Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

It'll come through w/ Kubes in charge

Imatexanfan

Hall of Fame
PATIENCE. I think that will be the key. If we learned anything from the previous regime, it was overpaying FAs is not the way to go, technically when they weren't all that good anyways. I like the sit back and see where things fall approach. :winky:

Look at the FA moves we've made in the past, Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Greenwood, etc....I think Kube and Smith have things going in the right direction. Unfortunately for the fans, we were screwed the first five years and forced to start over. :bubble:

As far as Carr goes, we stick with Carr, as I've been saying all along. Let him actually compete with Sage this time around. But I do like the fact that Kubes/Smith didn't budge on the draft pick for Plummer. He was not worth the salary cap hit or draft pick at all.

As far as FAs, let's get our money's worth this time. There are plenty of RBs far better than Dayne, no offense dude. But I actually liked the way CT played the last few weeks. Plus, there are plenty of good RBs in FA for example:

J. Lewis
T Henry
D Rhodes
TJ Duckett
Thomas Jones
Chris Brown

Just to name a few. All are better than what we have, well kinda second guessing Duckett. But not to mention we really don't know what kind of shape DD/W is in and if he's able to come back.....really see how good he is actually going to be.:shades:

I understand exactly. Really the only two guys worth paying what they wanted in FA this year seemed to me to be Clements and Thomas. Other than the two, the field this year is pretty weak. Hopefully our team has some plans for the future, rather than just attempting to make short-term fixes.

With that I add that the Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth is getting surprisingly little play in the free-agent market. We would have double threats with Andre Johnson and Donte' Stallworth but can we afford him and would this make AJ upset?

With that I add that the Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth is getting surprisingly little play in the free-agent market. We would have double threats with Andre Johnson and Donte' Stallworth but can we afford him and would this make AJ upset?

Doesn't the AJ long term sign do away with the upset to a certain degree. I think AJ figured a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush.

Why on earth would this make AJ upset? That has to be the funniest one I've heard all day. Donte Stallworth is injury prone, and not worth what he thinks he's worth.

Doesn't the AJ long term sign do away with the upset to a certain degree. I think AJ figured a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush.

Yea well didn't think about that there Harry, but it still would be good in the long run thats if he does want to sign w/the Texans.

PATIENCE. I think that will be the key. If we learned anything from the previous regime, it was overpaying FAs is not the way to go, technically when they weren't all that good anyways. I like the sit back and see where things fall approach. :winky:

Look at the FA moves we've made in the past, Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Greenwood, etc....I think Kube and Smith have things going in the right direction. Unfortunately for the fans, we were screwed the first five years and forced to start over. :bubble:

As far as Carr goes, we stick with Carr, as I've been saying all along. Let him actually compete with Sage this time around. But I do like the fact that Kubes/Smith didn't budge on the draft pick for Plummer. He was not worth the salary cap hit or draft pick at all.

As far as FAs, let's get our money's worth this time. There are plenty of RBs far better than Dayne, no offense dude. But I actually liked the way CT played the last few weeks. Plus, there are plenty of good RBs in FA for example:

J. Lewis
T Henry
D Rhodes
TJ Duckett
Thomas Jones
Chris Brown

Just to name a few. All are better than what we have, well kinda second guessing Duckett. But not to mention we really don't know what kind of shape DD/W is in and if he's able to come back.....really see how good he is actually going to be.:shades:

I really hope you're right because as of now, we have not signed or shown any interest in any significant FA's and when we do show interest the FA's up and go sign with another team 2 hours later example Garcia and Lelie, now i hope one of the RB's on you list other than Ahman Green has caught the attention of Kub/Smith.

I kinda think the mentality in the FO is lets get a diamond in the rough player type, meaning not a big name but can get to that level with the right coaching, this has not worked before for us but might this time around. lets see

Too bad the Texans don't a red do-over button, so now Kubes & Smith has to fix this mess that the C&C Factory created- manually, & it won't happen overnight. I'm glad they have not spent foolishly on pricy FA's. And the fact we don't have a good track record on FA's!:bubble:

I really hope you're right because as of now, we have not signed or shown any interest in any significant FA's and when we do show interest the FA's up and go sign with another team 2 hours later example Garcia and Lelie, now i hope one of the RB's on you list other than Ahman Green has caught the attention of Kub/Smith.

