Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-03-2007   #1
freedoggy77
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to freedoggy77
Default Ideal Mock Draft for Texans

Here is what I think would be a great draft weekend for Houston-

Round 1- LaRon Landry S (unless Peterson is available)
Round 2- Ryan Kalil C
Round 3- Kevin Kolb QB
Round 4- Tarell Brown CB
Round 5- Andy Alleman OG
Round 6- Jarret Hicks WR
Round 7- Justin Medlock K

and Ramonce Taylor HB as an undrafted FA
Old 03-03-2007   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Mock Draft for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedoggy77 View Post

Round 2- Ryan Kalil C
Round 3- Kevin Kolb QB
Round 4- Tarell Brown CB
Round 5- Andy Alleman OG
Round 6- Jarret Hicks WR

wheres the pick for David Carr?

Spencer is fully recoverd or at least can fill the RT postion while Winston moves to LT?

LaRon Landry- superstar
Ryan Kalil- all-pro
Kevin Kolb- franchise QB
Tarell Brown- great value
Andy Alleman- address depth (but gone in 3rd)
Jaret Hicks- Waltersesqe
Justin Medlock- steal

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Man those look really good! I would love if the draft happened like that.

I love LANDRY-1
I love KALIL-2
I'm warming up to KOLB in the 3rd -great to learn for a year or so...
Tarell brown in the 4th would be good for me...our secondary would be sweet.

the rest of the players i don't know much about. i think we're gonna get a RB in FA this offseason. Romance would be a good Undrafted pick up too.

I would love Landry/Kalil/Kolb/Brown!!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I like it, but this is what I'm looking at as of right now (without any free agent signings)

1.) Laron Landry S
2.) Aaron Ross CB
3.) Jason Hill WR
4.) Prescott Burgess OLB
5.) Marcus Thomas DT (Hoping he'll fall here with his character issues)
6.) Kasey Studdard OT
7.) Jared Zabransky QB
Old 03-03-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Round 2- Ryan Kalil C
Round 3- Kevin Kolb QB
Round 4- Tarell Brown CB
Round 5- Andy Alleman OG
Round 6- Jarret Hicks WR

The first two rounds are good, but after that it is just downhill, really fast...until the 7th at least.
Old 03-03-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

okay seeing how Ryan Kalil is my favorite for our 2nd round selection, i doubt he's there when we select. I was thinking if he doesn't go 1st round. we've go oakland, detroit, CLEVELAND, tampa bay, arizona, and washington to worry about.

With Bently being injured...is his career done? i think the browns would be smart to pick him up.

I think if he's still there when the browns are up to pick we should consider trading up for him. I don't normally want us to trade up at all..we need those picks but...in this case i think we should...he'd solidify our C position for a decade, we have pitts and weary as guards, and just have to worry about winston and spencer..next years tackle class will be awesome so whether spencer comes back healthy enough or not we can pick up a stud for opposite him next year.

We have the 7th pick in the 2nd round. That's worth 510 points. throw in our 5th round pick worth 38 pts and that's a total of 548 pts. Clevelands 2nd rounder is worth 550 points.

While Peterson is the very popular pick for the Browns, there is still a chance Jamarcus Russell or Joe Thomas could fall to them...would they take either over Peterson? If so..they might like to grab our 5th rounder and then select Michael Bush for their Running Back with the 2nd rounder of ours.

I doubt Peterson would fall to us anyways...some one would trade up with washington would be my guess or minny might select him.

Think about the browns having Jamarcus Russell or Joe Thomas AND Michael Bush.

Think about us having Laron Landry AND Ryan Kalil. I think we're going to get our RB in FA this year...maybe Henry or Green?

Again if Kalil is there in the 2nd I'd give the Browns our 5th rounder to take him. We would most likely have used that 5th rounder on a project Tackle or Guard...or maybe a cornerback that wouldn't beat out faggins.

