Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-01-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AD pulls a VY

In a quote I found on houstonprofootball.com, Adrian Peterson said the Texans would be his dream location.

Texans Top Peterson's List Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson told Sports Illustrated in this week's issue that the Texans topped the list of team for which he would like to play. "Being able to go back to my home state and having my family there would be nice," Peterson said. (February 26, 2007)

Too bad this sort of thing doesn't seem to work out for players
Old 03-01-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: AD pulls a VY

Does that mean we aren't taking him anymore?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3
DarkNinja
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
In a quote I found on houstonprofootball.com, Adrian Peterson said the Texans would be his dream location.

Texans Top Peterson's List Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson told Sports Illustrated in this week's issue that the Texans topped the list of team for which he would like to play. "Being able to go back to my home state and having my family there would be nice," Peterson said. (February 26, 2007)

AD will pull a VY if the FO doesn't pick him by running all over the Texans in a home game against the Texans Defense.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #4
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I don't mean to pick, but I don't see how you equate him saying his family being there would be nice, to that of a dream status.

I think it would surely be a plus, but I don't read "dream location" out of it.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen the posts and heard the about the radio chatter about how all day will put us into the NFL stratusphere. I'm a bit skeptical. The first hurddle you've got to get over is the o-line. They move up for all day...it's going to cost you at least three picks and a swap. Book it. Two high picks this draft and one or two high picks next draft. Now I know you can't compair athletes in different eras but humor me.. In the late seventies...the Oilers tired this. The swaped with Tampa Bay and took Earl Camble. I guess you could make the argument that it was a success in the fact that the Oilers were better able to chase the steelers. On the other hand, if you are just judgeing by the playoff resluts...they never could get over the hump with Earl. I'm not real eager to relive that scenario again. So you do this deal....where are the picks to upgrade the o-line, the d-line the DBs and the QB ? You're saying you're going to upgrade every year with one day one pick and a four day two guys the next two years. Impossible no. Improbable I think so. We may make the deal...I will not be happy about it. Sure way to stay mediocre is to do this deal. he is a great athlete. He is a great person. It's just the right move at the wrong time. We're not ready yet for a franchise back.
Old 03-01-2007   #6
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I've seen the posts and heard the about the radio chatter about how all day will put us into the NFL stratusphere. I'm a bit skeptical. The first hurddle you've got to get over is the o-line. They move up for all day...it's going to cost you at least three picks and a swap. Book it. Two high picks this draft and one or two high picks next draft. Now I know you can't compair athletes in different eras but humor me.. In the late seventies...the Oilers tired this. The swaped with Tampa Bay and took Earl Camble. I guess you could make the argument that it was a success in the fact that the Oilers were better able to chase the steelers. On the other hand, if you are just judgeing by the playoff resluts...they never could get over the hump with Earl. I'm not real eager to relive that scenario again. So you do this deal....where are the picks to upgrade the o-line, the d-line the DBs and the QB ? You're saying you're going to upgrade every year with one day one pick and a four day two guys the next two years. Impossible no. Improbable I think so. We may make the deal...I will not be happy about it. Sure way to stay mediocre is to do this deal. he is a great athlete. He is a great person. It's just the right move at the wrong time. We're not ready yet for a franchise back.
The only problem is I don't think there will be another franchise back at least for a while. This would be the perfect acquisition for us.

1) We are bringing a hometown boy back. People can put alittle faith back in the Texans with the pick.

2)We will finally have someone other than AJ that is a playmaker. Even better being that they are from two different play callings; run and pass.

For a back that really wants to come here, and fitting our system, its a win-win situation for us.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #7
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

It's a more than a little difficult to list to a person discuss Houston football who does not know the name of Earl Campbell not Earl Camble. Earl was rookie of the year and clearly allowed the Oilers to make it into the AFC title game despite weakness at other positions. Hell our playbook consisted of Earl Right, Earl Left and Earl up the middle! IF, now itís a big if, but if our line could stay healthy along with 1 or 3 decent additions this year in the draft/FA a big strong fast back like AP will make several of you offensive issues disappear.
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2007   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear View Post
It's a more than a little difficult to list to a person discuss Houston football who does not know the name of Earl Campbell not Earl Camble. Earl was rookie of the year and clearly allowed the Oilers to make it into the AFC title game despite weakness at other positions. Hell our playbook consisted of Earl Right, Earl Left and Earl up the middle! IF, now it’s a big if, but if our line could stay healthy along with 1 or 3 decent additions this year in the draft/FA a big strong fast back like AP will make several of you offensive issues disappear.
Even with the health concerns we had at OL & RB in 2006, our running backs managed to run for over 100 yards in 9 of 16 games. That's better than the Titans. That's better than the Jets, & I have to check, but I think it's better than the KC Cheifs. Two of those teams were play-off teams, and the Tennessee Titans were threatening.

