Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2007   #1
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Misguided Optimism rears its ugly head again

I waited until i counted to ten....10 different posters predicting a 10 win season next year, if we roll with Carr and Sage battling it out, and maybe some better o-line and rb play. What kind of battle red crack pipe are you people hitting. 10 wins??? We threw for TWO touchdown passes in our last TEN GAMES. We crawled to six wins, and it took freak fate (i.e. kris brown hitting a field goal and david carr hitting a reciever) to beat indy. and we are going to be twice that good? With our big free agent signing of ________? I swear to god sometimes this Stay the course mantra wears thin. We aren't that close guys...I just hate to see people get their hopes up around this time of year, then get them brutally trampled on during the season. People last year on this date were predicting 12-4 with a straight face. Lets be real folks, our pumpkin isn't going to magically turn chariot overnight..we have to make some major changes or we will repeat the same results.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Misguided Optimism rears its ugly head again

oh yeah...and predicting 10 wins when we've never made it to 8 is kinda twisted as well. Im all for supporting the home team, but come on guys

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 03-04-2007   #3
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

move pitts over to left tackle, winston right tackle, FA guard/tackle to fill pitts spot. trade up and take peterson in the draft, take QB in 2nd or 3rd round and MAKE Carr throw down the field all year long starting at training camp, and we get 10 wins, if the defense progresses with the young guys and kris brown is even moderately accurate we get 11-12 wins and a playoff spot, My oppinion.
Old 03-04-2007   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
move pitts over to left tackle, winston right tackle, FA guard/tackle to fill pitts spot. trade up and take peterson in the draft, take QB in 2nd or 3rd round and MAKE Carr throw down the field all year long starting at training camp, and we get 10 wins, if the defense progresses with the young guys and kris brown is even moderately accurate we get 11-12 wins and a playoff spot, My oppinion.
if we trade up to get AP, then we don't have a 2nd or 3rd to draft a qb

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 03-04-2007   #5
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
We don't need to trade up to get a running back. Michael Bush will be available at #8. People on this board need to stop sweating AP.....granted he is good but MB is every bit the running back AP is. JMO
Old 03-04-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Thats why we don't move up and keep all our draft picks. Strengthen our O and D lines.

I say we could have an 8-8 season.

Last year we lose the Washington game cus Thomas Johnson gets a personal foul on Orr's run back for a TD. We lose the Giants and Bills game cus Cook can't hang on to the football. We lost the first Titan game cus Stanley kicked right to Pacman.

We hung around in quit a few games last year, we just were not good enough to over come our mistakes.

Hopefully after this draft we can fill some holes and show we have something to be positive about.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

look at it this way- are the Texans improved from their intitial expansion year (2002)?

yes

cornerstones @ WR (AJ) CB (DR) & DE (MW).

improved depth.

better coaching.

salary/cap structure improving towards the future.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2007   #8
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
We don't need to trade up to get a running back. Michael Bush will be available at #8. People on this board need to stop sweating AP.....granted he is good but MB is every bit the running back AP is. JMO

The problem is that you can probably get Michael Bush with our 2nd round pick.... there is no need to go all Buffalo on the NFL and take someone so high just to make sure you get him.. there are greater values at the #8 than Michael Bush.

I think you don't see the Front Office targeting a safety or OT at this point because they have to assume they will be drafting at #8, and that is where you can pick up Landry or Levi Brown.... or one of a plethora of DL. So until something changes radically in the draft, the front office will continue to look to fill the positions they don't intend to fill in the draft (WR, QB, and apparently RB).

I am all for AP, but I don't se him falling all teh way to 8th. You'll get trade up scenarios on draft day if he is available at #4 through 6.
Old 03-04-2007   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
The problem is that you can probably get Michael Bush with our 2nd round pick.... there is no need to go all Buffalo on the NFL and take someone so high just to make sure you get him.. there are greater values at the #8 than Michael Bush.