Anybody else on board!!!!!???? lets go get landry and kalil....and then how bout Kolb.
Old 03-03-2007   #7
newport texan
Veteran

Wink Re: Ideal Mock Draft for Texans

Kalil wont be there..prolly late 1st round now...but dare to dream. I would like to get Ramonce in there in the 4th. We need a poor man's Reggie Bush. We also need a poor man's VY....
newport texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2007   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Off the top of my head, this draft seems better. I assume we trade Carr for a 3rd.

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Brandon Meriwether
3. Andy Alleman
3b. Steve Smith
4. Daymeion Hughes (combine hurt his stock)
5. Chris Henry
6. Josh Wilson
7. Garrett Wolfe
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by newport texan View Post
Kalil wont be there..prolly late 1st round now...but dare to dream. I would like to get Ramonce in there in the 4th. We need a poor man's Reggie Bush. We also need a poor man's VY....
It's hard enough for a center to go in the first and Kalil is a ZBS center.
Old 03-03-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
It's hard enough for a center to go in the first and Kalil is a ZBS center.
What teams would want a C like Kalil? Particularly the late 1st and early 2nd rd teams. What teams are likely in taking him/ need a center?
Old 03-03-2007   #11
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:

Round 2- Ryan Kalil C
Round 3- Kevin Kolb QB
Round 4- Tarell Brown CB
Round 5- Andy Alleman OG
Round 6- Jarret Hicks WR

The picks look good, but it still does not help us in two of our weakest positions, D-line and WR. We have Mario and Dre, but they need help. I can tell your a true Houstonian by picking Kolb, although we do need someone to groom.
Old 03-03-2007   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
What teams would want a C like Kalil? Particularly the late 1st and early 2nd rd teams. What teams are likely in taking him/ need a center?
Off the top of my head:

Texans
Packers
Washington

The Packers drafted a C in the third round last year and Casey Rabach of the Redskins is 29. The Broncos got Greg Eslinger in the 6th round, but he may be Nalen's successor. The Falcons are scrapping the ZBS, I believe.
Old 03-03-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Off the top of my head:

Texans
Packers
Washington

The Packers drafted a C in the third round last year and Casey Rabach of the Redskins is 29. The Broncos got Greg Eslinger in the 6th round, but he may be Nalen's successor. The Falcons are scrapping the ZBS, I believe.
The good news is Green Bay probably won't take kalil in the 1st..neither will washington. redskins dont have their 2nd either so that helps.

arizona, cleveland, detroit, oakland???? i've seen a few mocks w/ kalil going to baltimore in the 1st....any chance?

do y'all think we may be looking at some of atlanta's OL if any are FA this year or next?
Old 03-04-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

How's this...I think it addresses needs and plans for the future...

We trade our 2nd and 5th rd picks to move up a few spots in the 2nd round.

1. Laron Landry FS LSU 6'1 213 lbs
2. Ryan Kalil C USC 6'3 299 lbs
3. Kevin Kolb QB Houston 6'3 218 lbs
4. Tarell Brown CB Texas 5'11 190 lbs
5. -traded away to move up for Kalil-
6. Louis Leonard DT Fresno St. 6'4 320 lbs
7. Ed McCarthy OL Yale 6'5 302 lbs

Biggest weaknesses on team imo are Secondary, OL, and DL.
our secondary will be much improved w/ this. OL gets a project guy in McCarthy..who is versatile and played every position along the line at yale. Kalil should be the C for the next decade. DL gets a run stopper and big plug in leonard.
Kolb carries a clip board for 1-2 years steps in when he's ready, carr's gone, and our oline is working.

That leaves runningback which i think we'll address in FA with someone like green or henry.
Linebacker sadly has not been addressed and we need to do something about WR...but we can't fix everything in the draft now can we!?
Old 03-04-2007   #15
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Okoye DT
2. Meriweather FS
3. Rufus Alexander LB
4. Travarous Bain CB
5. Eldra Buckley RB
6. Mario Henderson LT
7. Medlock K
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #16
GTFan
Rookie

I'll take a shot at My Ideal Off Season.

