Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-03-2007   #1
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Default Plummer traded again!!!

To the Bucs for 2008 draft pick!! as per Espn News!!
Old 03-03-2007   #2
autch14
Rookie

Default Re: Plummer traded again!!!

what the heck is going on??? lol i'm guessing either plummer nor garcia knew about each other going there because i can't see them both accepting to fight for the starting job.
autch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Is Garcia going to the Bucs as well?
Old 03-03-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Shanahan is calling Jake's bluff
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #5
Paragon Blue
Veteran

yeah it said Garcia was still signed
Old 03-03-2007   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
BRONCOS ANNOUNCE TRADE OF PLUMMER TO TAMPA

In a move that can only be described as bizarre, the press release announcing the acquisition of defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson by the Broncos also states that quarterback Jake Plummer has been traded to Tampa for a conditional pick in the 2008 draft.

The release, which was forwarded to us by Adam Caplan of Scout.com, says: "The Denver Broncos on Saturday traded quarterback Jake Plummer to Tampa Bay in exchange for a conditional selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced. Denver also acquired defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson from Miami in exchange for the Broncos' own sixth round pick (24th in round) in the 2007 NFL Draft."

Apparently, the Bucs have opted to squat on Plummer's rights. If he truly retires, the Broncos would likely get nothing. If Plummer decides not to quit, then the Broncos get a pick in 2008 based on, potentially, Plummer's playing time or performance.

So, as a practical matter, the Bucs now have Plummer, Jeff Garcia, and Chris Simms under contract.

And if Plummer follows through on his apparent plan to retire, the Bucs will have the ability to recoup the remainder of any unallocated signing bonus money from Plummer, even though Tampa didn't pay out the bonus.
Let's just hope they don't release him
Old 03-03-2007   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
Let's just hope they don't release him
That's great stuff.
Old 03-03-2007   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
TRADE PUTS PLUMMER IN A CORNER

The trade of quarterback Jake Plummer to the Bucs is aimed at preventing Plummer from retiring for a few months and then unretiring to play for the Texans, explains Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, the trade states that Plummer either unretires and plays for the Bucs, or Plummer retires and the Broncos retain the ability to pursue the unallocated portion of his signing bonus.

But if Plummer unretires, Tampa will have to have $5.3 million in cap room to carry his base salary. So, in essence, Plummer can opt to force Tampa's hand by saying, "Sure, I'll show up." It will force Tampa to pay him $5.3 million or cut him.

Or trade him, perhaps to the Texans.

Regardless of how it all works out, it's an odd development for a day on which the headline in Tampa should be the acquisition of quarterback Jeff Garcia.
Seems like we're back at square one, except now the Bucs have him instead of the Broncos.
Old 03-03-2007   #9
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

^ Beat me to it.
It seems as though Tampa might have to cut him if he unretires, as they would be paying over $15 million (about $5 million each) for the three QB's on their roster.

Perhaps Shanahan wanted Jake to go to Kubiak WHILE getting compensation? Who knows...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #10
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a conditional pick. If TB cuts him I don't think Denver would get anything out it. I can't figure out why TB would still go through on the trade after signing Garcia. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Over on the Bucs board someone made the comment that the team was trying to get as many QBs as possible to keep the Raiders from drafting Johnson with the 1st pick. Now that would be a classic move.
Old 03-03-2007   #11
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

So the abclocal story Vinny linked indicates Garcia's deal is in the range of $5 million per year. Plummer's cap hit is allegedly $5.3 million. Simms is allegedly getting about $5 million in 2007 too.

odd.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This is how Shanahan repays Kubiak for making little Shanny a QB coach?
Old 03-03-2007   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i bet the texans have already made a phone call to One Buc Place.

simms is also on the trading block.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i bet the texans have already made a phone call to One Buc Place.

simms is also on the trading block.
I think Simms is a better prospect than Carr is right now. & if the Texans are going to have to give up a draft pick, I hope we go this way.

But, it was my understanding that we didn't want to part with a draft pick in the first place. Hopefully, we'll call all bluffs, and see if Jake is actually released.

I read an article yesterday, that Jake was prepared to repay Denver the bonus money & what not, if he could be released, then come here.

I don't care if he comes here or not. So I hope that we wait it out, and plan to go into '07 with Sage, BVP, & whoever at QB.

I still don't think we should be spending any substantial amount of money on a QB right now, mainly because I don't see one I'd feel comfy paying $5million/year for .

We should use that $5million on a combination of FA CBs, RBs, LBs, & Safeties
Old 03-03-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The bucs are really confusing me with getting both quarterbacks. Are they just taking all they can so no one else can get one? wonder if bledsoe is next..lol

Garcia-Plummer-Simms-Gratkowski.....hmmm very interesting to me.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #16
Dime
Hall of Fame

Default Did anyone catch this?

I am hearing that the Broncos went ahead and traded Plummer to the Bucs to prevent Plummer from playing for the Texans. They are forcing his hand because that would MAKE him play for the Bucs if he unretires. I wonder why the Broncos are being that way to us? I can get link if needed.
Old 03-03-2007   #17
MATRIX
Veteran

Default Re: Did anyone catch this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime View Post
I am hearing that the Broncos went ahead and traded Plummer to the Bucs to prevent Plummer from playing for the Texans. They are forcing his hand because that would MAKE him play for the Bucs if he unretires. I wonder why the Broncos are being that way to us? I can get link if needed.

Yep, NFL.com reports the following:

Quote:
Bucs sign QB Garcia, trade for Plummer

NFL.com wire reports

For more info on Garcia's signing
TAMPA, Fla. (March 3, 2007) -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia on Saturday and obtained the rights to Jake Plummer from Denver, adding two quarterbacks to compete with Chris Simms next season.

Plummer, who reportedly was thinking of retiring if he was traded, was sent to the Buccaneers for a conditional 2008 draft choice, the Broncos said.

The 37-year-old Garcia, who last year led Philadelphia to the playoffs filling in for the injured Donovan McNabb, agreed to terms a day after talking with the Oakland Raiders. The signing was reported on the Bucs' web site.

Simms, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a ruptured spleen, is the incumbent.

Looks like the 2 QBs mentioned for coming here, at this point are out of the picture.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #18
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, there are a few threads around the board that talk about it....One in the NFL forum, and another in one of the threads here.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #19
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a flipside to it, too. If Plummer unretires, he suddenly appears on Tampa's cap at about $5 million-plus. They may not be able to handle that and may be forced to deal him ASAP. That's from this article posted by Vinny earlier. (It's a Len Pasquarelli article also available at espn.com.)

Weird deal all around. I don't know anything about Tampa's cap, so it may not be a problem for them. (Hey, not everybody has to keep paying Gary Walker.)
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is how Shanahan repays Kubiak for making little Shanny a QB coach?
yeah, so much for the mythical 'Texans-Broncos pipeline', 'eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You know, you can never have too many mediocre QB's.
hey, that's our motto! But I guess we can share it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read