I think you don't see the Front Office targeting a safety or OT at this point because they have to assume they will be drafting at #8, and that is where you can pick up Landry or Levi Brown.... or one of a plethora of DL. So until something changes radically in the draft, the front office will continue to look to fill the positions they don't intend to fill in the draft (WR, QB, and apparently RB).

I am all for AP, but I don't se him falling all teh way to 8th. You'll get trade up scenarios on draft day if he is available at #4 through 6.
I appreciate your point of view, but MB will be gone by round 2. JMO again.
Old 03-04-2007   #10
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
I am curious who you think will take Michael Bush in teh first round. I can see him going early in the 2nd maybe, but who in the bottom half needs a RB as their first pick.
Old 03-04-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

optimism, regardless how misguided is not a bad thing. Personally, I believe if we, the fans who don't know spit from shinola, can't be optomistic about our team, then how can the players??

We've got to be optomistic, so our cheers at reliant won't be empty.

I don't want to be excited about a team that believes 7-9 or 8-8 is to high an expectation.

I recall a team, not anymore talented than we are now, that went 4-12 in '05 go 10-6 in '07... & I don't believe they did that, thinking they'd be lucky to go 8-8. They did that, by believing they could win every game.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think our team should even suit up, if they don't think they can win on Sunday.
Old 03-04-2007   #12
kcwilson
All Pro

Quote:
I can see Cleveland, us, GB, maybe the Jets (I doubt it), and make the case for the Ravens, drafting a RB.... But I don't see us doing it if AP is off the board, I see GB taking the 2nd best back, Lynch... but the Jets and Ravens have other areas to focus on and I think there are better players at that level. After that, the reast of the teams have dual backs, and/or just drafted a 1st round back last year.

I don't see Bush in the first based on team needs and BPA.
Old 03-04-2007   #13
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is pretty clear that the team is focusing on Landry at number 8 unless AP somehow drops to us. Either they bring in a veteran qb to battle with Sage or spend a second/third on a qb. I really like AP and think he can be a stud; however, we cannot afford to trade one single draft pick this year to move up and grab him or to bring in Plummer...Just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2007   #14
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

I do not beleive that we will be moving up, in fact, I beleive that the Texans front office is in the rebuilding phase with the cleaning house which looks to be in preperation for the 2008 season. Carr will be trade fodder (to who, for who is anybodies guess) and like Adam Schefter (sp?) said on NFL Network, "The Texans will take Brady Quinn at the #8 spot."

As much as I don't like the idea of this scenerio coming down on draft day, I can't help but beleive it is the likely scenerio. I do not think that the front office is poised for a playoff run in 07, but rather in 08.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exithios View Post
I do not beleive that we will be moving up, in fact, I beleive that the Texans front office is in the rebuilding phase with the cleaning house which looks to be in preperation for the 2008 season. Carr will be trade fodder (to who, for who is anybodies guess) and like Adam Schefter (sp?) said on NFL Network, "The Texans will take Brady Quinn at the #8 spot."
As much as I don't like the idea of this scenerio coming down on draft day, I can't help but beleive it is the likely scenerio. I do not think that the front office is poised for a playoff run in 07, but rather in 08.
Every now and again he is wrong. Lets hope he's wrong. Please be wrong. I think this is one of those things where the Texans are trying to make the number 8 pick enticing. Make someone who wants Quinn to trade with us and acquire more draft picks. At least I hope so.

If not I hope AJ has a spot picked out for all of us to meet at for the riot.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Every now and again he is wrong. Lets hope he's wrong. Please be wrong. I think this is one of those things where the Texans are trying to make the number 8 pick enticing. Make someone who wants Quinn to trade with us and acquire more draft picks. At least I hope so.

