Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-04-2007   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Donte' Stallworth: Worth a shot?

I know he's had a lot of injuries, but when he's healthy, he's pretty good. It appears that Philly doesn't want to pay him much, so we might be able to slip in & take him away for a relatively small price. Would he interest any of you?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Quote:
Eagles | Team still open to re-signing Stallworth
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 08:59:17 -0800

Marc Narducci and Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are still open to re-signing free agent WR Donte' Stallworth (Eagles). However, the team will not do it at an astronomical price.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #2
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Donte' Stallworth: Worth a shot?

The team still needs to add a WR and along with Antonio Bryant he's probably the most talented receiver available right now. Depending on the cost it would be worth a look.
Old 03-04-2007   #3
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

He burned our butts for a few plays and touchdowns . . .Why not!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I know he's had a lot of injuries, but when he's healthy, he's pretty good. It appears that Philly doesn't want to pay him much, so we might be able to slip in & take him away for a relatively small price. Would he interest any of you?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
When he went to Philly, he was compared to some on these boards to Cory Bradford. I think we saw that he has much more to offer than Bradford. He is a pretty dynamic receiver who would make things easier on the other side for AJ. I think he might be had for a acceptable price, so I would be all for making an offer.
IMO, he would easily be the best threat we have ever put on the field with AJ.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would he interest any of you?
If Stallworth would take the same
2-year, $4.3 million deal that Lelie got from the Niners, sure. If he's looking for $10 million in guaranteed money, no way. Other than dominating a weak Texan secondary, what did Stallworth do last season?
Old 03-04-2007   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I remember he burned the Saints in the playoffs. I think he made big plays all season...certainly more than the Texans did.
Old 03-04-2007   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I remember he burned the Saints in the playoffs.
OK, so he dominated 2 bad secondarys. He caught 5 TDs for the regular season. Like I said, Ashley Lelie money.
Old 03-04-2007   #8
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
OK, so he dominated 2 bad secondarys. He caught 5 TDs for the regular season. Like I said, Ashley Lelie money.
Id be willing to give him more money then Lelie, but not that much more. I hope we at least make an attempt.
Old 03-04-2007   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

On only 38 catches he had 725 yards for a 19.1 average and 5 tds. Not spectacular, granted, but still worth a look. I think he's better than Lelie, and worth a tiny bit more.
Stallworth also put up 139 on Washington and 111 on Carolina.
He's a pretty big step up from Moulds as far as being a threat that draws attention away from AJ and also away from the LOS.
Old 03-04-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we take a long hard look at him. his injuries worry me but other than that he's a darn good receiver, and better than any wr2 we've ever had.

if we can pick him up and travis henry...that clears the draft up a little meaning we don't necessarily have to address RB or WR.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #11
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Stallworth would take the same
2-year, $4.3 million deal that Lelie got from the Niners, sure. If he's looking for $10 million in guaranteed money, no way. Other than dominating a weak Texan secondary, what did Stallworth do last season?
I agree that you wouldn't want to pay him too much money. But, since he's still young, I could see going as high as 3-4 years @ $6-12 million with little to no guaranteed money & a signing bonus of $1.5-2 million. To get him to sign off on it, you'd probably have to make the $12 million attainable, but contingent upon his staying healthy. If he stays healthy, $3 million a year is pretty cheap for a #2 WR that could be a #1 on many teams.

As for what he's done, imo, it's not so much what he's done, as what he brings to the team. He's a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field. He's a playmaker. Sending him deep would force the safeties to play him & not double up on AJ. They couldn't afford to let him get behind them.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-04-2007   #12
Lucky

Quote:
As for what he's done, imo, it's not so much what he's done, as what he brings to the team. He's a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field.
I'll agree with that. But, this draft is deep in WRs who can do the same. And much cheaper. I'm also just a little leary of players whose performance ramps up in a contract year.
Old 03-04-2007   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm also just a little leary of players whose performance ramps up in a contract year.
Hehe. Show me one that doesn't.

The Texan Bull Rush
Old 03-04-2007   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Hehe. Show me one that doesn't.
Jamal Lewis?

I know, I know, rhetorical statement.
Old 03-04-2007   #15
michaelm
vox nihili

I know one thing. If we are somehow able to land Stallworth and A. Green
or Stallworth and T. Henry, we are a much better offensive team than last year...
I think Stallworth might be fooling himself into believing that he is a #1WR, and that may cost us a shot at him...
Old 03-04-2007   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Stallworth Not Attracting Attention?

As scout.com pointed out earlier this week, league sources indicated that free agent WR Donte’ Stallworth might not get signed in the early part of free agency because there’s a belief that he wants too much money in signing bonus dollars ($10-$12 million). Sources believe the bonus money will come in much lower ($6-$8 million on a multi-year deal) based on his injury history but as the story goes, it only takes one team to over pay.

As noted previously, Stallworth, when healthy last season, was very productive but hamstring problems limited him to 12 games.

But because there teams with serious wide receiver issues (San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, and Tennessee Titans), the market for the six-year veteran could start to heat up.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=623755
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think stallworth would be a great complementary reciever to andre...he just needs to sign for a very heavy incentive deal...one where it's all based on performance
Old 03-05-2007   #18
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Someone posted on another board that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance abuse program, meaning that one violation will result in a 4-game suspension. Might be why teams are a bit gun-shy right now...
Old 03-05-2007   #19
AtheGreat
Veteran

Bryant > Stallworth
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats View Post
Someone posted on another board that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance abuse program, meaning that one violation will result in a 4-game suspension. Might be why teams are a bit gun-shy right now...
ouch...doesn't look good for him being in houston. If we did really want to sign him, would it be possible to structure is contract around that and playing time? cuz he also has injury concers. i guess kinda like incentives, right?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read