Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2007   #1
Chrispy
Rookie

Lightbulb It's All Becoming Clear To Me Now!!!

With the Green signing all of the other stuff that is going on is beginning to make sense to me. Keep these things in mind:

1) We cut Moulds
2) We hear that we are attempting to trade up with Cleveland to get AP
3) We sign Green to go along with Williams, Gado, Lundy, Taylor, and Possibly Dayne.

Now answer this question:

Why would we want to trade Carr, and a couple of thirds for another RB? Also keep in mind we had the chance to get Bush last year and passed on him.

My answer:

The fact that we are attempting to trade for Clevelands 1st round (3rd) pick to get AP is only half right. Yes we are attempting to get the pick but it's not AP we are after, it's Calvin Johnson. We just leaked AP so that teams like Tampa wouldn't try to counter with a trade to Oakland or Detroit. What would it be like having the RBs we have plus a decent QB, whether it be Sage, Ramsey, or whoever with the Johnson and Johnson Recieving Duo?

Yes it's my little conspiracy but it would be optimal in my opinion. It would be worth giving up so much to get a freak like Calvin.

Give me your opinion and please, please don't leak this to the media. I don't want Tampa Bay or anyone else to catch on and trade for the first or second pick and snag him from us.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #2
trublu
Veteran

Default Re: It's All Becoming Clear To Me Now!!!

I was thinking the same thing.

I had heard the Texans were attempting to move up to get AP and that the trading partner was Cleveland. That seemed funny to me since I also hear Cleveland is interested in AP. Why would Cleveland trade out of a player they want? You most likely would trade one spot before the target player is expected to be drafted. So if we were to trade with Cleveland and it is expected that Tampa would take CJ, then the Texans are probably targeting CJ.

I know it is all conspiracy type stuff, but it made sense in my head.
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #3
autch14
Rookie

i totally agree with you. He's much better than any fa wr we would waste money on this off season.
autch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #4
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
With the Green signing all of the other stuff that is going on is beginning to make sense to me. Keep these things in mind:

1) We cut Moulds
3) We sign Green to go along with Williams, Gado, Lundy, Taylor, and Possibly Dayne.

Why would we want to trade Carr, and a couple of thirds for another RB? Also keep in mind we had the chance to get Bush last year and passed on him.

My answer:

The fact that we are attempting to trade for Clevelands 1st round (3rd) pick to get AP is only half right. Yes we are attempting to get the pick but it's not AP we are after, it's Calvin Johnson. We just leaked AP so that teams like Tampa wouldn't try to counter with a trade to Oakland or Detroit. What would it be like having the RBs we have plus a decent QB, whether it be Sage, Ramsey, or whoever with the Johnson and Johnson Recieving Duo?

Yes it's my little conspiracy but it would be optimal in my opinion. It would be worth giving up so much to get a freak like Calvin.

Give me your opinion and please, please don't leak this to the media. I don't want Tampa Bay or anyone else to catch on and trade for the first or second pick and snag him from us.
Hmmmmm sounds logical too me. I would either take Calvin or Adrian because they are okay in my book. I just wish we had Plummer.
Old 03-04-2007   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

heck either player would be fine with me but if we trade up to the 3rd overall pick and joe thomas is there then what do you do with the pick if you choosing between: thomas, peterson, and johnson...obviously by the 3rd pick one of those three won't be there but who would you chose
Old 03-04-2007   #6
macaronitoni
Rookie

No. Don't waste a number 1 pick on a WR with all the other pressing issues.
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #7
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post

1) We cut Moulds

My answer:

I would love to see it happen, but I think it will be hard to get that trade to happen.
I like your thinking though.
Old 03-04-2007   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

if we trade up I am not sure if I want another WR , maybe the lions fiasco scarred me, I want either a LT that is a monster, or a RB to chew up the yards (and clock) or a defensive back that can cover and we stop some people in key situations
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #9
Chrispy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
heck either player would be fine with me but if we trade up to the 3rd overall pick and joe thomas is there then what do you do with the pick if you choosing between: thomas, peterson, and johnson...obviously by the 3rd pick one of those three won't be there but who would you chose
Great Question. I was assuming Thomas would be gone but you're right at three we get one of those three and probably our choice between two of them. If I had to put them in order I'd put AP third simply because RB is our least needed now with Green's signing. That said if the other two were gone I would be happy to get AP. Now the choice between Thomas and Johnson would be very difficult. We've been saying since our first season that we need a stud OT to protect our QB and that would be a super smart choice but from what I have been hearing from watching the combine and draft reports from the experts Johnson is an amazing almost once in a lifetime pick and is as close to a "sure thing" as you can get. For that reason I'm partial to Johnson and would make my order Johnson, Thomas, Peterson.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #10
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying that taking a RB in the 1st seems all but impossible for Kubiak to do...and I'm not necessarily right yet, but I think it's safe to say he won't. I wondered in a post the other day if we'd take CJ. I'd certainly love the thought of having him, but I don't necessarily know if we need him that bad. Maybe we're just going to take a FS/DL like we really need. Who knows though, that's the fun of having to wait, right....RIGHT?!?!?!
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #11
mikey21
Lifer