If not I hope AJ has a spot picked out for all of us to meet at for the riot.
My only question is why all the negitivity towards Quinn ? What did the guy have 64 TDs to 14 interceptions the last two seasons ? The only guy besides Quinn who would of gotten a first round grade is Jeff Samaradzija off the ND team.
Why is it you don't like the guy becuase he played for ND ? The guy appears on the surface to be a Brady like canidate. If we are in the rebuilding mode and they've got a deep draft to fill sore spots why not take the second best QB in this class ?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...It/default.htm

Quote:
Said one astute, high-ranking evaluator, whose team has no need for a quarterback, of the draft's top two quarterbacks: “Physically, arm-strength-wise, there is no question who has the advantage. But if you want to talk about mental aptitude, ability to escape pressure and make good decisions, it's not even close. There is a big ‘miss’ factor on Russell. He had a lot of up-and-down games, and he makes a lot of bad decisions. He's sitting in the middle of the second round right now on our board. He'll never make it that far, but that’s where his value is. After Quinn, I would be sweating if I needed a quarterback from the rest of this crop.”

If Davis fails to land a veteran passer such as Houston’s David Carr, who has been thrown on the trading block after his struggles last year, or Byron Leftwich, who may be dealt despite Jack Del Rio’s statement that he is the Jaguars’ starter for 2007, don't be surprised if Quinn, not Russell, winds up becoming the first overall pick. Davis could be among those who are scared off by the red flags surrounding Russell and thus opt for Quinn. That could leave Russell, despite the concerns, falling only, like Young, to the No. 3 spot, where fellow Mobile, Ala., native and Browns GM Phil Savage would be waiting with open arms, the way we hear it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-04-2007 at 12:31 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Heck, this is nothing. Ibar Harry had a billion posts in 2002 prior to the games...all predicting that Carr leads us to the super bowl in his rookie year (you can't make this kind of stuff up)....poor Ibar hasn't been the same since then. I think he still has his "fire capers club" avatar.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #18
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
My only question is why all the negitivity towards Quinn ? What did the guy have 64 TDs to 14 interceptions the last two seasons ? The only guy besides Quinn who would of gotten a first round grade is Jeff Samaradzija off the ND team.
Why is it you don't like the guy becuase he played for ND ? The guy appears on the surface to be a Brady like canidate. If we are in the rebuilding mode and they've got a deep draft to fill sore spots why not take the second best QB in this class ?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...It/default.htm
I am not against getting Quinn myself, I am just sort of against not shoring up a more pressing need. But I am also sold on the fact that IF we were to get Quinn, the rest will fall into place by the 08 season. Man my head hurts LOL.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
I think it is pretty clear that the team is focusing on Landry at number 8 unless AP somehow drops to us. Either they bring in a veteran qb to battle with Sage or spend a second/third on a qb. I really like AP and think he can be a stud; however, we cannot afford to trade one single draft pick this year to move up and grab him or to bring in Plummer...Just my opinion.
Can you explain why you think this is pretty clear? I hope you're right because he' my favorite for the pick.

I think in the 2nd Ryan Kalil would do wonders for our team....he's smart and a perfect fit for us. It's highly doubtful he lasts there so I would use our 5th rounder to add to our 2nd rounder to move up a few spots.. the teams at the top of the 2nd look like they may take him... he's the only one i would spend an extra pick on and that's because he'd be here for a decade and we are desperate at C.

i'm not against quinn at this point but he's not my favorite. if he's there i think we pull the trigger and select him. i just really hope we get landry.

Back to what this thread is about.. I don't know what our record is going to be next year...i'd be thrilled with 8-8. Our FO is doing thing right and trying to build this up for the long haul...we're not spending freely during this FA because there is no reason to and we're not gonna make the playoffs in 07. They are still getting rid of the guys we don't need and dont need to pony up $$$ for. I expect to see Domanick out next...he's due like $5-6 million dollar salary on top of his 1mill bonus...too much for him.

they are freeing up a lot of cap space for us next year. we will have more than twice the amount we have this year. our team will slowly improve...throw in another good draft this year and next....next year's free agency when we have like 25 million...and then talk about playoffs.

I think we may get a winning record finally in 2008. i'm trying to 'real' here but i love the texans and hope they always win. i like what smith is doing here and think he's going to be the GM we wish we'd always had.

they did the ugly work last year that they had to and they still have to do it this year...next offseason is going to be fun fun fun!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #20
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Bush will be available in the 2nd round. #8 is too high to take him.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read