Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2007   #1
real

Default Texans want to re-sign Salaam

Quote:
The Texans are hoping to re-sign veteran offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam, who played one season and is an unrestricted free agent. If Charles Spencer makes a full recovery from his broken leg, Salaam would be the swing tackle.
"I like what Ephraim stands for and what a positive influence he had on the younger linemen," Kubiak said. "We asked him to help the young guys, and he did, and then he played in 14 games after Charles went down. He's the kind of high-character guy I like to have on my team."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4592006.html
Old 03-01-2007   #2
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Default Re: Texans want to re-sign Salaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
He's a solid tackle. I'm glad he'll be around a little while longer.
Old 03-01-2007   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am looking forward to see what Kevin can do. What little I saw of him last year he has good hands and decent speed.

It would also be nice to see if Mathis figured out how to catch the ball so he could compete for the #2 slot.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #4
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:

I agree with Kubiak, he played pretty banged up. He knew that the team needed him to play and he toughed through it.

It isn't like he was on a fresh pair of legs,he showed great leadership.
Old 03-01-2007   #5
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

good insurance policy in-case spencer aint 100%
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam was a warrior for us last year, showing great character and determination. I hope we bring him back because I think he is a guy that the young guys can learn from and who we can count on if things go pear shaped.
Old 03-01-2007   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's quality depth, but that it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Salaam's a good player to keep around. He may be the only guy who played as hurt as Mario did. Not bad for an older guy.
Old 03-01-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

But can he stay healthy?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
But can he stay healthy?
Hopefully he won't have to. He's being signed for depth, not to build this team on, and we most likely won't be spending a lot to keep him around.

But think about it.

Freeney(twice), Ware, Taylor... got nothing while Salaam was in the game. Well, Taylor did get past Salaam once, but that was on the very next play where Salaam came back into the game, after getting smacked really hard...... I think he was out for 4 plays or so.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-01-2007 at 01:54 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #11
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hopefully he won't have to. He's being signed for depth, not to build this team on, and we most likely won't be spending a lot to keep him around.

But think about it.

Freeney(twice), Ware, Taylor... got nothing while Salaam was in the game. Well, Taylor did get past Salaam once, but that was on the very next play where Taylor came back into the game, after getting smacked really hard...... I think he was out for 4 plays or so.

Agreed TK, he gives the young guys a standard to have to live up too. You have to tough it out because Salaam does.
Old 03-01-2007   #12
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Lts are a premium. Other teams may attempt to sign him.
Old 03-01-2007   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I never saw Salaam's value. Injury or not, he played to the level I expected for a guy run out of Jacksonville for allowing too many sacks on Byron. He never looked solid, and would have had higher sack numbers if Weigert hadn't played under him. Too many times Carr was sacked by the right side with the left tackle not a step away from him.

I understand the guy being here for depth, and I know Kubes has an obsession with swing players, but I think the Texans are better off with other players. God help us if he has to start as the Texans left tackle again this year.
Old 03-01-2007   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but I never saw Salaam's value. Injury or not, he played to the level I expected for a guy run out of Jacksonville for allowing too many sacks on Byron. He never looked solid, and would have had higher sack numbers if Weigert hadn't played under him. Too many times Carr was sacked by the right side with the left tackle not a step away from him.

I understand the guy being here for depth, and I know Kubes has an obsession with swing players, but I think the Texans are better off with other players. God help us if he has to start as the Texans left tackle again this year.
I think his biggest Value comes from having been in the system before, and being able to help some of our younger OL, more specifically Winston and Spencer....
Old 03-01-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think his biggest Value comes from having been in the system before, and being able to help some of our younger OL, more specifically Winston and Spencer....
I agree with this. As long as he doesn't break the bank, he's a good one to hang on to. He also seems like a very intelligent and well spoken man. So, I'd like to see him around next season for not only depth but as a mentor.
Old 03-01-2007   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
He's a solid tackle. I'm glad he'll be around a little while longer.

Have they changed the meaning of the word "solid" recently?

Just wondering.
Old 03-01-2007   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

salaam is a quality guy...i think this is his last year in the pros...i think depending on guys that we are able to bring in that he might not make it past june 1st...if we are able to get a guy like jordon black or mike gandy or draft a guy in the top 4 rounds of the draft i do not feel that he will be here during the season...but i am for bringing him back he still has a lot he can teach to winston, pitts, weary, and spencer

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read