Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2007   #1
MATRIX
Veteran

Default What do we REALLY need?

Ok, this isn't 100% about players.

What is the 1 thing you feel this team needs to improve to a upper level team?

I feel the killer instinct is it. I mean damn you get a lead and then instead of hammering the team...they suddenly play "pray we hang on".

I want to see them still scoreing even if they are up...by 1 or 31. Keep driving and not let other teams come back once they are down.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What do we REALLY need?

I think the thing the Texans lacked most from the previous regime was player development and the patience to do the development. It remains to be seen if this is still the case.

My litmus test is Eric Winston. He was somewhat raw even though he came from Miami and he needs to polish his game. Pendry would be benching him this year and trying to cut him the next for struggling out of the gate last season.

If they shove Salaam into the starting line up in front of him I'll be flashing back to Victor Riley.

It doesn't matter how good a draft is if the team doesn't develop the rookies into NFL players.
Old 03-02-2007   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If you take 53 clowns, put them in football uniforms and give them "killer instinct" they're still going to be 53 clowns trying to play football. They might hurt somebody but they'll still be clowns.

The single most important thing this team needs is an excellent coaching/scouting staff. I've never in my life seen a team that had a harder time evaluating talent and finding talent to fit in the scheme they wish to run. This was true under Charlie Casserly/Dom Capers and it appears to still be something of an issue under Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak-Mike Sherman.

You could almost field a playoff team with the talent we've kicked to the curb or passed on in drafts/free agency.
Old 03-02-2007   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

That's what we need.

We really need more of it.
---

somebody was going to say it, so I just did.
Old 03-02-2007   #5
MATRIX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If you take 53 clowns, put them in football uniforms and give them "killer instinct" they're still going to be 53 clowns trying to play football. They might hurt somebody but they'll still be clowns.

The single most important thing this team needs is an excellent coaching/scouting staff. I've never in my life seen a team that had a harder time evaluating talent and finding talent to fit in the scheme they wish to run. This was true under Charlie Casserly/Dom Capers and it appears to still be something of an issue under Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak-Mike Sherman.

You could almost field a playoff team with the talent we've kicked to the curb or passed on in drafts/free agency.

I agree with that. My point was they have never had the instict to win it in the end. The roll over. They need to be coached to play to win...for ALL 4 quarters...not like I feel Dom did. Win for 3 and pray.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post

That's what we need.

We really need more of it.
---

somebody was going to say it, so I just did.
No. You. Didn't?
Old 03-02-2007   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

What they need are winners. Players who aren't used to losing constantly to set a different mentality for the team. And most importantly, they need a leader on the offensive side. I think that fact that DeMeco became a leader on defense really helped it later on in the year, and it is obvious that David hasn't been a good leader.
Old 03-02-2007   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

We REALLY need to sign the targets we're interested in. We don't have a lot of cap so we can only target a smaller portion of players, so we need to put all our focus into them and sign as many as possible. The draft again will be where we make our mark, but only because of all this dead space because of horrible signings we put ourselves into in the past. Give us Lelie, Green, Garcia, Carlisle and I'll be very happy.
Old 03-02-2007   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Give us Lelie, Green, Garcia, Carlisle and I'll be very happy.
You'd be happy with a disgruntled #3 WR, a worn down injury prone running back, and 37 year old QB? They'll just be a temporary band aid. I'd rather just keep Chris Taylor progressing and have him start and gain experience while we're developing our young players and draft a WR in the second round of the draft. I do like the idea of Jeff Garcia here even though he only has about a year left in him (just look at his age). If we get him we should draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and have him learn under Garcia that year, and then start him after Garcia retires. And also if this happens, we should definitely trade Carr. It's obvious he's not wanted here anymore. I wouldn't mind Carlisle either. But those 4 signings would do very little for us in the long run and I'd be disappointed if we just got that.
Old 03-02-2007   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Exactly, we need some players to come in and be short term players. Lelie's best year was under Kubiak. We've always been looking to have a fast #2 WR (tried drafting Troy Williamson in 2005, thank god we didn't) and Lelie could help out if he learned to keep his mouth shut. Green is only 30 years old and has had 1 season when he missed more than 2 games. He had 1000 yards last season and would help out. Carlisle is connected to Kubiak thru Denver and is a solid OG to help us out. Lastly, Garcia could help out despite being 37 (has been in the league only 9 years) and I'm sure a lot of people would rather have Garcia over Plummer and Carr. We don't have the money to get any young, high end talent, so we need to make with the best we can get.
Old 03-02-2007   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with having an excellent coaching/scouting staff is very important, but what I can't agree with is your assessment that "finding talent to fit in the scheme" may be "something of an issue under Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak-Mike Sherman." I think Kubes did what he could last year in the draft and FA to begin molding the team into what he wants. As the old saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day", so also it will take time for Kubes, and now Smith, to get the players they want that will fit their system.

