Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2007   #1
GoHornsGo
Rookie

Default Why do we want tp take all of Denver's misfits?

If these rumors are true about the Carr/Plummer trade and we pick up Lelie, then we are building a team of Denver misfits. This doesn't appear very attractive to me. In fact, it is the same strategy that Casserly employed when he put the initial Houston roster together. Kubs etal need to step up and be a man about putting a team together, not go after Denver dropouts.

Plummer and Carr are one in the same in my mind -Losers.
GoHornsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #2
ryansisgod
Veteran

Default Re: Why do we want tp take all of Denver's misfits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHornsGo View Post
If these rumors are true about the Carr/Plummer trade and we pick up Lelie, then we are building a team of Denver misfits. This doesn't appear very attractive to me. In fact, it is the same strategy that Casserly employed when he put the initial Houston roster together. Kubs etal need to step up and be a man about putting a team together, not go after Denver dropouts.

ummm....plummer was traded to tampa for conditional pick in 08 and lelie has signed with the 49ers. so highly unlikey they are coming here. so dont worry about it too much.
Old 03-03-2007   #3
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:

Plummerr was traded to the Bucs and Lelie signed with the 49er's
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #4
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
ummm....plummer was traded to tampa for conditional pick in 08 and lelie has signed with the 49ers. so highly unlikey they are coming here. so dont worry about it too much.
Beat me to it heh.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

They know our system and we don't have enough guys on our team that know the sytem well enough for us to just sign some guy and teach him the system. Putzier was basically a tight ends coach last year. The TE's knew which routes to run, but Putzier told them why they ran those routes. Same thing goes to Salaam.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #6
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
They know our system and we don't have enough guys on our team that know the sytem well enough for us to just sign some guy and teach him the system. Putzier was basically a tight ends coach last year. The TE's knew which routes to run, but Putzier told them why they ran those routes. Same thing goes to Salaam.
I agree with you on system. It is not our guys are terrible(Not great, may be OK) some of them just do not fit Kubiak's system.

GO TEXANS!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #7
BmtTXN
Rookie

So is that why we don't get rid of Carr? So he won't have to be subjected to learning a system. I mean he's doing so well here!

And aren't all these guys professionals? I've got a job where I have to learn new things all the time.....it's really not that hard. So a player not fitting a system is pure crap!
BmtTXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2007   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmtTXN View Post
So is that why we don't get rid of Carr? So he won't have to be subjected to learning a system. I mean he's doing so well here!

And aren't all these guys professionals? I've got a job where I have to learn new things all the time.....it's really not that hard. So a player not fitting a system is pure crap!
Try picking up a thousand page book, memorize the plays, and know where you're supposed to be and why.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Try picking up a thousand page book, memorize the plays, and know where you're supposed to be and why.
for 7,000,000 dollars?

no problem.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07038/759984-66.stm
Old 03-04-2007   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

It has to do with familiarity. They've been coached by Kubiak and Sherman so they know what they can get out of that player. With FAs, some teams take such a risk not knowing exactly what the player will bring to the table. Going for players that they've coached before brings a level of security and familiarity.
Old 03-04-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Going for players that they've coached before brings a level of security and familiarity.
Which has nothing to do with getting the best players available.
Old 03-04-2007   #12
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Which has nothing to do with getting the best players available.
That has more to do with how deep our pocketbooks are, and at the moment their about as deep as a college student's . . .
Old 03-04-2007   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll amend my comment to "Which has nothing to do with getting the best players available at about the same price".

I find it hard to believe that so many of the only players we can afford have previous ties to the coaching staff.

Surrounding yourself with your own guys may be comforting but it can also limit the players you look at.

Exhibit A: Brad Bedell. What does he bring to the team outside of the fact he played for Sherman? What was the official excuse for the two sacks he gave up in the 10 minutes he played last year - he wasn't ready? Hire a stranger who is ready next time.

Exhibit B: Focus on Plummer. If the Texans really wanted an older QB, they could have pursued Garcia harder and maybe landed him.

Exhibit C: Ephraim Salaam. Good locker room guy according to some. They need good players more than a happy locker room at this point.

Exhibt D: Samkon Gado. I'm underwhelmed.

etc.
Old 03-04-2007   #14
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The comfort level works both ways. Maybe the players who have ties to our current coaches are the only ones we can convince to come here. Consistency in the win department might change that.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The main reason we'd even look at Lelie & Plummer, is because of what they had been through in '06, and the success they had with Kubiak. Their tails should be between their legs, and we should've been able to get them cheap.

If cheap wasn't part of the deal, I doubt either of them would have been Texans.
Old 03-04-2007   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I look at it, especially with Plummer, is that you have basically 2 coaches once one of these guys is brought in. They know the system and the hope is they get the rest of the team up to speed and skip some of the learning curve. Once some of the younger guys see what winning is all about or how successful the system can be, it will be engrained in them. That is what alot of teams do. You bring in leaders and players who teach others those things. It helps with rookies, guys who haven't experienced winning and it helps the teams mental nakeup.
Old 03-04-2007   #17
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

What you're see in some of these GB and Denver singings is mostly stop gap players or transition players. The talent level on this team for the most part isn't up to par. That's where these signings come into place while we draft players to fit the needs we want. I think most of it is the fact they've worked with these players before and know what they area capable of and the players know what the coaches generally will be asking of them.

I think these last cuts are going to trim just about all of the old fat off this team. The Moulds one was a bit puzzling but i guess they expected more production out of him despite the offensive ineptitude this year. I would've prefered the leadership value he brought in over the last year and how it seemed to rub off on Johnson well. Speaking of him....Brilliant resign and restructure done on his contract extension. Just wonder if Walter is the man enough to step up and bea #2 or if we're going to adress that spot FA or in the draft. If Sidney Rice or Bowe is there in the second and if a few other options aren't looking so hot i'd consider pulling the trigger on one of those two.

Another smart draft and a solid FA season we could be looking to make noise next year in the AFC south.
Old 03-04-2007   #18
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
Why do we want tp take all of Denver's misfits?
Why not? They have a better record than us.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #19
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent
Rookie

Quote:

Because the Texans are the worst organization in the NFL
VY's Crib U Jus payn Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #20
Keldar
Veteran

Re: Why do we want tp take all of Denver's misfits?

Because all the Green Bay misfits are not available?
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read