Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2007   #1
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default Carlisle to visit Texans

Quote:
Aaron Wilson of scout.com and ravensinsider.com is reporting Denver Broncos free agent offensive lineman Cooper Carlisle is interested again in possibly joining the Baltimore Ravens, but no signing is imminent and no visit is currently planned.

In fact, Carlisle is scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans and Miami Dolphins.
A little bit about him:

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=28863
Quote:
2005: Started all 16 games and helped block for Andersonís 1,000-rushing yard performance en route to the team gaining its second-most rushing yards (2,539) on the fourth-most rushes (542) in team history.

2004: Carlisle played all 16 regular-season games for the Broncos on special teams and saw action at guard in six contests (4 starts). Carlisle, who started Denver's final four regular-season games at right guard in place of the injured Dan Neil, helped the Broncos set a franchise record by allowing only 15 sacks, shattering the previous best of 22 sacks set in 1971, to rank third in the NFL. Despite season-ending injuries to the Broncos' top two running backs early in the year, Denver totaled the franchise's sixth-best single-season rushing total (2,333 yds.) behind the strong play of its offensive line. Carlisle started at right guard in Denver's AFC Wild Card Game at Ind. (1/9), marking the first playoff start of his career.
http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl_players/1574/detail.html
Quote:
Broncos guard Cooper Carlisle is expected to be a hot commodity on the free agent market this offseason. The Denver Post believes he could be the No. 2 guard behind Eric Steinbach, with no mention of Kris Dielman. Carlisle turns 30 next season, whereas the other two are just coming off their rookie contracts.
And no surprise, he was on Denver. Sounds like a solid player that could help us out though.
Old 03-02-2007   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro
Default Re: Carlisle to visit Texans

the problem is our need along the o-line is at tackle and center not guard...with pitts and weary we're actually pretty set
Old 03-02-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

If he knows the blocking schemes and the playbook and can provide depth at a reasonable cost, don't hesitate to get him.
Old 03-02-2007   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah but i don't think he's gonna come as cheap as other players...and the coaching staff really seems to like the kid they got during the season jackson...i mean the guy is 30 and is probably gonna ask for a mil plus per year to sign...that's way more than i think we need to be spending on a position that isn't of need
Old 03-02-2007   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

: Depth? But we have Bedell and Salaam...

Old 03-02-2007   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Wow...... I didn't realise Cooper was a FA...

& they just traded away their only 1st round offensive linemen.

It must be pretty easy to find an OL to fit the Broncos scheme, if they've never drafted a lineman earlier than the third(Cooper was drafted in the fourth) with the exception of the guy they just traded+a 2nd round running back+this years 5th round pick for one 2nd round Corner.
Old 03-02-2007   #7
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

I don't mind Chester at LG but I think we'd do well to be in position to have someone challenge Fred at RG. Granted, I think Fred improved the last six or so games of last year but still... if we can do better, I'm all for it.
Old 03-02-2007   #8
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Wasn't Fred a center? If we could bring in Carlisle and shift Weary back to Center...and not have to start McKinney on the line.....That is a start there in itself. That's like three moves signing one player.
Old 03-02-2007   #9
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
Wasn't Fred a center? If we could bring in Carlisle and shift Weary back to Center...and not have to start McKinney on the line.....That is a start there in itself. That's like three moves signing one player.
was thinking the same thing until i saw you posted it. not sure how much time weary has had at center at the pro level, but i'd be interested to see.
Old 03-02-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a bad thing to have many good Guards on our team. I'd rather a good Tackle or Center more though. I saw him on Denver's FA list and it sparked my interest.

I'd take him for the right price...would'nt overpay too much though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus we released Ephraim. I hope we can resign him later for cheaper and that's why we did it. Bedell isn't he one of our FA too though?

I'm also hoping we address the line via the draft as well...either C or T
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #12
kubs-elway
Rookie

Cooper can run block with the best of them, has trouble with a bull rush, would need help in that area, would be a great pick, probally cheap.
Old 03-02-2007   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Plus we released Ephraim.
Salaam was not released--he was playing on a one year deal and so became a FA.
Old 03-02-2007   #14
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will try to find a link but I thought he played RT for the broncos last year. So the only question is which former broncos is going to replace Payne? Meyers?
Moulds= Lelie
Wiegrat=Carslie
Payne=Meyers
Old 03-02-2007   #15
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
I will try to find a link but I thought he played RT for the broncos last year. So the only question is which former broncos is going to replace Payne? Meyers?
Moulds= Lelie
Wiegrat=Carslie
Payne=Meyers
Myers would be a nice add.
Old 03-02-2007   #16
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...&contentID=707

He is listed as a guard/ tackle, but it looks like 2003 was his last time to get significant minutes at Tackle, but still I wonder if Kubes is giving him attention because of the potential to play Tackle.
Old 03-02-2007   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776 View Post
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...&contentID=707

He is listed as a guard/ tackle, but it looks like 2003 was his last time to get significant minutes at Tackle, but still I wonder if Kubes is giving him attention because of the potential to play Tackle.
Probably looking at his potential to not totally suck.
Old 03-03-2007   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Probably looking at his potential to not totally suck.
That is just cold man.

I hope we get Carlisle especially if he has potential to play some tackle as well as guard.

I would like to see: Spencer, Pitts, Weary, Carlisle, Winston.

Unless we draft a OL, I would like to see Kalil if miracles happen and he lasts till our #2 pick.
Old 03-03-2007   #19
Ckw

Right now I don't think we can be real picky about getting any decent/good offensive lineman. Frankly, I will take what we can get.
Old 03-03-2007   #20
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Right now I don't think we can be real picky about getting any decent/good offensive lineman. Frankly, I will take what we can get.
i agree. i'll take what we can get and hope some of them turn out better than expected.

green and lelie visit tomorrow (per abc 13), so we'll see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read