Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-04-2007   #1
jmlockett
Rookie

Default Kolb ??????????????

From what I have read this kid is pretty good. I hate to say it but.........
let's say we keep DC for one more year or find a suitable vet for a yr or two and bring in this kid, Coach Kubiak would then have his student to mentor and we could keep him safe until the OL gets gelled together. Oh yeah and heres a plus if we keep DC then he is perfect fit for the role he would play while we are working on the line............. cannon fodder.
jmlockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #2
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kolb ??????????????

kolb or stanton in the 4th. that would be sweet.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #3
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
Would love to get Stanton but I don't think he lasts till the 4th round have seen mocks that have him going as high as late 2nd early 3rd do to lack of QB's in this years draft. From what I've read Kolb improved his stock to late 3rd early 4th rounds. We shall see.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
Don't think either one will last to the 4th rd. Stanton may go in the 2nd and Kolb could go in the 2nd but probably the 3rd is more likely. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #5
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

we're not drafting a qb.
Old 03-04-2007   #6
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
we're not drafting a qb.
I disagree. I feel we will get at least one to try and please the fans. Not many fans want Carr back at QB unless he comes out hard and well. I feel that Kubiak is looking at Quinn right now hard and seeing if he could fit our system and how quick he could learn it.

As for Kolb, I just don't feel comfortable with him. I don't know why to be honest.

Last edited by Stros5Texans80; 03-05-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Stanton a spread offense QB? And isn't Kolb also? I'm always leary of college spread offense QBs.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2007   #8
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Kolb ??????????????

Kevin Kolb: Quick, smart decisions. That sums up Kevin's greatest strength right there. He has a Quarterback's brain. I dare say Kevin will be the smartest QB taken in the draft.

Those quick, smart decisions allowed him to throw 30 td's this season while only throwing 4 interceptions. 3 of the interceptions were deflections off his receivers.

He is mobile and has a strong arm. He is a leader on offense while on the field and is very involved on the sidelines with the coaching staff and offensive unit.

And while people may critisize UH's offense as some pass happy run and shoot, bear in mind, the Cougars ran more than they passed this season.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Yuck. Dave Ragone II. I'll believe it when I see it happen.
Old 03-04-2007   #10
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill View Post
we're not drafting a qb.
We will draft a QB somewhere. I do believe that Kubiak and Smith have their minds on a QB somewhere in the draft. Kubiak wants a guy that at the very least he can have on the sidelines and groom.
Old 03-04-2007   #11
Texanator14
Rookie

Don't you guys think that you're acting like homers. From what I've heard he doesn't seem very talented and will never become an adequate NFL starter.
Texanator14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #12
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you can call out homerism if the guy's not from UT or A&M.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #13
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I guess I'm a "homer" then because Kevin Kolb fits Kubiak's idea of a QB to a T. He's a fairly mobile guy who can throw on the run, or stand in and deliver an accurate throw.

He also played with no playbook in college, which means he should be able to handle the load in the NFL. I like the idea of taking Kolb, possibly in the 3rd round.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #14
texas mopar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Well I guess I'm a "homer" then because Kevin Kolb fits Kubiak's idea of a QB to a T. He's a fairly mobile guy who can throw on the run, or stand in and deliver an accurate throw.

He also played with no playbook in college, which means he should be able to handle the load in the NFL. I like the idea of taking Kolb, possibly in the 3rd round.
I agree draft Kolb and let Sage and Carr compete for the starting !!!! Lets spend the rest of our money and energy on the rest of the team, we have lots of needs!
Old 03-04-2007   #15
old football fan
Veteran

Kolb improved his draft status at the combine. He can make all the throws that the NFL requires of a QB. His 40 time was reported at 4.78, But being a QB he doesn't have to be fast. All the teams were inpressed with his football knowledge as he explained the system that UH ran this year. It was reported that Kubiak and Rick Smith were just blown away with Kolb after they interviewed him. Can't say for sure but he might be a Texan next season, especially if Carr is dealt away to another team.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I'd rather us take him in the 3rd than Quinn in the 1st. Nothing against quinn...i think he'll be great. I think our OL needs to develop more before we put our 'franchise' QB behind them....again. Kolb would be cheaper and be able to sit a year or two without costing a fortune. It would also allow us to use our 1st on a postion of other importance/need as a franchise texan.

From what i've hear people say about kolb, what has been written about him, scouts/kubes like him, and the highlight reel and 3 interviews i've watched him on youtube. he seems very intelligent and i like what i saw. hope he's there in the 3rd for us...and they pull the trigger.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros5Texans80 View Post
I disagree. I feel we will get at least once to try and bring another one in to try and please the fans. Not many fans want Carr back at QB unless he comes out hard and well. I feel that Kubiak is looking at Quinn right now hard and seeing if he could fit our system and how quick he could learn it.
Until I HEAR bob mcnair say we are drafting a qb then I won't believe it. at this point if we even waited until the 5th or 6th round to draft a qb the fans would call for him to start as soon as possible just b/c they hate carr so much now.

If we are getting rid of carr all together fine. If we are keeping him I dont need his confidence any more screwed than it probably already is.
Old 03-04-2007   #18
macaronitoni
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros5Texans80 View Post
I disagree. I feel we will get at least once to try and bring another one in to try and please the fans. Not many fans want Carr back at QB unless he comes out hard and well. I feel that Kubiak is looking at Quinn right now hard and seeing if he could fit our system and how quick he could learn it.

As for Kolb, I just don't feel comfortable with him. I don't know why to be honest.
The Texans FO has shown they don't give a flip what the fans what.
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #19
macaronitoni
Rookie

Default Someone fill me in on Kolb

I've heard many say Kolb will be great. I've heard many say he'll never start a game in the NFL. I've heard many good reasons why he will be great. But I've heard no real arguement why he won't be good enough to play in the NFL. Any takers?

Hmm...not good enough to play in the NFL.....sound familiar? (give you a hint, another hometown guy)
macaronitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #20
Xman
Veteran

My scouting report on Kolb(from 4 years of UH games):

Kolb is worth a 3rd round pick (and I think he will be there for us despite rumors that he goes earlier). As far as the Kolb hype, it is easier to hype a player you have seen play for 4 years - not just once or twice on tv.
My scouting report on Kolb:
Pocket Presence: As a freshman, he looked like a pro. He slid a little after that but bounced back as a senior. Overall, one of the best at feeling the pressure coming out in a long while.
Arm Strength: Solid. He can throw a deep ball with accuracy and timing. But, he has not shown the ability to throw the "fastball" across the middle.
Ability to make multiple reads (the one thing Carr can't do - which, until this last year, we blamed on the OL): Kolb can make the reads and check off. The system required t and he has really gotten good at it.
Release: Slow. Will need work.

Biggest Weaknesses:
1) timing over the middle: This was weak during his junior year. It was not a noticable problem his senior year, but the team had a tendency to work the sidelines which left the middle open when he did go inside.
2) lack of risk: after reviewing game film, Kolb decided that hs interceptions were losing games. So, his senior year, he took fewer risks. His 30 Tds to only 4 Ints looks great and helped the team win. But, there were a few times that he should have taken more risks and counted on his arm to make it happen.
3) Release is an issue. Needs to be faster.

Biggest Strengths:
1) The deep ball: Wonderful timing going deep.
2) Leadership: He is a leader.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read