I kinda think the mentality in the FO is lets get a diamond in the rough player type, meaning not a big name but can get to that level with the right coaching, this has not worked before for us but might this time around. lets see

The problem before was they paid top dollar for the so-called diamond in the rough. I hope this time they are smarter with their salary cap.

i like what we're doing too, i think we are very fortunate with Smith running things now, he seems like he knows what he's doing it and doing it well.

i'm in it for the long haul. i think trying to patch work it all together and get quick fixes in their is worse for us in the long run and the wrong thing for us to do. i'm glad our FO is thinking the same.

As much as we all want to get this building done with and start winning now, i know it's going to take time. if they keep doing things right like this we will finally have a RESPECTED organization and will be very very good.

Go Kubes! Go Smith! Go Texans!!

Let's not trade away picks to move up! Stay put at 8! Draft Laron Landry!!!

I think that we need to just need to release those that the organization feels needs to go but also I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for any significant players this year. our cap situation is awful. We take the accelerated cap hit on all released players this year and make our moves next year with about 20 to 25 million to play with. :drunk:

I mean the number of really great FA's are few so that means that the price will be that much more out of wack.

This will give us the room to make 3 to 4 significant additions next year, I think we will win 8-10 games this year with Carr or Sage and have the ability to make those big moves following an 8-8 or 10-6 year and a look of a team on the rise with hopefully another good draft under our belt. It should make H-Town a place great players will be willing to go to. As of now, we have to pay just a little more than others to get them to come her and its understandable. :bubble:

Hopefully the organization isn't as willing as fans are to do whatever it takes to win a couple of more games next year with disregards a longer term plan. I believe that people are so blinded by their hate for Carr and what they consider left overs from the Capers/Casserly era that they are willing do whatever it takes to get as far away from them as possble. Which I can not blame them for their feelings on the issue of getting away from the losing I do differ on the way to get there though.:winky:

I think that we need to just need to release those that the organization feels needs to go but also I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for any significant players this year. our cap situation is awful. We take the accelerated cap hit on all released players this year and make our moves next year with about 20 to 25 million to play with. :drunk:

I mean the number of really great FA's are few so that means that the price will be that much more out of wack.

This will give us the room to make 3 to 4 significant additions next year, I think we will win 8-10 games this year with Carr or Sage and have the ability to make those big moves following an 8-8 or 10-6 year and a look of a team on the rise with hopefully another good draft under our belt. It should make H-Town a place great players will be willing to go to. As of now, we have to pay just a little more than others to get them to come her and its understandable. :bubble:

Hopefully the organization isn't as willing as fans are to do whatever it takes to win a couple of more games next year with disregards a longer term plan. I believe that people are so blinded by their hate for Carr and what they consider left overs from the Capers/Casserly era that they are willing do whatever it takes to get as far away from them as possble. Which I can not blame them for their feelings on the issue of getting away from the losing I do differ on the way to get there though.:winky:

great post..i agree with most of your points. keep up the optimism on our record! i'm really looking forward to our team getting better...once we have it built for the most part from say 3 of Kubiak/Smith's drafts.....we will have a lot of $$$ to spend in FA unlike now...that's going to be amazing...i can just smell playoffs!!

Thanks for the refreshing and more positive post than some of the other posts around here lately. It's a long road to where EVERYONE here wants us to be.

I'm glad we haven't gone FA crazy....but I would have liked to have gotten
Garcia. I think now that he didn't want to come here. If we don't watch it we'll be the Lions and Browns of the south.

But I have NOT given up. We finally have a new coach and GM so I'll give them fair time to do their job and right the ship.

Thanks for the refreshing and more positive post than some of the other posts around here lately. It's a long road to where EVERYONE here wants us to be.

No prob, we just need to roll with Carr/Sage and a better O-line and RB. Baby steps. Draft a QB this year (Kolb) and sit him on the bench like we should have done Carr. :ok:

It's good that they aren't going "FA crazy", but given the fact that this team currently doesn't have an NFL caliber QB on the entire roster, it's pretty frustrating that they're doing absolutey nothing to address that key position.

sit him on the bench like we should have done Carr.

I think Kubs would have done that but couldn't. I don't think Kubiak will kiss Carrs butt. However he had to work with what we had. We'll see how it goes this next season.

Bring on the draft!!!!!!!!!!!

It's good that they aren't going "FA crazy", but given the fact that this team currently doesn't have an NFL caliber QB on the entire roster, it's pretty frustrating that they're doing absolutey nothing to address that key position.

There's none in FA neither there guy. Thats probably why they haven't did anything and on top of that our spending ability to that "NFL caliber QB". :drunk:

Barring injury....I bet we see a lot more of Sage next season. It doesn't look like anything is happening with Carr. We'll see.....there's still of lot of 'off season' to get thru.

