Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post It'll come through w/ Kubes in charge

PATIENCE. I think that will be the key. If we learned anything from the previous regime, it was overpaying FAs is not the way to go, technically when they weren't all that good anyways. I like the sit back and see where things fall approach.

Look at the FA moves we've made in the past, Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Greenwood, etc....I think Kube and Smith have things going in the right direction. Unfortunately for the fans, we were screwed the first five years and forced to start over.

As far as Carr goes, we stick with Carr, as I've been saying all along. Let him actually compete with Sage this time around. But I do like the fact that Kubes/Smith didn't budge on the draft pick for Plummer. He was not worth the salary cap hit or draft pick at all.

As far as FAs, let's get our money's worth this time. There are plenty of RBs far better than Dayne, no offense dude. But I actually liked the way CT played the last few weeks. Plus, there are plenty of good RBs in FA for example:

J. Lewis
T Henry
D Rhodes
TJ Duckett
Thomas Jones
Chris Brown

Just to name a few. All are better than what we have, well kinda second guessing Duckett. But not to mention we really don't know what kind of shape DD/W is in and if he's able to come back.....really see how good he is actually going to be.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #2
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It'll come through w/ Kubes in charge

I understand exactly. Really the only two guys worth paying what they wanted in FA this year seemed to me to be Clements and Thomas. Other than the two, the field this year is pretty weak. Hopefully our team has some plans for the future, rather than just attempting to make short-term fixes.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

With that I add that the Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth is getting surprisingly little play in the free-agent market. We would have double threats with Andre Johnson and Donte' Stallworth but can we afford him and would this make AJ upset?
Old 03-03-2007   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
With that I add that the Eagles receiver Donte' Stallworth is getting surprisingly little play in the free-agent market. We would have double threats with Andre Johnson and Donte' Stallworth but can we afford him and would this make AJ upset?
Doesn't the AJ long term sign do away with the upset to a certain degree. I think AJ figured a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why on earth would this make AJ upset? That has to be the funniest one I've heard all day. Donte Stallworth is injury prone, and not worth what he thinks he's worth.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #6
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry View Post
Doesn't the AJ long term sign do away with the upset to a certain degree. I think AJ figured a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush.
Yea well didn't think about that there Harry, but it still would be good in the long run thats if he does want to sign w/the Texans.
Old 03-03-2007   #7
ryansisgod
Veteran

Quote:
PATIENCE. I think that will be the key. If we learned anything from the previous regime, it was overpaying FAs is not the way to go, technically when they weren't all that good anyways. I like the sit back and see where things fall approach.

Look at the FA moves we've made in the past, Robaire Smith, Todd Wade, Greenwood, etc....I think Kube and Smith have things going in the right direction. Unfortunately for the fans, we were screwed the first five years and forced to start over.

As far as Carr goes, we stick with Carr, as I've been saying all along. Let him actually compete with Sage this time around. But I do like the fact that Kubes/Smith didn't budge on the draft pick for Plummer. He was not worth the salary cap hit or draft pick at all.

As far as FAs, let's get our money's worth this time. There are plenty of RBs far better than Dayne, no offense dude. But I actually liked the way CT played the last few weeks. Plus, there are plenty of good RBs in FA for example:

J. Lewis
T Henry
D Rhodes
TJ Duckett
Thomas Jones
Chris Brown

Just to name a few. All are better than what we have, well kinda second guessing Duckett. But not to mention we really don't know what kind of shape DD/W is in and if he's able to come back.....really see how good he is actually going to be.
I really hope you're right because as of now, we have not signed or shown any interest in any significant FA's and when we do show interest the FA's up and go sign with another team 2 hours later example Garcia and Lelie, now i hope one of the RB's on you list other than Ahman Green has caught the attention of Kub/Smith.

I kinda think the mentality in the FO is lets get a diamond in the rough player type, meaning not a big name but can get to that level with the right coaching, this has not worked before for us but might this time around. lets see
Old 03-03-2007   #8
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad the Texans don't a red do-over button, so now Kubes & Smith has to fix this mess that the C&C Factory created- manually, & it won't happen overnight. I'm glad they have not spent foolishly on pricy FA's. And the fact we don't have a good track record on FA's!
Old 03-03-2007   #9
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
I really hope you're right because as of now, we have not signed or shown any interest in any significant FA's and when we do show interest the FA's up and go sign with another team 2 hours later example Garcia and Lelie, now i hope one of the RB's on you list other than Ahman Green has caught the attention of Kub/Smith.

I kinda think the mentality in the FO is lets get a diamond in the rough player type, meaning not a big name but can get to that level with the right coaching, this has not worked before for us but might this time around. lets see
The problem before was they paid top dollar for the so-called diamond in the rough. I hope this time they are smarter with their salary cap.
Old 03-03-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i like what we're doing too, i think we are very fortunate with Smith running things now, he seems like he knows what he's doing it and doing it well.

i'm in it for the long haul. i think trying to patch work it all together and get quick fixes in their is worse for us in the long run and the wrong thing for us to do. i'm glad our FO is thinking the same.

