Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-01-2007   #1
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat
Default Okoye or Branch

Since we released Payne, we've pretty much said we are going after DT, and assuming Peterson won't be there. Now what I want to know is which one do we get. I like the fact that Okoye is only like 20. Despite his youth, he still makes good decisions on the field. I watched him a few times this year and he reminded me alot of Tamba Hali. Having not seen Branch play really except in the Ohio State game and USC game, neither of which I got to see more than a half of, I don't really have a good insight on him. Help me out.
Old 03-01-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okoye or Branch

both are awesome players. Branch has been said to be a better NT in a 3-4. he's a clogger and run stuffer.

Okoye has said to be quicker and fit the 4-3 better. he will penetrate and force the qb towards the outside.

i would go after okoye personally. i think he would fit this team better and help out more. his physicalness and age aside (add that in and he's a stud) he'd look good next to mario.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat View Post
Since we released Payne, we've pretty much said we are going after DT, and assuming Peterson won't be there. Now what I want to know is which one do we get. I like the fact that Okoye is only like 20. Despite his youth, he still makes good decisions on the field. I watched him a few times this year and he reminded me alot of Tamba Hali. Having not seen Branch play really except in the Ohio State game and USC game, neither of which I got to see more than a half of, I don't really have a good insight on him. Help me out.
OKOYE, hands down! He is four years younger than Branch, has a degree, and already is as good. He has a wide base and is built very low to the ground with room to grow. At the combine he was faster and only four bench reps off of Branch. I'm sure Okoye will improve at least one rep a year. Branch will eat up space, but Okoye is a phenom and has a much higher ceiling. Okoye and Mario working side by side will cause nightmares for opponents.
Old 03-01-2007   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
both are awesome players. Branch has been said to be a better NT in a 3-4. he's a clogger and run stuffer.

Okoye has said to be quicker and fit the 4-3 better. he will penetrate and force the qb towards the outside.

i would go after okoye personally. i think he would fit this team better and help out more. his physicalness and age aside (add that in and he's a stud) he'd look good next to mario.
Branch. Just like Mario you don't by pass the huge athletic DTs. John Henderson types only come around once in a while. The guy is so athletic in a pinch....you could move him out side. I dissagree with the 3-4 assesment. Okoye is the quicker of the two and he's younger. But Branch would feed mario & Meeco better in my mind. Not putting the TJ tag on Okoye, but this is prety much what was said about Travis Johnson when he came out. That didn't translate to well for us in our 4-3. 8 pick if he's still on the board, you take the guy that locks down the middle of your line. JMHO.
Old 03-01-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye.

Even with the extra (15 lbs ?) weight he put on between the Senior Bowl and the Combine, he looked extremely strong...and this is coming from a huge fan of picking Branch earlier.

It's just a little intangible, but the PR boost we would receive from selecting Okoye would help this team too.
Old 03-01-2007   #6
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

Okoye, Branch is just like Watson was lazy.
i dont want either, i just dont like a DT that early.
Old 03-01-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

impressive, I wouldn't have a problem with either i guess.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Branch is a monster in the middle.

I like the John Henderson comment earlier in the thread. That's who I think of when I wonder what Branch will be like in a few years.

Most of Okoye's hype is because of his age.

I dont wanna take anything away from him cuz he looks great. He is quick, strong, and smart.

But Branch is stronger, faster, and Okoye is only a little bit quicker than him.

Okoye is just getting more attention because he will be so young when he starts his career.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

If Branch is stuck at DT, would his size inside allow us to play Weaver at the other DT spot more often? Or would it have no effect? I'm no good with the specifics of position play.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269 View Post
If Branch is stuck at DT, would his size inside allow us to play Weaver at the other DT spot more often? Or would it have no effect? I'm no good with the specifics of position play.
I'd be very wary of moving Weaver inside...especially now with him having surgery on his shoulder. Could he take that pounding all game for 16 games?
Old 03-01-2007   #11
cook56
Rookie

Okoye!
Old 03-01-2007   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
I'd be very wary of moving Weaver inside...especially now with him having surgery on his shoulder. Could he take that pounding all game for 16 games?
I don't really know. That's why I wondered if Branch would have any impact on his ability to play inside better. If we go DT and intend for Weaver to remain at DE...I agree with someone else that posted we need to go Okoye and generate some inside rush.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

while I understand the defensive line still needs help I'd really hate to see the Texans use #1 pick for the 3rd consecutive year on DL. I don't mind going defense (LARON LANDRY his comparison is Ronnie Lott) however instead of Levi Brown who I've been supporting as the pick over a month ago

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
while I understand the defensive line still needs help I'd really hate to see the Texans use #1 pick for the 3rd consecutive year on DL. I don't mind going defense (LARON LANDRY his comparison is Ronnie Lott) however instead of Levi Brown who I've been supporting as the pick over a month ago
dont forget the Babin pick in 2004.
Old 03-01-2007   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
dont forget the Babin pick in 2004.
you mean that 3-4 OLB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #16
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Branch. Just like Mario you don't by pass the huge athletic DTs. John Henderson types only come around once in a while. The guy is so athletic in a pinch....you could move him out side. I dissagree with the 3-4 assesment. Okoye is the quicker of the two and he's younger. But Branch would feed mario & Meeco better in my mind. Not putting the TJ tag on Okoye, but this is prety much what was said about Travis Johnson when he came out.
Branch is good, but Okoye is a freak, physically and mentally. Okoye graduated college; Branch came out early as a junior. Okoye is a teenager while Branch is 22 and he is only 4 bench press reps behind Branch. Okoye runs the 40 in 4.9, Branch runs it in 5.1. Okoye performed better in every drill at the combine except bench press. I'm sure by the time he is 22 going into his 3rd year he would be the best DT in the game, especially playing next to Mario. Branch can be compared to John Henderson, while Okoye is compared to Tommie Harris. Size is good for DT, but strength is better, Okoye has time and room to grow. I would be happy to see either of them playing next to Mario, especially Okoye.

Last edited by trutxn; 03-01-2007 at 08:12 PM.
trutxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #17
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
That mentality alone has us talking about who is going to be our future QB and RB! Remember?
Old 03-01-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you mean that 3-4 OLB
oh right...is that what he is?!
Old 03-01-2007   #19
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Id take Okoye.

Who would you take in their prime, John Henderson or Warren Sapp?...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #20
trutxn
Veteran

We need to bring in Okoye to reck some havoc with Mario!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read