Carr is a better QB in some ways than whats out there in FA. When he played the 1st game against Dallas he has to unlearn all that has come since that time.A couple of times he was allowed to call his plays and he did well only to be smacked in the face because he was to successful. :bubble:

I'm really looking for him to get better and better, and then to explode. He had confidence in that 1st game and now its lacking or questioned. If he gets a few wins under his belt watch out. He won't be a bust for lack of effort. Kubiak nows that, and quite frankly reading between the lines, is hoping that David has not been ruined, which really he hasn't just yet. He understands more than ever what David has gone through.

Kubiak is an extremely bright football mind and he knows the QB position like the back of his hand. He knows he has a diamond in the rough or perhaps even more valueable than that, and he does.:ok:

Its going to take some time...........IT will happen trust me.:winky:

Carr is a better QB in some ways than whats out there in FA. When he played the 1st game against Dallas he has to unlearn all that has come since that time.A couple of times he was allowed to call his plays and he did well only to be smacked in the face because he was to successful. :bubble:

I'm really looking for him to get better and better, and then to explode. He had confidence in that 1st game and now its lacking or questioned. If he gets a few wins under his belt watch out. He won't be a bust for lack of effort. Kubiak nows that, and quite frankly reading between the lines, is hoping that David has not been ruined, which really he hasn't just yet. He understands more than ever what David has gone through.

Kubiak is an extremely bright football mind and he knows the QB position like the back of his hand. He knows he has a diamond in the rough or perhaps even more valueable than that, and he does.:ok:

Its going to take some time...........IT will happen trust me.:winky:

I was expecting that improvement to happen last season. I was expecting him to play worse at the beginning of the season and then as he got more and more comfortable with the system, I expected him to really blossom.

He didn't. He got worse and worse as the season went on. Going into this past season, I was afraid that he was mentally damaged by all the hits he took in 2005 and I think that's the problem. Once a QB gets that into his head, it's rare for them to recover. Kubes himself said that one of Carr's problems was that he was making the right reads and throws in practice but not making those same reads and throws in the games. I don't think they're going to be able to fix that. And because of the mistakes he was making, he was making the line look worse than it was by basically sacking himself many times and making it harder on the run game because he wasn't making the throws to stretch the field and that was allowing teams to load up on the run.

If Kubes can fix Carr, then great. But I don't think he can. That's why I think we should find a way to move Carr while he's got some value. If this goes to open competition and Sage ends up with the job, Carr's trade value is going to go down the tubes and he's going to be a very expensive backup.

I clearly understand but the thing is when it all comes down to it........its cheaper and better on us to keep him and let Kubes try to fix him a little longer I know its gonna take time but thats really all we have it sure ain't money.:winky:

I clearly understand but the thing is when it all comes down to it........its cheaper and better on us to keep him and let Kubes try to fix him a little longer I know its gonna take time but thats really all we have it sure ain't money.:winky:

Depending on how it's done, I believe we can save ourselves some cap space if we just cut him.

If we trade him for some draft picks, then we'll take an initial hit but we could have another kid here learning the system; we have so many places where we could use some more new blood.

If we end up drafting Stanton or Kolb (although I'm not sold that Kolb is our guy) or somebody, we could go with Sage starting and the rookie as the backup. Then depending on how Sage plays, the rookie gets to play when he's ready and when he's able to perform at least as well as Sage. (Which might not be this year.)

If we go into the season with Carr and Sage and have open competition for the job, I expect Carr to start the first game or two with Sage as the backup and the rookie (assuming we draft one) on the practice squad. Then I expect Carr to play himself out of his job and Sage to get the job for at least a few games and maybe have the rookie starting by the halfway point in the season. If we start with Carr and then switch to Sage, I think there might be more pressure to start the kid before he's ready. I don't know why I feel that way, it's just the way I think it would happen.

BTW, I think if Sage hadn't been injured, Carr would have been benched for the last 3rd of the season. So Carr starting off as our starter might not be such a sure thing regardless of what Kubiak and Smith say during interviews.

But, there's still a lot of time between then and now and a lot of things could happen. A lot of creative things could happen and I basically trust Kubiak and Smith to do the right things at this point. And if Kubiak thinks that the best way to go forward is to try to continue trying to fix Carr, then so be it. But from the games I've watched the past 2 years, I'm just not seeing why we would bother. Sometimes, you just have to cut your losses and try another way no matter how bad it hurts.

Back