As much as we all want to get this building done with and start winning now, i know it's going to take time. if they keep doing things right like this we will finally have a RESPECTED organization and will be very very good.

Go Kubes! Go Smith! Go Texans!!

Let's not trade away picks to move up! Stay put at 8! Draft Laron Landry!!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #11
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Post Re: It'll come through w/ Kubes in charge

I think that we need to just need to release those that the organization feels needs to go but also I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for any significant players this year. our cap situation is awful. We take the accelerated cap hit on all released players this year and make our moves next year with about 20 to 25 million to play with.

I mean the number of really great FA's are few so that means that the price will be that much more out of wack.

This will give us the room to make 3 to 4 significant additions next year, I think we will win 8-10 games this year with Carr or Sage and have the ability to make those big moves following an 8-8 or 10-6 year and a look of a team on the rise with hopefully another good draft under our belt. It should make H-Town a place great players will be willing to go to. As of now, we have to pay just a little more than others to get them to come her and its understandable.

Hopefully the organization isn't as willing as fans are to do whatever it takes to win a couple of more games next year with disregards a longer term plan. I believe that people are so blinded by their hate for Carr and what they consider left overs from the Capers/Casserly era that they are willing do whatever it takes to get as far away from them as possble. Which I can not blame them for their feelings on the issue of getting away from the losing I do differ on the way to get there though.
Old 03-03-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that we need to just need to release those that the organization feels needs to go but also I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for any significant players this year. our cap situation is awful. We take the accelerated cap hit on all released players this year and make our moves next year with about 20 to 25 million to play with.

I mean the number of really great FA's are few so that means that the price will be that much more out of wack.

This will give us the room to make 3 to 4 significant additions next year, I think we will win 8-10 games this year with Carr or Sage and have the ability to make those big moves following an 8-8 or 10-6 year and a look of a team on the rise with hopefully another good draft under our belt. It should make H-Town a place great players will be willing to go to. As of now, we have to pay just a little more than others to get them to come her and its understandable.

Hopefully the organization isn't as willing as fans are to do whatever it takes to win a couple of more games next year with disregards a longer term plan. I believe that people are so blinded by their hate for Carr and what they consider left overs from the Capers/Casserly era that they are willing do whatever it takes to get as far away from them as possble. Which I can not blame them for their feelings on the issue of getting away from the losing I do differ on the way to get there though.
great post..i agree with most of your points. keep up the optimism on our record! i'm really looking forward to our team getting better...once we have it built for the most part from say 3 of Kubiak/Smith's drafts.....we will have a lot of $$$ to spend in FA unlike now...that's going to be amazing...i can just smell playoffs!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thanks for the refreshing and more positive post than some of the other posts around here lately. It's a long road to where EVERYONE here wants us to be.
Old 03-03-2007   #14
afcman
Veteran

I'm glad we haven't gone FA crazy....but I would have liked to have gotten
Garcia. I think now that he didn't want to come here. If we don't watch it we'll be the Lions and Browns of the south.

But I have NOT given up. We finally have a new coach and GM so I'll give them fair time to do their job and right the ship.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #15
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Let's not trade away picks to move up! Stay put at 8! Draft Laron Landry!!!
Yes! LaRon Landry at 8 could actually make our secondary a strong point. (With Jonathan Wade drafted in the 3rd round)
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #16
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Thanks for the refreshing and more positive post than some of the other posts around here lately. It's a long road to where EVERYONE here wants us to be.
No prob, we just need to roll with Carr/Sage and a better O-line and RB. Baby steps. Draft a QB this year (Kolb) and sit him on the bench like we should have done Carr.
Old 03-03-2007   #17
Caesar
Veteran

It's good that they aren't going "FA crazy", but given the fact that this team currently doesn't have an NFL caliber QB on the entire roster, it's pretty frustrating that they're doing absolutey nothing to address that key position.
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #18
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
sit him on the bench like we should have done Carr.
I think Kubs would have done that but couldn't. I don't think Kubiak will kiss Carrs butt. However he had to work with what we had. We'll see how it goes this next season.

Bring on the draft!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2007   #19
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
It's good that they aren't going "FA crazy", but given the fact that this team currently doesn't have an NFL caliber QB on the entire roster, it's pretty frustrating that they're doing absolutey nothing to address that key position.
There's none in FA neither there guy. Thats probably why they haven't did anything and on top of that our spending ability to that "NFL caliber QB".
Old 03-03-2007   #20
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
There's none in FA neither there guy.
Garcia was.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read