Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2007   #1
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Default I hope Rick Smith was taking notes in Denver!

So Denver made it known that they wanted to get rid of Tatum Bell and Jake Plummer.... they throw in a scrub OL and a 5th round pick and what do they get out of it?

Not much, just a PRO BOWL corner (Dre Bly) and a 4th round pick.

So they added a front line starter and IMPROVED their draft picks by losing a 5th and getting a 4th.

WOW, I hope Rick Smith was taking good notes before he came here...

Why can't we make moves like that? We make it known we want to trade Carr and we can't get squat for him. And you can't tell me he doesn't have as much value as Plummer, and even more upside...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default Re: I hope Rick Smith was taking notes in Denver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
Why can't we make moves like that? We make it known we want to trade Carr and we can't get squat for him. And you can't tell me he doesn't have as much value as Plummer, and even more upside...
that's funny. a Carr hater trying to drum up support based on his upside.
Old 03-02-2007   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
That's rich.
Old 03-02-2007   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because we don't have a QB, a RB or an OL as good as the one's Denver gave up.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #5
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Plummer has more value than Carr. They are getting a quarterback that has been to the playoffs with two different teams.

Carr on the other hand....
Old 03-02-2007   #6
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Smart ass. What I mean is good management would SELL another team on his upside.
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP

Quote:
Smart ass. What I mean is good management would SELL another team on his upside.
uhhh...he isnt as good as plummer, and doesnt have the winning pedigree that plummer does.
Old 03-02-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol, TOO FUNNY. if they do make the move for Quinn, he won't be the only one gripping. Goining to be a whole sale change on some posters names in here next season.
Old 03-02-2007   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can only put so much shine on a turd. Fact is Tatum Bell is better then any Rb we have under contract, Plummer is better then any QB we have under contract, and Foster is better then any OL we would be willing to part with.

How do you expect Rick Smith to compete in teh trade market with the crap we have on the roster?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
So Denver made it known that they wanted to get rid of Tatum Bell and Jake Plummer.... they throw in a scrub OL and a 5th round pick and what do they get out of it?

Not much, just a PRO BOWL corner (Dre Bly) and a 4th round pick.

So they added a front line starter and IMPROVED their draft picks by losing a 5th and getting a 4th.

WOW, I hope Rick Smith was taking good notes before he came here...

'

dude dont you get it? Carr DOESNT have as much value as Plummer and Carr has no upside because he sucks. Finally the NFL is showing some of you homers how they truly feel about Carr. Carr sucks and that is why no one wants him. Plummer is better, Kitna is better, geez even statue of liberty Bledsoe is better.

Judgement Day has come and all you Carr homers have been proven wrong. Dude just plain sucks.
Old 03-02-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Foster is that first round Draft pick you guys been wanting. He ain't no scrub. Well, he's never made it to the Left side, so I guess he is really, but he's started every game since 2004, save 3.
Old 03-02-2007   #12
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Jake Plummer?

All I've heard is that he was traded to TB and retired because of it.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #13
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEROtheZERO View Post
Jake Plummer?

All I've heard is that he was traded to TB and retired because of it.
i believe he "retired" instead of going to TB. seems like a smokescreen to me.
Old 03-02-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i believe he "retired" instead of going to TB. seems like a smokescreen to me.
He only threatened to retire and that axed the deal.
Old 03-02-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He only threatened to retire and that axed the deal.
According to this snippet, the deal is on hold. Do you think Tampa would do a 3 way trade between Denver, Tampa and Houston? Tampa would get Carr, Houston would get Plummer and Denver would receive either 1 or 2 4th rounders. I think all 3 teams would end up happy. I guess it would depend if Tampa would even consider Carr over Plummer. Eh, doubtful, but interesting.

Quote:
A source in the Tampa Bay organization said Friday afternoon the deal to acquire Plummer is "on hold ... at best." The source indicated that there were ongoing discussions aimed at convincing Plummer to accept the trade and play in 2007, but that the veteran passer was prepared to walk away from the game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2785459
Old 03-02-2007   #16
Janus3
Veteran

except dre bly sucks. slow, can't jam and gets blown on deep plays. lions made the steal there.
Old 03-02-2007   #17
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3 View Post
except dre bly sucks. slow, can't jam and gets blown on deep plays. lions made the steal there.
Actually, Bly is just the opposite. He is more of a true cover corner and didn't fit well in the run stuffing CB that is required of Marinelli's cover 2, which predicates more zone. Bly is much better suited to man to man coverage and is considered a top cover corner.

That being said, I agree that the Lions got the best end of the deal because they gave up two regulars for 1 and didn't drastically improve the draft pick.

The Lions now have a starting tackle and a RB to cover their butts if Jones doesn't recover. Now at the 2nd pick, they no longer NEED to take Joe Thomas and are in a much better position to trade out of the spot for multiple picks, or in fact can pass on Joe Thomas for a D line player should they view that as more of a need, which they do because they have no DE's right now.

I think it was a great trade by Detroit, and a move by Denver they felt they needed to do in order to recover from the sudden death of Darrent Williams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read