FA -- Travis Henry RB, Donte Stallworth WR;

Trade: 8th pick for Buffalo's 12th pick and their 3rd round pick. Not sure why they'd need to be at 8 unless Peterson's there, but there would be real value for the Texans at 12.

1) 12th pick Levi Brown LT -- The real question is how does Levi grade out compared to Baker, Long and Gaither who will be in the 08 draft. If he's overvalued, we should sign Petticoat (sp) and draft Landry. At 12 though, we'd get great value.

2) A Ross or D Hughes CB -- If we could draft Khalil in the 2nd and still get Hughes in the 3rd I'd be all for that.

3) Steele - C

3) from Buffalo Rufus Alexander OLB

4) Kareem Brown DT -- I thought this was a typo but the guy had 11 sacks, 14 tackles for a loss, and is noted as a run stopper;

5) Josh Gattis FS

6) Mkristro (sp) Bruce DE Wash St -- or enter your favorite Mark Anderson wanna be here;

7) Bishop UCLA LB; Michael Roe CB; David Ball NH WR or Jordan Palmer QB UTEP;

That would leave a line up of:

LT - Levi
LG - Pitts/Weary
C - Steele/McKinney with Flannagan released;
RG - Winston/Weary
RT - Winston/Spencer

This would be a young, 6 man rotation (with all 6 drafted by the Texans on day 1) with McKinney and Salaam as mentors. I think we'd actually be able to just leave this line alone for the next 5 years and let them get some reps together and grow as a unit.

WR Johson / Stallworth / Walters / Mathis

I actually think Stallworth would be an upgrade over Moulds. Donte had some monster games last year and if healthy would be an asset. I can't see drafting a WR this draft. A stud #2 WR is a luxury we probably don't get right now.

RB Henry / Dayne / Taylor / Lundy

FB Leach / Cook

TE Daniels / Putzier

QB Carr / Sage

The only ? mark on that offense would be Carr. It'd be the best OL in team history that should open some holes for even mediocre backs to run through. The WRs would have much more time to get open.

Defense

DE Mario
DT Kareem Brown / TJ
DT Maddux / Weaver
DE Weaver / Babin / Kalu / Bruce

For me, there's no reason Maddux shouldn't start for the Texans and starting him shouldn't be a reflection on the line. He earned it. He was a 4th round pick of Jax; he had some legal issues and dropped in the draft b/c of it. And yes, he was selling furniture last year. He was paid $79,000 last year by the Texans, less than probably several on this board. It's a great story if you ask me and if he can beat out the rest, he should start.

OLB Greenwood
MLB Ryans
OLB Alexander

CB D Robinson
CB Ross or Hughes
Nickel CB Faggins / Roe

FS Gattis
SS Earl / Brown

Our secondary would hopefully suddenly become an asset. And that front 7 should be able to stop the run if not totally get after the QB.

The only real question marks on that whole team would be QB, RB, DE and FS. I would go RB and FS 1 and 2nd round in 08, with maybe a QB in the 3rd and a DE in FA. And wa la, the Texans should compete for the playoffs in 08 and beyond.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #17
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad you guys know how good LaRon is going to be. This guy is going to be one of the best defensive players the NFL has seen over the past 5+ years. He's outstanding.
Old 03-04-2007   #18
newport texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
I'm glad you guys know how good LaRon is going to be. This guy is going to be one of the best defensive players the NFL has seen over the past 5+ years. He's outstanding.
after that combine showing..i concur
newport texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #19
amazingandre
All Pro

ive liked him for awhile....i just dream of the day he nails manning and young like he did guys in college....ooooooooo
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
The good news is Green Bay probably won't take kalil in the 1st..neither will washington. redskins dont have their 2nd either so that helps.

arizona, cleveland, detroit, oakland???? i've seen a few mocks w/ kalil going to baltimore in the 1st....any chance?

do y'all think we may be looking at some of atlanta's OL if any are FA this year or next?
Petrino isn't running the ZBS, so as far as I know, Atlanta is going to dump a few of their linemen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read