Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2007   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Does anyone else get the sense this team is doomed?

I watched a couple of the NFL shows tonight. Texans doing nothing, as usual. Apparently could not get the Plummer thing done, not a serious contender for Garcia, not in any of the O-line talk, basically nowhere to be seen. You'd think that if you had one of the worst teams in the league you'd be out there signing heroes left and right, wouldn't you?

Needs:

QB
RB
OL
DL
LB
DB

Acqusitions:

Oh yeah. It's the Texans.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #2
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Does anyone else get the sense this team is doomed?

I think history--and the Morlon Greenwood signing--have taught us that sometimes the Texans doing nothing is better than them doing something early in the free agency period.

So no, I don't think the team's doomed.

TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the first freakin' day. Chill out.
Old 03-03-2007   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's be glad if the Texans are not players in free agency. I'm sure you've noticed, but that whole free agency thing hasn't exactly worked out for the Texans. Ever. Weigert, Wade, Greenwood, Weaver, etc...Until the Texans become a winner, and a place where high profile players want to come they will be stuck with mediocre talent signings in free agency. Until the Texans become winners, they'll have to build throught the draft. Last year was a good start, let's hope they keep it going this year.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #5
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
It's the first freakin' day. Chill out.

That was my point. The first day. Where the power players are. Where real help is available for your line, your DB, etc etc.

But we sit on our hands.

Penny wise.

Well, except for Carr and a half-dozen others.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #6
Trenches
Veteran

Its frustrating that Houston is STILL an expansion team after all theses drafts. AND they have very little cap room because they are cutting below average players with high salaries.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texan don't have a lot of money to spend .

The worst thing they could do is spend foolishly like they have in the past .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2007   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Must be that time of year. Seems to me that Nighthawk only comes around during FA, Draft, Training camp.

We are not doomed. We are playing smart. We do need a whole new team but throwing money at one or two high dollar FA is not going to turn this team around, nor trading for guys who are not in our long term plans that will cost us a draft pick. Keep in mind for every one Drew Brees you can point to 10 Culpeppers and Hartwells.

Spending high dollars on FA does not guarantee you a shot at winning. Just look at our past signing for evidence. They are the reason we can't go out and shop this year.

If anything, the Texans are in a position to trade down five or so spots and still pick up a quality player that will help this football team and acquire a few more draft pics.

Doing it right takes time and effort, we should get a mulligan for the first four years due to Capers and Casserly not knowing how to run a football team. Look at the Eagles, Colts, Patriots. Year after year these guys are contenders and they are always losing people in FA. They replace them each year with solid drafts due to a great scouting department. Hopefully Rick Smith has his scouting department under control and can make a well informed decision.

We will be fine. Its going to be a good year, or at least productive and competitive.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #9
texansfan1974
Veteran

We are not in that bad of shape. We tripled the win total in 1 year. We were just 3 wins away from a winning season last year. Buffalo (last play of the game) New York football Giant (fumble on game winning drive) Titians (over time we all know happened there). My point is that a few quality FAs and a good draft, we could be right in the thick of things this year.
GO TEXANS!!!
Old 03-03-2007   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well i think we're doing FA right this season...i'm kinda glad we don't have the cap to go nuts...look at some of the signings of yesterday and you'll see why

clements 80 million
steinbach 50 mill
dockery 49 mil
patrick chuckawaruah(don't know don't care to spell his name right) got 5.5 mill

while the first three guys are solid starters and potential pro bowlers at their position would you take nate clements over champ bailey no...would you take either one of those guards over steve hutchinson no...and definetly would not pay a guy 5.5 mil to play a position he hasn't played in the nfl
Old 03-03-2007   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year good teams fill voids through the draft and bad teams over pay free agents, hoping to ignite a spark. The good teams seem to stay good and the bad ones usually stay bad. If they are free agents that we can actually get, it's probably because their team didn't think they were worth what they demanded.

Here's to hoping for another great draft.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #12
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agency should be about signing a couple key guys to set up the draft. Lelie and Green could be those key guys to set up a draft that fixes the defensive backfield, gets a QB, and fills some space on the lines.
Old 03-03-2007   #13
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I watched a couple of the NFL shows tonight. Texans doing nothing, as usual. Apparently could not get the Plummer thing done, not a serious contender for Garcia, not in any of the O-line talk, basically nowhere to be seen. You'd think that if you had one of the worst teams in the league you'd be out there signing heroes left and right, wouldn't you?

Needs:

QB
RB
OL
DL
LB
DB

Acqusitions:

Oh yeah. It's the Texans.
Those needs will be taken care of in the draft. Something tells me that the Texans will be able to trade down, get multiple draft picks and pick up the player they target, whether it's Landry, Brown or even Okoye, which I would be very happy with.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #14
Trenches
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Those needs will be taken care of in the draft. Something tells me that the Texans will be able to trade down, get multiple draft picks and pick up the player they target, whether it's Landry, Brown or even Okoye, which I would be very happy with.
I would like a trade down. the problem is I could see teams ahead of Houston wanting to trade down as well.

I don't think there will be a player there at #8 we cant live without.
Trenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think any of us work in the FO of the Texans so there's no way we can tell which players and agents they are in conversation with.

We'll get our deals done if they're there to be made, or we'll acquire through the draft.

Go over to other teams sites with more money to spend than the Texans....those fans are very restless as well.
Old 03-03-2007   #16
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

We should at least sign one OL from a good team (Pats,Chargers, etc..).

Last edited by MightyTExan; 03-03-2007 at 09:13 AM.
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #17
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

in addition to morlon greenwood, todd wade should be another reason why it's prudent to wait around. you couldnt really expect us to be major players for guys like clements or steinbach, right? i still would really like hamlin.
Old 03-03-2007   #18
brewhaus
All Pro

The Texans surely aren't "tipping their hand" to any one. There is an article of top free agents on ESPN now and the only place the Texans name show up as a possiblity is next to Ken Hamlin.

I do not think we are doomed. But we are still several years out from contending for any post season play.
Old 03-03-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought about that to nighthawk, but after a good night sleep, my thinking is this, we are still in rebuilding mode after the previous staffs oversignings/draft mistakes....I think what we are doing now is good. we are clearing out the people that are getting overpaid and trying to get our cap situation undercontrol for the 2008 season.. people we released, we weren't getting enough bang for the buck. With a good draft (hopefully) we get more of the kubiak type players and 2008 if we need a slot or two filled, that is when we go after the FA types and overpay to hopefully make a move to challenge for the afc south title

now I am not saying 2007 is lost and think with a good draft ,I think we will move ahead of .500 mark, but I think we are being smart and clearing dead weight
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
patrick chuckawaruah(don't know don't care to spell his name right) got 5.5 mill

and definetly would not pay a guy 5.5 mil to play a position he hasn't played in the nfl
Agree with your overall point, but Chukwurah has primarily been a LB--and was one briefly for the Texans. He has played a little situational pass rusher from DE for the Broncos but from their site:

Quote:
A sixth-year linebacker whose speed also has been utilized at defensive end in pass-rush situations with the Broncos (2004-05) and Vikings (2001-02).

Claimed off waivers by Houston 2/28/03; Waived by Houston 8/31/03
Link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read