Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2007   #1
trutxn
Veteran

Default Rick Smith working hard.

The Houston Texans GM is very wise and is pulling out all the stops to help our salary cap issues as well as team talent. He and Kubes will have a winner in Houston in no time. Next years salary cap looks better, there is no scheduled "dead" money, meaning we will not be paying players on other teams. Itís exciting watching the transition of the Texans.
Old 03-03-2007   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Rick Smith working hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn View Post
The Houston Texans GM is very wise and is pulling out all the stops to help our salary cap issues as well as team talent. He and Kubes will have a winner in Houston in no time. Next years salary cap looks better, there is no scheduled "dead" money, meaning we will not be paying players on other teams. Itís exciting watching the transition of the Texans.
you are the houston texans FO
Old 03-04-2007   #3
mike230765
Rookie

I am excited about next year if we have another good draft this year. If we are not going to keep carr for his full contract then i hope trade him this year and take his cap hit now. If we can get as many starts out of this years draft as we did last year I will be very excited about next year. As I understand Matt Schaub of the falcons will be an unrestricted free agent next year as long as the falcons don't trade him this year. If we can fill in some new starters this year and then have alot of money next year for him and possibly one or two more top free agents it will be a good plan by Mr. Smith and Co.
mike230765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

The sad fact is that with all the dead money the Texans have, we aren't going to be able to sign many free agents of substance. Maybe a guy for depth here or there, but the real improvement is probably going to be through the draft. Geez, the Texans are already having salary cap problems...most teams don't have them until they actually start winning.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #5
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn View Post
Itís exciting watching the transition of the Texans.
Yep, it's kinda like watching a new house being built.

One week they frame it, next week the roof goes on, the next week the brick goes on, next week they paint it and you think, "hey, that's kinda nice"...

This house might take a couple of years to build, though....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #6
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Throw me in the excited camp too.

I like what our front office has been doing since they got rid of Casserley. We are building a team to be competitive for the long term, and with the right draft I think we will continue to become more competitive in the short term.
Old 03-04-2007   #7
BleedTheBurntOrange
Rookie

Im excited as well building it the right way this time
Old 03-04-2007   #8
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The sad fact is that with all the dead money the Texans have, we aren't going to be able to sign many free agents of substance. Maybe a guy for depth here or there, but the real improvement is probably going to be through the draft. Geez, the Texans are already having salary cap problems...most teams don't have them until they actually start winning.
true but we overpaid for a lot of dross, Wade, Moulds, Robaire Smith. I was trying to think of who else isn't with us but my mind has gone blank.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #9
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post

One week they frame it, next week the roof goes on, the next week the brick goes on, next week they paint it and you think, "hey, that's kinda nice"...

This house might take a couple of years to build, though....
Wait!...this house also needs the AC man...err AP man, and the plummer.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #10
NFLforher
All Pro

[quote=Arky;613512]Yep, it's kinda like watching a new house being built.

One week they frame it, next week the roof goes on, the next week the brick goes on, next week they paint it and you think, "hey, that's kinda nice"... QUOTE]

...and then the tornado hits and you have to start all over again.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=NFLforher;613710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post

One week they frame it, next week the roof goes on, the next week the brick goes on, next week they paint it and you think, "hey, that's kinda nice"... QUOTE]

...and then the tornado hits and you have to start all over again.
The tornado already hit, and we're ordering new building material and delivering it to the job site. But before we start framing walls, it's very important that we take out that cracked slab that was poured in April '02 when the house was being built.

And termites are a beech. Ferens and Casserly never bothered to treat that area, but Smith and Chris Olsen seems to have a much better handle on that...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what smith is doing, i think he's going to be the GM we wish we always had. He's making the necessary cuts to help us in future years.

Does anyone else see them waiting until June 1st to cut Domanick? I think they would save more money by waiting till then...but that whole thing confuses me. I really see them releasing him though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #13
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

..... it's very important that we take out that cracked slab that was poured in April '02 when the house was being built.

Or get Atlas Foundation to repair it:

"Works like a giant screw" - Nolan Ryan

(610 listeners will get it)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #14
Scottyboy
Veteran

Working Hard.....or......Hardly Workin

Havnt seen anything yet Ricky!!!

Show me Something!!
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we need to install a cable-lock between David's ears.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=aj.;613725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLforher View Post

The tornado already hit, and we're ordering new building material and delivering it to the job site. But before we start framing walls, it's very important that we take out that cracked slab that was poured in April '02 when the house was being built.

And termites are a beech. Ferens and Casserly never bothered to treat that area, but Smith and Chris Olsen seems to have a much better handle on that...
agreed. It's hard after five years of saying to be patient, to do just that agian. But that is where we are. The fact they aren't reaching for quick fixes is a very good sign. We just gotta keep suporting them and BELIEVE, that we'll turn the corner very soon. Gonna be like nails on the chalk board next season. But the suffering will be worth it in the long run. Keep holding the rope and don't let go. They're close and are on the correct path. I realy believe that.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-04-2007 at 12:58 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #17
Scottyboy
Veteran

House Anolgy is terrible... lol This is a *** Train Wreck
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I beleive if Rick Smith was here last year (FA/Draft) things would be entirely different despite cap hell, bartender

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Maybe we need to install a cable-lock between David's ears.
I'm really going to miss these in the future. They've been so illuminating if not entertaining. Never under estimate mans ablity to kick a mortially wounded dog when its down. Nice character there A.J. . You're a prince.
Old 03-04-2007   #20
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Put me in the catergory that knows we have been done wrong from the C & C era...

We will feel the ill effects of that disease for some time. But the future looks bright. I have a wait and see attitude. Another good draft this year like last years, and we will all be seeing rewards for the pain and suffering. We all agree on 1 thing, that something is wrong, but we all DO NOT agree with what those things are. (Notice I said that in a plural sence). More problems than I care to list...

I have allot of money invested in my team, and I don't want a band-aid fix type of approach. I want the problems stitched up with a shot of penacillin(sp?) so that it doesn't get infected...

I certainly don't expect any over night miracles... But do want to see us get better each year. Then before we know it, we will be contenders... Serious ones at that...

So bring in a Master Plumber to get the job done correctly and not just a Plummer...

Maybe I am just crazy or something, but with a good draft this year, I will be all gitty inside waiting for next year's draft when some more cream of the crop QB's come out...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read