So if the AFC has a down year in 2007 like they did in 2006, we only have to get a little better than we are right now, to be talking about the playoffs late in December.

AD behind the line that helped Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, & Chris Taylor to 100 yard games just might be that little bit.
Old 03-01-2007   #9
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Not till the front office decides we can get to the superbowl with DDW and decide to pass on AP while giving DDW a 3 year extension because we know he'll come back 100% and will prove the doubters wrong.

In the meantime, Titans trade up and get AP.

.....the board would explode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Does that mean we aren't taking him anymore?
Now that's funny. Wonder if that is the criteria - have no "issues" and you must not mention Texans as a team you'd like to play for, if you want to play for the Texans
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ View Post
Not till the front office decides we can get to the superbowl with DDW and decide to pass on AP while giving DDW a 3 year extension because we know he'll come back 100% and will prove the doubters wrong.

Now that's funny. Wonder if that is the criteria - have no "issues" and you must not mention Texans as a team you'd like to play for, if you want to play for the Texans

very good comment about not mentioning the Texans if you want to play for them. sad, but true.

So, next season Tennessee's going to have VY, AD, Nate Clements. I think we may want to stay home for that one fellas. It won't be pretty.
Old 03-01-2007   #11
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Our biggest hurdle would be teams picking 1-7. If Peterson's there for us at 8, you KNOW we're snatching him up. If we can trade up to get him without selling the farm (i.e. all of our draft picks) then let's get him.

Otherwise, LaRon Landry - Houston Texan.
Old 03-01-2007   #12
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

I still can't figure out who the heck this 'AD' person is in everyone's posts!!

I've been trying to figure it out ALL DAY!

AD and Meachem or Jamal Lewis and Calvin Johnson?
Old 03-01-2007   #13
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAMA View Post
I still can't figure out who the heck this 'AD' person is in everyone's posts!!

I've been trying to figure it out ALL DAY!

AD and Meachem or Jamal Lewis and Calvin Johnson?
AD and Meachem, without a doubt. I think Meachem is going to be a star in this league. AD gets my vote over Jamal Lewis any day.
Old 03-01-2007   #14
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I remember a few years ago when Peterson had a chance to play for a home state team and he passed on it.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ View Post

You left one important piece out.

"In the meantime, Titans trade up with us and get AP."

In addition we get Robaire Smith back and three autographed Vince Young jerseys a year for the next 5 years.
Old 03-01-2007   #16
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

We may have to trade with the Broncos if your scenario plays out
Quote:
Broncos | Broncos might pursue Smith
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:06:12 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Denver Broncos might target free-agent DL Robaire Smith (Titans), for the 2007 season.
(per KFFL) But I digress....
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #17
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros5Texans80 View Post
The only problem is I don't think there will be another franchise back at least for a while. This would be the perfect acquisition for us.
Lynch or Michael Bush could be franchise backs. or Henry from AZ.
Old 03-01-2007   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year the Texans had a shot to draft Vince Young. This year, unless we trade up, Adrian Peterson is probably not going to be available at #8. He can wish to play for the Texans all he wants, but we won't have every player on the board available for us to choose from this year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
AD will pull a VY if the FO doesn't pick him by running all over the Texans in a home game against the Texans Defense.
Kind of hard to pick a player who will be drafted before you get on the clock isn't it? I mean I could be wrong but I guess he could play for two clubs at the same time right?
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #20
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
Lynch or Michael Bush could be franchise backs. or Henry from AZ.
Take Lynch. I've been saying this, and now I'm saying it again.
And the last few posters are right. There is no way AP lasts until the eighth pick in the first round.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read