Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2007   #1
San Antonio Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 San Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden cover
Default Shotgun...

I was reading a comment in another thread and brought up a thought I had the other day about our offensive formations for the 2006 season. I recall Coach Kubiak saying we could not use the shotgun formation for a reason that he could not mention at the time. This was around mid to late season I believe.

I am assuming he did not use it because opposing defensive coordinators would pick out a glaring weakness in the formation. (I thought Salaam just could not handle the defender with his knees)

Did Kubiak or anyone ever give an explanation as to why post season?

Please just objective feedback.
San Antonio Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #2
texans83
All Pro

Default Re: Shotgun...

yea I thought it was bc of the center, as soon as SM got in their I think the last game they tried it out and it was succesfull.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. They say that Hodgdon had trouble with the snaps in the "shotgun." When McKinney moved back to Center for the last 2 games the problem was solved, and we got 2 wins! I would be very surprised if Hodgdon is back with the Texans this coming season, unless they plan on moving him to Guard. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #4
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Yes. They say that Hodgdon had trouble with the snaps in the "shotgun." When McKinney moved back to Center for the last 2 games the problem was solved, and we got 2 wins! I would be very surprised if Hodgdon is back with the Texans this coming season, unless they plan on moving him to Guard. JMHO!
either that or they solved all his problems, isent he kinda small for a center?
Old 03-01-2007   #5
texans83
All Pro

I would love to pick up that center from USC I think his name is kali or something but he is a bad @$$. He looked really good at the combine but I dont think he will be around in the 2nd round, and I think if we picked him up at 8 it would be a reach.
Old 03-01-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kalil, IIRC. Yeah, he's a mid first rounder, I think.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #7
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Kalil, IIRC.
yea sorry his dad played right?
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
No idea, sorry.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #9
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post

Yeah he did....

Quote:
Frank Kalil (who played center for Arizona after transferring from Arkansas and then professionally with the Buffalo Bills)
http://alexisjones.blogspot.com/2005...yan-kalil.html
Old 03-01-2007   #10
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Yea thought so. But the kid sounded really respectfull and inteligent, we al know how BM feels about those type of players.
Old 03-01-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Carr needs the extra step or two saved to get out of the way of defensive ends and tackles. I think the shotgun should be a Texans staple.
Old 03-01-2007   #12
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Antonio Texan View Post
Did Kubiak or anyone ever give an explanation as to why post season?

Please just objective feedback.
I've heard a few opinions on this, but the one that rang true was that Carr could not handle it. When he looked away to catch the ball, he lost track of the pass rush and/or his receivers.
Of course, Kubiak would never come right out and say this.
Old 03-01-2007   #13
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
I've heard a few opinions on this, but the one that rang true was that Carr could not handle it. When he looked away to catch the ball, he lost track of the pass rush and/or his receivers.
Of course, Kubiak would never come right out and say this.
its easier out of shotgun rather than just droping back so I doubt that IMO
Old 03-01-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Kalil:
I can say yes also. I actually caught an interiview with Kalil at the combine, the other day. Anyway, he talked about how his Dad played in the NFL and finished up in the USFL. He then went into coaching in the NFL and has gotten Kalil ready for this combine.

Sidebar: He also went on to say that his younger but bigger brother nicknamed "the Beast" committed to going to USC.
Old 03-01-2007   #15
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I can say yes also. I actually caught an interiview with Kalil at the combine, the other day. Anyway, he talked about how his Dad played in the NFL and finished up in the USFL. He then went into coaching in the NFL and has gotten Kalil ready for this combine.

Sidebar: He also went on to say that his younger but bigger brother nicknamed "the Beast" committed to going to USC.
Yea good interview...
Old 03-01-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is an interview with Kubiak regarding the shotgun formation. He's not a big fan of it due to the QB taking his eyes off of the defense to make sure he catches the ball. Hopefully someone will remember this interview and post it accordingly.
Old 03-01-2007   #17
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think there is an interview with Kubiak regarding the shotgun formation. He's not a big fan of it due to the QB taking his eyes off of the defense to make sure he catches the ball. Hopefully someone will remember this interview and post it accordingly.
IMO it was Hodgdon that was the problem as DC was mainly a Shotgun QB in college. Honestly I think that was part of the problem with us having pass prot problems. I noticed more than one or 3 sacks DC took over the 5 years from the centers stepping on his feet. Definetly think he would be much better in a spread formation taking the ball in the "Gun" Unfortunately as everyone in the league knows are pass protection was suspect from year 1 and thus a contributing factor to the protection problem this year as well [Ie Salaam/Winston not able to handle big edge rushers]

Last edited by U4ikrob; 03-01-2007 at 03:47 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #18
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob View Post
IMO it was Hodgden that was the problem as DC was mainly a Shotgun QB in college. I noticed more thna one or 3 sacks he took over the years from centers stepping on his feet. Definetly think he would be much better ina spread formation taking the ball in the "Gun" Unofrtuantely as everyone in the league knows are pass protection was suspect from year 1 and thus may be a contributing factor as well [Ie Salaam/Winston not able to handle big edge rushers]
thanks Ive been saying it was DH but itleast some people agree with me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read