Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2007   #1
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jim Plunkett and David Carr

There's a lot of similarities. Northern California guy. Drafted #1 overall. Bad offensive line in New England and the team gave up on him. Finally played with a good offensive line in Oakland and the rest is history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Plunkett
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: Jim Plunkett and David Carr

Not to agree or disagree but who says Carr cant, Kubes plays are designed to go to 1 reciever and only 1check off. Its totally diffrent type of passing scheme. Thats why he allways had to dump it off to the rb bc his one reciever was usually covered.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
There's a lot of similarities. Northern California guy. Drafted #1 overall. Bad offensive line in New England and the team gave up on him. Finally played with a good offensive line in Oakland and the rest is history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Plunkett
yeah and again people say David Carr is like Tim Couch....

nuff said!
Old 03-01-2007   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

David Klingler
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Young Circa Tampa Bay?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #6
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

That's the comparison I'd use.
Old 03-01-2007   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
Not to agree or disagree but who says Carr cant, Kubes plays are designed to go to 1 reciever and only 1check off. Its totally diffrent type of passing scheme. Thats why he allways had to dump it off to the rb bc his one reciever was usually covered.
Not true. Carr himself bragged about all the targets he'd have to throw to on any given play--always someone would be open, up to him to find him...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
MATRIX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
Not true. Carr himself bragged about all the targets he'd have to throw to on any given play--always someone would be open, up to him to find him...
What was he suppose to say?

Carr: Yea, I have tons of guys I can throw to...but coach only has really 2 per pass play I CAN throw to.

OR

Carr: I love all the targets I have. But, I can only pick 2 a game.

The guy is in a system he isn't doing too bad in. Look at his comp. % to prove it. He just needs alittle more OL and stop being scared of getting hit. Then agian after this long, he knows he will get hit. They just need to D-V-E-L-O-P Carr, Dom failed to do it. Gary is really making an effort. It could be he turns out to be a star. It could be he is a dud...we just have to wait and see.

What if we trade/cut him. Then on his new team he shows what Dom saw(if he saw anything) and wins a Super Bowl. Then we will all ***** that we should of kept him. Look at Steve Young in Tampa, he sucked. In San Fran, with a good coach and a system(not to mention a true OL and RB) he did just that.
MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

O man...

Plunkett is nothing like Carr.

Plunkett was second or third in the NFL for TDs thrown in his rookie year. That year with the poor offensive line.
Old 03-01-2007   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I guess its just coincidence the same crappy offense was implemented by Capers as well? Carr very rarely progresses from one receiver to the next. Actually, he almost never does unless he is outside of the pocket and the receivers break off their routes. The works well now and then on roll outs but between the players and coaches on D, it doesn't take very long to cover the roll outs and make Carr sit in the pocket.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #11
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny Testaverde.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Please STOP IT. David Carr is David Carr. There are dozens, if not hundreds of strong armed guys who were successes in college that didn't make it in the pros. The NFL freeway is littered with them. People need to stop trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.
Old 03-01-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How can anyone compare the era of the NFL in the late 70s and early 80s to the 2000s is beyond me.

The game has changed so much, the players have changed and speed of the game, the salary cap, and free agency.

I suspect players that were succesful back then wouldn't be successful today, and vice versa. Things have change so much...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #14
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATRIX View Post
What was he suppose to say?

Carr: Yea, I have tons of guys I can throw to...but coach only has really 2 per pass play I CAN throw to.

OR

Carr: I love all the targets I have. But, I can only pick 2 a game.

The guy is in a system he isn't doing too bad in. Look at his comp. % to prove it. He just needs alittle more OL and stop being scared of getting hit. Then agian after this long, he knows he will get hit. They just need to D-V-E-L-O-P Carr, Dom failed to do it. Gary is really making an effort. It could be he turns out to be a star. It could be he is a dud...we just have to wait and see.

What if we trade/cut him. Then on his new team he shows what Dom saw(if he saw anything) and wins a Super Bowl. Then we will all ***** that we should of kept him. Look at Steve Young in Tampa, he sucked. In San Fran, with a good coach and a system(not to mention a true OL and RB) he did just that.
Yeah, I concur. Actually, I think Kubiak is partly to blame for some of Carr's "deficiencies". Kubiak is on record as saying (paraphrasing) "We got to get the ball to AJ more". Carr takes the snap - looks for AJ, passes to AJ. Rinse, lather, repeat. Granted, Carr has been criticized for locking on AJ and he could try to do a better job of disguising the situation.... I've seen him go through progressions before. I've seen him pump fake before. He knows how to do all that stuff - he just doesn't do it enough...

I recall some passing downs later in the year where it was just two wides running routes and the dump off. Tight ends stayed in to block. Frankly, I hope they (Kubiak & Carr) fall out of love with AJ and make an effort to spread the ball around more......
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #15
petedy
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 petedy seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
How can anyone compare the era of the NFL in the late 70s and early 80s to the 2000s is beyond me.

The game has changed so much, the players have changed and speed of the game, the salary cap, and free agency.

I suspect players that were succesful back then wouldn't be successful today, and vice versa. Things have change so much...
Wait a minute I thought the o-line was from the era of the seventies and eighties? Dang I'm wrong again.
petedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #16
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

But one thing that hasn't changed since then or even earlier for that matter and it is that a team's offense only goes as far as their O-Line carries them. No ,atter how talented the WR's, TE's, QB's and RB's are if the O-Line sucks the team is not going to win a championship. It is that simple.
Old 03-01-2007   #17
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

David Carr Is so good he wont be in the trading market for long and we will for sure get a 1st rounder for him if not two unless he aint worth a poop.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

The closest comparison to David Carr is Kyle Boller.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read