Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2007   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Texans: No cap space & 20 M in dead money

This from the Chronicle:

The Texans "have $18 million to $20 million in dead money players no longer on the roster who still count against the cap."

Am I crazy or is this just a poorly managed franchise top to bottom? How can you be a perennial loser AND have 20M in dead money and no cap space?

Plus we've got that 60 million all star David Carr!

Sheeesh.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans: No cap space & 20 M in dead money

They have about $20 mil in dead money, but they also brought $7.7 mil forward from last year for incentives which weren't met leaving them with about $18 mil in cap space right now. Figure $4 mil for rookies, $5 or so to resign some of their FA's and they have about $9 mil to play with in cap room. Not loads of room but that is enough room for two serious acquisitions or one plus 2-3 lesser guys.
Old 03-01-2007   #3
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i guess we'll see tomorrow
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask Charley Casserly. How many stupid contracts did he give up? Gotta blame Kubiak a little bit too though. Eric Moulds had a 4 year deal.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Since when does Kubiak work contracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i guess we'll see tomorrow
Actually at 11:01 PM, CST today.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #7
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Ask Charley Casserly. How many stupid contracts did he give up? Gotta blame Kubiak a little bit too though. Eric Moulds had a 4 year deal.
i thought moulds had a 2 year deal, but with a small bonus?

i dont think moulds had to much to do with it, robaire, wade, payne, walker... i think they ****ED us over, good job CC
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Actually at 11:01 PM, CST today.
ok my bad , my bad, haha
Old 03-01-2007   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i thought moulds had a 2 year deal, but with a small bonus?

4 years 14 million with a 5 million bonus -- and a fifth round pick.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

just think of it this way. once we pay off all that dead money we'll be in good shape. That should be about the time after a few of Kubiak and Smith drafts that our team is more solid and REALLY taking form. once those come together about the same time we'll be a pretty solid team.

Then once we have a pretty solid team, no dead money, and decent cap space we can finally sign some FA's and we'll be in the playoffs and contending for the AFC Championship. I know you don't want to hear it but give us 4 years and we're going to be winning the south division repeatedly.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #11
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 73923 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
4 years 14 million with a 5 million bonus -- and a fifth round pick.
What changes in less than 12 months that causes a team to give away a player after a 5 million signing bonus, 4 year contract and a fifth round pick? What is the thought process?

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
What changes in less than 12 months that causes a team to give away a player after a 5 million signing bonus, 4 year contract and a fifth round pick? What is the thought process?
That's what i'm wondering...probably something we'll never know. but moulds had to have been un happy and asked to leave. i dont think they'd do it other wise.
Old 03-01-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The last ten games of the season.....2 TD passes with one of them in garbage time...that should do it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #14
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
The Texans "have $18 million to $20 million in dead money players no longer on the roster who still count against the cap."

Am I crazy or is this just a poorly managed franchise top to bottom? How can you be a perennial loser AND have 20M in dead money and no cap space?
Charley Casserly was the worst GM imaginable. I'd take the average fantasy football GM over that *****. Kubiak is compounding the problem by trying to cut every player with Casserly ties when we have no better options.

It's like quitting your current job before you have any idea where your new job is going to be. You end up being an unemployed bum.
Old 03-01-2007   #15
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 73923 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The last ten games of the season.....2 TD passes with one of them in garbage time...that should do it.
So you think it is strictly performance based (which Kubiak said:football decision)? Even if it was, how many times was Moulds thrown to. It is not like I remember him dropping loads of TD passes in the endzone.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #16
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

THANKS CHARLEY!!! We miss you! Please come back!
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #17
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
Charley Casserly
Can you believe this doofus was on CBS this last season as some kind of 'expert'? His expert choices will still be hurting us for some time to come. Possibly for YEARS.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
THANKS CHARLEY!!! We miss you! Please come back!
let's just refer to him for now on as "You know who" or "the one who shall remain nameless"....what was it in harry potter?
Old 03-01-2007   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you think it is strictly performance based (which Kubiak said:football decision)? Even if it was, how many times was Moulds thrown to. It is not like I remember him dropping loads of TD passes in the endzone.
no, I was doing too many things at once and thought you asked how the team could look at Carr in a different light in less than a year after pushing his contract to 60 million dollars.

I honestly don't know what to think about the Moulds situation. He had a radio show and he spoke out about how he was wide open and Carr never saw him...so I'm deeply cynical that this is more than a football decision (I'm willing to accept that it was though...I don't grade film). It's been 5 years of PC and little drummer boy smiles around here....I am thinking and hoping that this mentality/culture is changing. I'm hopeful we sign a nice FA WR and won't stress the Moulds decision too much...but cutting the guy one year after signing him for 4 reeks of something funky one way or another...be it poor personnel evaluation, or having a clubhouse that is way too PC. Moulds had the best season that any WR had that isn't named Andre Johnson with 57 catches last year (thanks herv). Carr had his usual disappointing season and it isn't like Carr was lighting up the scoreboard with everyone except Moulds...historically, the WR2 here doesn't get many looks. That didn't change this season, I don't care how you spin it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Makes no sense IMO. As a cap matter, they are paying to not have him around which just isn't justifiable to me without having a bird in the hand that is definitely better. Heck if you want a burner #2 then make Moulds the #3 and keep him one more year before cutting him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read