Also, we have to remember, no Coach/GM are going to be perfect in their choices of players (this is where that good scouting staff comes in), in the draft and FA, but I trust Kubes and Smith more than C & C to make the right decisions. Yes, I know we only have what they've done in the past to go by, and I have questioned some of their "moves" too (cutting Moulds, etc..), but I just think we have to give them more time to see what they can do to build this team into a winner. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
We REALLY need to sign the targets we're interested in. We don't have a lot of cap so we can only target a smaller portion of players, so we need to put all our focus into them and sign as many as possible. The draft again will be where we make our mark, but only because of all this dead space because of horrible signings we put ourselves into in the past. Give us Lelie, Green, Garcia, Carlisle and I'll be very happy.
Carlise we could use, perhaps pushing Weary into centre.

Lelie is rubbish and trouble to boot.

Garcia is old and no good on a bad team (see Detroit).

Green is old and on the slippery slope.

Sorry Lork can't agree with your taste in FA.

As for your point, we can't sign people who don't want to play for us because we are a losing team and don't have money to throw around.
Old 03-03-2007   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I know you've probably heard it before, but you've got to give Kubes and Smith atleast one more draft, before you drag them through the mud. We did have a great draft last year (granted the 1st pick is questionable at this point) so last year the talent evaluation was there and Smith did a great job picking up "bandaids", throughout last season.

The only thing that makes me wonder is, Cass the ass was still the GM during last years draft..........was it Cass or Kubes, I guess we'll find out this year.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #14
texansfan1974
Veteran

WE NEED FAN SUPPORT!!!
Old 03-03-2007   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh my god, Killer Clowns?! Suddenly, all my child hood nightmares are coming back!
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
The only thing that makes me wonder is, Cass the ass was still the GM during last years draft..........was it Cass or Kubes, I guess we'll find out this year.
I thought it was an accepted fact that the good moves were Kubiak and the bad ones Casserly.
Old 03-03-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

What we really need is more port a potties and lower beer prices if Carr will be back next year.

Other than that it still remains - FS, CB2, C, OT and LB. And when I say OT, I mean a starter no more of these swingers.
Old 03-03-2007   #18
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

what we really need is an offensive line that can stay healthy and develop over 2 years. we wont get that luxury however with the makeup we have. we need a guy for right guard and left tackle first then they have to play together long enough to get some rythm and chemistry. then we need a QB/playcaller that can do what it takes to win. unfortunately our QB and Playcaller have allways been 2 different people. and Kubiak doesnt trust Carr or the team to get it done. so let kubes pick his QB whoever that is , one he trusts and will call the plays we need on 3rd down. Id like to see plummer in for a year to carry us thru this season with Kolb in the wings learning the big league. I think plummer is too old, dont get me wrong. but I think kubes will trust him enough to get the job done. then develop winston or get someone else. either he has it or he doesnt but develop him and give him a chance. take a safety in the first round, trade up and take kolb with our 2nd pick(late 1st round pick?) WR in the 3rd and best available after that. I dont think trying to get a high dollar RB is the way to go. definately safety with the first pick. plug any holes we have to with FA's but dont go broke doing it. Go Texans!
Old 03-03-2007   #19
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a season of health. Injuries were the difference in us being 6-10 and us being better. 13 players on IR killed us.

We need a young, studly RB (Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson, if available).

We need pass defense...get a FS and an actual CB.

Depth...everywhere.
Old 03-03-2007   #20
NATHANHALE
Veteran

I'd be happy seeing the side of Kubiak that was rumored to work wonders with 'lesser' talent, especially at QB.

I'd like to see an aggressive playbook with a vertical passing game, and not just a QB that hands the ball off.

I'd like us to play like we want to win, instead of saying we can't do this or that because we don't have all the right players...what if we never have 'all' the right players?

I'd like to see us at least attempt to elevate the level of play on the field instead of having the 'why bother' attitude (ala Kubiak had with Carr) like we finished the year with.

I've never seen a team acquire so many players and rarely use them-all WR's except AJ, for example. The Pats said they finally figured out Gaffney's strength was the side line and went that way with him in the play offs. Like many other players, though the HC's preach they will, the Texans rarely play to a player's strength or put him into a position to excel...sound familiar.

IMO, we've got to do a much better job coaching the players we have, instead of waiting for our 'dream' team. Teams that win every year do so with the hand they are dealt and excuses aren't part of their coaching philosophies--unfortunately, our franchise has been built on excuses and a 'we can't because' attitude.

It's like our vertical passing game...we don't even try-where's the coaching to get this off the ground?...and Kubiak's an offensive 'guru?'

More than one poster has suggested we develop our running game and our defense and eliminate production from the QB....geezzzzzzz.

JMO, but the folks that run and coach this team need to take a deep breath...step back...remember their promises...and start making things happen by thinking/playing/executing to win...talk is cheap.
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read