Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-28-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why are cornerbacks so short?

With WRs becoming progressively taller and faster, do you think we'll start seeing more 6'0+ corners? It must be tough for a 5'10 guy to cover a 6'5 guy, especially when they both run the same speed and have the same vertical capabilities

Last edited by gtexan02; 02-28-2007 at 10:10 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why are cornerbacks so short?

Shorter guys can move and run better...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Shorter guys can move and run better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
backpedal....NFL corners need good hips and the ability to sprint backwards. Its harder to sprint backwards and turn and run smoothly with extremely long legs.
Good points. I guess thats what makes champ bailey so valuable. Elite coverage technique with good size
Old 02-28-2007   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 271715 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
backpedal....NFL corners need good hips and the ability to sprint backwards. Its harder to sprint backwards and turn and run smoothly with extremely long legs.
Why do I have a vision of seeing this same post here 10 years from now?

No offense gtexan--it's just that the logic of big doesn't play near as much of a role as the logic of reaction time and closing speed. There is a huge difference between knowing where you are going and reacting to where someone else is going.
Old 02-28-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Chargers' Antonio Cromartie is 6'4, but I don't know many tall CBs.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I think the Chargers' Antonio Cromartie is 6'4, but I don't know many tall CBs.
He's 6'2". I remember Denver had a corner that was really 6'4''. I think his name is Lenny Walls...
Old 02-28-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 271715 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
He's 6'2". I remember Denver had a corner that was really 6'4''. I think his name is Lenny Walls...
Yup, and he is now a nickel back for KC.
Old 02-28-2007   #8
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I do think it's a legit question why every position seems to get bigger and taller while retaining athleticism while CB seems to stay about the same size. Unless they were 5'6" 160 on average 30 years ago. Wasn't alive back then so its possible..

Or are these guys the ones getting their shot at WR even when they aren't that reliable catching the ball?

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #9
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

I think Vinnie's reply pretty much sums it up...
Old 03-01-2007   #10
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

brandon browner is 6'4 to

is he still on the broncos roster, anyone know?

i remember i wanted the texans to pick him so bad in the 05 draft
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
brandon browner is 6'4 to

is he still on the broncos roster, anyone know?

i remember i wanted the texans to pick him so bad in the 05 draft
Broncos | Browner waived from team
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:43:14 -0700

The Denver Broncos announced SS Brandon Browner has been waived from the team.
Old 03-01-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

jason allen could be moved to corner this year in miami. he's 6'1, 213. cromartie is a big one. this year, you have mccauley. i'd say corners are progressively getting bigger, just like every other position.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #13
bavanlan
Rookie

With the shift in the NFL towards a Cover-2 Shell (and even more so in a Tampa-2 Zone), you see CB's who are either not responsible for WR's downfield or at least get help over the top from a safety downfield. This is why teams are looking more and more into 6'+ safeties (not CB's). Since most jump balls (where height is a advantage) would occur downfield, players who have height are being converted to safety from CB.

DB's who are tall and rangy could still be effective CB's, but putting them at safety would maximize any height advantage they may have.
bavanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #14
GoPats
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 GoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballotGoPats is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Part of this is also where they get slotted/pegged in high school and college. Taller guys are developed as WRs. Shorter guys with the same speed are developed as CBs.
Old 03-01-2007   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

If CB's were taller then they would be wide receivers, thus IMHO, is why CB's are so short.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that TexMexVato has a good point also.

I think coaches see people who are extremely fast, agile and tall and think "Hey this guy would be an awesome WR." Therefore people with that body type are pushed towards the offensive side of the ball. I think there is a bias towards wanting the great offensive weapons.

Correct me if I am wrong but take an awesome athlete like Calvin Johnson, do you not think he could turn and close??
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPats View Post
Part of this is also where they get slotted/pegged in high school and college. Taller guys are developed as WRs. Shorter guys with the same speed are developed as CBs.
There is probably some truth to that. And everyone wants to play offense and get the ball, so more taller guys probably want to play receiver than D
but are more apt to get their wishs than the shorter guys beause of the built in bias in favor of the taller players.
And taller guys don't have just longer legs, but perhaps they are also disproportionatly longer to their bodies. This would tend to restrict their general mobility in such maneuvers as the backpedal as compared to the shorter players.
And taller players make for a bigger target for the paser: more reach, more extenstion, etc.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

great question gtexan,one i was wondering when i was looking at all the cb's height and weights.

Another reason i think is that while the WR needs to be taller..to catch the ball. The CB is successful if he just deflects it. So I think if they can jump a good bit they can just get a hand in there and it'd be fine. If the wr just gets a hand on it...he'll get cut sooner than later. lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

probably if the player had more sie they would move him to WR if he has the speed.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
probably if the player had more sie they would move him to WR if he has the speed.
what is the saying. if a WR can't catch then he plays CB?? or is it if a CB can catch then he plays WR?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read