Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2004   #1
willy
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to willy
Thumbs down Double D

What the hell is wrong with Domanick Davis?????

I had him in my fantasy lineup yesterday but he has to leave the game AGAIN with an injury...anyone knows what is happening...???

Last year I had David Carr on my fantasy, and he was an average backup, Domanikc Davis had a fantastic year (at least, in fantasy terms...). This year, David is my starter, making like 30 fantasy points per week, but Domanick didn't do anything...AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH....!!!!

Willy
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mess with fantasy football myself, but I've got a few pieces of advice (even though I'm a Texan fan):

1) I wouldn't have chosen DD for a whole season, because he's small and a little injury prone. He can be really good at times, though. Maybe your choices were somewhat limited. I don't know.

2) Our offensive line has made great strides, but it was definitely not ready to really protect Carr last year. We're still a little concerned about it this year, as a matter of fact, but it's getting better all the time. Of course, then there's the Andre Johson factor.

So, basically, you chose two great players, but they were still not real great picks. Try Carr again in a few years.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I am a little worried about our RB situation.
Old 10-18-2004   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, me too. I'm happy with what Wells has been doing, but I'm worried that he won't be able to keep it up, for whatever reason, and DD seems to have just lost it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Wells was EXTREMELY slow to the hole yesterday? It seemed like slow motion, but he still got decent yardage.
I say "hole" kind of tongue and cheek because I still don't really get the new blocking scheme. I'm not even seeing holes or a hole at all. I think I'm seeing the O-line just trying to stand up the man in front of them and let the RB FIND a hole, if there is one at all. I know it works for Denver, so that's why I don't complain. I'm no expert on blocking schemes, anyway. I just understand the basic "push your guy back and away from the hole that will be run through" approach. That and pulling guards to run sweeps.

Last edited by HJam72; 10-18-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2004   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Personally, I am a little worried about our RB situation.
Me too. Davis is averaging 2.9 yards per carry (I think that was Wells' average during the inaugural year). Wells is doing a good job but I dont think he is anything more than a quality backup. And what happened to my boy Hollings??? It is looking like we will use a high pick on RB and there are a couple of good ones coming out...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

"Carlos Beltran is good."

That's the understatement of the decade.
Old 10-18-2004   #7
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

We need a bigger set RB. Davis is too small. Not too small but not the size you'd like your every down back to be.
Old 10-18-2004   #8
willy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
We need a bigger set RB. Davis is too small. Not too small but not the size you'd like your every down back to be.
This is so funny. I always been listening about the "little" Domanikc Davis, but Priest Holmes is 5-9, 213 and Domanick is 5-9, 221... (NFL.com)...anyway, I think too that Davis maybe was a nice surprise the last season but...he's not for real anymore...

Willy
Old 10-18-2004   #9
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
This is so funny. I always been listening about the "little" Domanikc Davis, but Priest Holmes is 5-9, 213 and Domanick is 5-9, 221... (NFL.com)...anyway, I think too that Davis maybe was a nice surprise the last season but...he's not for real anymore...

Willy
Good point willy but considering we don't have the O-line Priest Holmes has, Davis doesn't appear to have the size for our system. Hopefully our O-line gets it together and begins to open up holes for D.D. or else you'll see the same lack of ground production in our game and more injuries as well.
Old 10-18-2004   #10
willy
Rookie

Yeah, this is the part that I dont want to see... Im sure that with a powerful Oline doesnt mind who is running...

Do you think that we will have to select a Rb in the next Drat? I will prefer a pure pass rusher like a great DE...

Willy
Old 10-18-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
Yeah, this is the part that I dont want to see... Im sure that with a powerful Oline doesnt mind who is running...

Do you think that we will have to select a Rb in the next Drat? I will prefer a pure pass rusher like a great DE...

Willy
They are really no pure pass rushing DE's for a 3-4 defense. The D-Linemen's job is to take 2 blockers and free up space for the LBs.

Carnell Williams and Cedric Benson are two guys I would like...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #12
willy
Rookie

Maybe its time to change from 3-4 to 4-3...what do you think about that...???

Willy
Old 10-18-2004   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok, look guys this is just simply "the way it is".

1. Davis is not small. His size is not an issue. Niether is his "ability". He's a good running back but not a great one. He's got a major drawback in terms of staying healthy and right now his head's a little bit off kilter but he's not "done". The Domanick Davis we saw last season was Domanick Davis. It's just that DD last year looked like Walter Payton compared to what we'd been getting prior to that. His instincts are great and he's got a real knack for seeing and then popping through holes but he's in the worst kind of funk a back of his kind can get in. He's thinking about everything he does instead of just doing it. Maybe it's because he's had a big bout of the fumbles this season or maybe it's too much pressure for him after he put that "2,000 yard season" thing out there but his biggest problem (aside from being apparently fragile) is in his head.

2. Wells IS slow to the hole. Wells is always going to be slow to the hole and no power in the universe is ever going to change that. When he gets that big load of his going though he looks like a beast. It just doesn't happen that often. In order to look good Wells needs excellent blocking. Excellent, nothing less will do because if the defense catches him before he gets up a head of steam he's going down right then and there.

Davis isn't the answer and Wells isn't the answer. I suspect that niether is Tony Hollings but the jury remains out at this time. Both can and will have their moments but niether one is going to be our "Franchise Back".
Old 10-18-2004   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Ronnie Brown is another guy who looks good at Rb this year.

I really like Erasmus James from Wisconsin at DE. But i think he is 2 small for the 3-4. Makes me wonder why we skipped out on Wilfork.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Kay Jay Harris!

I like Ronnie Brown too but he might be taken in the first round.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #16
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Look at this past years RB draft class and how they have done. The number 1 back selected is a backup(Stephen Jackson). Kevin Jones (2nd RB picked) has rushed for 100 yards so far. The next three picked (Bell, Jones, and Greg Jones) are backups also. The most productive RB of last years draft so far is Mewelde Moore, and he was picked in the fourth round.

My point is that if we pick a RB high, it's by no means an instant upgrade. I wouldn't mind picking a RB in the third or fourth, but let's not use a first round pick. RB's don't always make immediate impacts and they are always a risk because they take such a pounding.
Old 10-18-2004   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

fun site to track the draft.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
Say what you want about DD's performance or how the Texans use him, but this DD is too small thing needs to be put out to pasture. Try looking at the top 20 backs for rushing yards--three of them are over 225 lbs--the majority are smaller than DD.
Old 10-18-2004   #19
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Look at this past years RB draft class and how they have done. The number 1 back selected is a backup(Stephen Jackson). Kevin Jones (2nd RB picked) has rushed for 100 yards so far. The next three picked (Bell, Jones, and Greg Jones) are backups also. The most productive RB of last years draft so far is Mewelde Moore, and he was picked in the fourth round.

My point is that if we pick a RB high, it's by no means an instant upgrade. I wouldn't mind picking a RB in the third or fourth, but let's not use a first round pick. RB's don't always make immediate impacts and they are always a risk because they take such a pounding.

That's why I suggested Kay Jay Harris. He is likely a 3rd round pick because he was a JUCO transfer and this is his first full season at the Division 1 level.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Ronnie Brown is another guy who looks good at Rb this year.

. Makes me wonder why we skipped out on Wilfork.
Because they took Dunta ?
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read