Rep Power: 10 mikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotmikey21 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

the pick up of green gives the texans many more options

1. they can trade up and grab either johnson or peterson
2. trade down and grab more picks
3. grab best player at the 8 spot

what i would like to see is trade down grab more picks because the texans are a long ways off from where they want to be, but if they were to move up and grab johnson the offense would all of the sudden take on an explosive look. one thing to remember is this, kubiak loves to run the ball and all 4 teams in the 2 conference championship games had a two headed monster running the ball (saints-mcallister/bush, bears-jones/benson, colts-addai/rhodes, patriots-dillion/maroney), so grabbing petterson is not out of the question, if they stay put at the 8 spot and peterson and johnson are gone i would not mind seeing them grabbing branch, okoye or landry to help the defense out even more. so here we are guessing and speculating on what is going to happen next and with that the mystery begins till the draft. all this being said even though it is one free agent signing i like what the front office has done thus far and look forward to what else they have in store for the texan fans
Old 03-04-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

very interesting. good points...

1. I don't want us to trade up at all. If we did, I'd take CJ (safest pick in draft..followed by Landry and Willis)

2. I have my own conspiracy theory...Tampa Bay signed Garcia so oakland cant take him, they also pushed plummer into 'retirement'...why would they go after 2 FA QB's when they have simms and grakoski one might ask...It's cuz they are trying to force oakland to take jamarcus russell seeing how FA is even more limited....Tampa Bay then would have a better shot at getting Calvin Johnson! thats my tin foil hat ideas...

3. another conspiracy is us showing so much interest in quinn so someone will trade up ahead of us to draft him. Thus giving us a better chance of getting Laron Landry at 8. and then we take kolb in the 3rd.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #13
staind755
Rookie

Great question. I sure sure wouldn't mind seing AP and Greene in the backfield pounding that Defense come the 4th quarter with a 7 point lead. Nor would I mind seeing Jonhsnon & Johnson opposite opposite of each other. Can't double team both of them. Greene and Dayne pounding the ball, and Johnson & Johnson making the T.D catches. You gotta love the offseason. Every teams can believe their the next best thing. Just like the Saints did, from 3-13 to N.F.C Championship. Go Texans!
staind755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #14
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

I think we should go after CJ or Thomas.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #15
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
very interesting. good points...

1. I don't want us to trade up at all. If we did, I'd take CJ (safest pick in draft..followed by Landry and Willis)

2. I have my own conspiracy theory...Tampa Bay signed Garcia so oakland cant take him, they also pushed plummer into 'retirement'...why would they go after 2 FA QB's when they have simms and grakoski one might ask...It's cuz they are trying to force oakland to take jamarcus russell seeing how FA is even more limited....Tampa Bay then would have a better shot at getting Calvin Johnson! thats my tin foil hat ideas...

3. another conspiracy is us showing so much interest in quinn so someone will trade up ahead of us to draft him. Thus giving us a better chance of getting Laron Landry at 8. and then we take kolb in the 3rd.
I don't think Kolb is part of the big plans as Houstonians would like, but the other points look good. The whole world knows that Gruden wants CJ, he's trying to force the Raiders to take Russell. Not only is he playing hard ball w/ the Raiders, but he is with the Texans as well. Gruden wants to see if we will bite and give up a draft pick, I would not be surprised if Tampa cut Plummer right after the draft. Then again they could keep Plummer's rights to ensure the stays retired. The NFL is a cut-throat business!
Old 03-05-2007   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

way to blow our cover.
Old 03-05-2007   #17
A Texan
Veteran

The Texans seem to be reluctant to give up draft picks , so I don't think they'll trade up. Also, it seems to be the wrong thing to do at this time when we have a lot of needs. If they did, though, I would think they would do it to get Thomas.
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #18
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

umm i don't know about the rest of yall but this is all real clear, clear as mud
Old 03-05-2007   #19
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's a really good idea. The ONLY way I would trade up would be to get Thomas. Then using a 2nd rd. pick (assuming we trade Carr, 1st rd pick, & 3rd rd pick) we draft Michael Griffin or Brandon Merriweather. That would be an A draft IMO with David Ball in the 5th round.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
I think we should go after CJ or Thomas.
With all the talk about getting playmakers... I'm betting on Thomas.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read