Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2004   #1
georgewashington
Veteran

Default why all the cover 2 and zone

it seemed to me that the DB's were doing a good job yesterday with man to man coverage, but the coaches kept calling cover 2 and other zones later in the game that yielded many receiving yards. The safetys were 10 yards deeper than the receivers when they were 30 yards down field, thats unacceptable, and after all the great breakups and interceptions the coaches should have had more confidence. When its a 10 point game with 4 minutes left and the titans ahve the ball, you cant allow them to march straight down the field by playing prevent defense, thats why they almost scored until that last interception in the endzone. If tenn. scores they are down three and can onside still.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

I agree the coaches were giving mcnair way to much room to work with. Dont they remember wht happened last year when we had the lead ???
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

One thing that might of affected the way the coaches called the game was that Aaron Glenn hadnt eaten since Friday and had a stomach flu. He had to take IV's during the game. (Heard that on "Inside the Game" on ABC 13). Another reason the Texans probably didnt blitz that much was because they might of been afraid of blitzing at the wrong time and Chris Brown ripping off a 70 yard TD...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
One thing that might of affected the way the coaches called the game was that Aaron Glenn hadnt eaten since Friday and had a stomach flu. He had to take IV's during the game. (Heard that on "Inside the Game" on ABC 13). Another reason the Texans probably didnt blitz that much was because they might of been afraid of blitzing at the wrong time and Chris Brown ripping off a 70 yard TD...

Wasnt Chris Brown in the locker room after Simmons laid one on him ? :hehe:
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #5
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember right, on the Titans' last drive all they Texans did was blitz until Tennessee got into the red zone. I thought I saw them send about 6 guys quite a few time. TEN was doing a great job of picking it up and with only a few DBs in coverage, McNair was completing everything. Maybe someone who DVR'ed it can double check it.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #6
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
it seemed to me that the DB's were doing a good job yesterday with man to man coverage, but the coaches kept calling cover 2 and other zones later in the game... If tenn. scores they are down three and can onside still.
I believe I heard that the Texans didn't allow even one big pass (25yds) to the Tacks. I know what you mean about the 'risk' of prevent defense, but it's ahrd to critize the result. Plus, an onside kick isn't a very high percentage play.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read