Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The new regime is grasping for straws?

Trade a 5th for Moulds, have poor QB all year, then turn around and cut him. We don't have depth at WR, and I'm sure some other team would have offered us at least a 7th.

Trade a 7th for Kevin Walter who shows up once a game on 3rd and long, makes his catch, and disapears again.

Cut R Smith and S Payne and now openly list DT as one of our weakest points

Draft Williams and sign Weaver and list DE/pass rush as our one of our biggest flaws

Pass on Leinart, Cutler, and Young and throw all eggs into the D Carr basket, only to shop him for a 4th round pick the following year

Drop Morran Norris for a "pass catching" FB who caught a total of 18 passes last year, meanwhile Norris helps the lowly 49ers completely burst into the running season

Cut Wiegart and openly shop around for another RT

Pay big bucks to Flannagan and then list center as one of our holes

Am I forgetting anyone?? I mean, sheesh, you'd think Capers and Casserly slipped into the coaching staff and started making secret phone calls

Sure some of these players are getting old and expensive, but as long we adopt the "We don't need no stinkin leadership or depth" mentality, we are going to be frustrated for a while..
Old 02-28-2007   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The new regime is grasping for straws?

Maybe the FO intentions are to trade down, acquire multiple draft picks and fill these holes. But what do I know? I'm just a Texans fan with high hopes that 2007 will finally be the year we have a winning season and possibly make the playoffs. Is that too much to ask for?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

This is one of the most interesting thread starting posts I've seen in a long time.

I agree that with all the infusion of new, "more talented" players last year we seem to have just as many holes now as we did then. How did that happen????

I know the injury to Spencer is unpredictable and hurts the plan, but the team now has major needs where they shouldn't after last year's transactions. They have almost no tackles to even consider as starters, they've weakened one group - receiver - that could have gone into camp unchanged, they still worry about rushing the passer, they had about their worst running game ever last year, etc.

They must have a killer plan ready to execute Friday.

I look forward to the theories on this thread...
Old 02-28-2007   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ack I just realized Vinny posted the same thing way before me over in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I'd call it "building" since we would have to be "built" to rebuild I guess....but seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a lot of Kubiak's moves. Last year Kubiak passed on Young and re-upped Carr.....we brought in Weaver and Williams and yet we still need pass rushers...we traded for Gado but Morency clearly outplayed him at GB and Gado looks no better than fodder at this point....Kubiak brought in Moulds but now he is gone...Cook was brought in and benched while Morran Norris is now beloved over at 49erville as Gore was leading the NFC in rushing. We sign Walters to a pretty nice contract (and gave up a 7th round pick) but he was the invisible man last year....Jeb Putzier couldn't hold his job either.

I donno....this team is a mystery to me right now. I'm kinda "eh" on the moves at this point.
Not quite the same, but a lot of similarities. I forgot Gado for Morency....when will the hurting stop
Old 02-28-2007   #5
afcman
Veteran

Why not get Jeff Garcia or Brad Johnson for say a 2 yr deal as the QB starter? Then focus on trying to fix the Capers and Casserly history in the draft and off season.

I can certainly think of worst things to happen.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #6
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Very well put, gtexan02.

It seems like every year we are starting over as an expansion team.

No consistency.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't really know where i stand on the qb isssue. I don't really see a point of getting a veteran quarterback to just play one or two years here. we have that in carr...even if he's not the answer which the majority here would agree...he'd be here the 2 years of his contract and then leave. we have to pay him the $4million of whats left of his bonus...so i say might as well keep him if the next quarterback we're going to get just isnt going to be the answer anyways.

The moulds cut boggles my mind. I just don't get it. He had to of been upset here and asked to be released so he can finish his career on a high note and some place he wants and have fun. Why the heck did we give up a 5th round pick for a one year guy? and it was during rebuilding!

a lot is happening behind closed doors that we have no idea about. We're getting rid of a lot of guys but as of now nobody to replace them.

I expect something big is going to happen in free agency. All this just makes me even more confused on who we're going to draft. Every move they make keeps me saying well...its' clear its going the be levi brown....oh wait...no now its amobi okoye....hmmm no now its brady quinn. What the hecks going on!!!!! it's making me go insane.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2007   #8
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
It seems like every year we are starting over as an expansion team
Well that's why I'm looking forward to this years draft and then this next season. We finally got rid of Capers and Casserly.....maybe the owner finally "got it" and decided to pick it up. As a team though, if the Texans don't show improvement in the next 2 yrs.....well, I don't even want to go there.

I really do think though that Kubs would have made more drastic changes this last season if he'd had the players to put on the field. But he didn't and was forced to make the best of the situation. It has to be a tough gig.
Old 02-28-2007   #9
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
I don't really see a point of getting a veteran quarterback to just play one or two years here.
Well, we know what we have with Carr. And the team needs a spark in a MAJOR way. A veteran QB could provide some much needed leadership. Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcman View Post
Well, we know what we have with Carr. And the team needs a spark in a MAJOR way. A veteran QB could provide some much needed leadership. Just a thought.
Is that potential spark worth his bloated salary and carr's 4 million dollars we would have to pay anyway?

if we go that route, i hope he would bring a lot of experience and leadership that our young guys could take to heart and improve them for years to come.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Trade a 5th for Moulds, have poor QB all year, then turn around and cut him. We don't have depth at WR, and I'm sure some other team would have offered us at least a 7th.

Trade a 7th for Kevin Walter who shows up once a game on 3rd and long, makes his catch, and disapears again.

Cut R Smith and S Payne and now openly list DT as one of our weakest points

Draft Williams and sign Weaver and list DE/pass rush as our one of our biggest flaws

Pass on Leinart, Cutler, and Young and throw all eggs into the D Carr basket, only to shop him for a 4th round pick the following year

Drop Morran Norris for a "pass catching" FB who caught a total of 18 passes last year, meanwhile Norris helps the lowly 49ers completely burst into the running season

Cut Wiegart and openly shop around for another RT

Pay big bucks to Flannagan and then list center as one of our holes

Am I forgetting anyone?? I mean, sheesh, you'd think Capers and Casserly slipped into the coaching staff and started making secret phone calls

Sure some of these players are getting old and expensive, but as long we adopt the "We don't need no stinkin leadership or depth" mentality, we are going to be frustrated for a while..
Excellect summary and a damaging indictment of the first year of personnel
decisions under Kubiak, notwithstanding a brilliant pick in the 'bama backer.
Lest just hope that Rick Smith is more astute in his rookie year !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcman View Post
This is exactly why I liked the Plummer deal if we could have restructured him. I don't think he is our SB savior but he knows the system and has won before...even on a horrible Cards team. He isn't the only one but if you bring in the vet, draft a guy this year or next to learn and keep building, then you are going somewhere. Right now we seem still in neutral with the same talk.

I agree with the author of the thread. Look what happened in that horrible 05 draft and look what we have tried to do since then. I don't see much difference. It is like they are guessing with no plan at times. I also agree with the author and Vinny on the draft. I know we can't fix it now but how can you have the most talented draft, skill wide in years and skip those guys for defense, only to need the same type guys this year and you STILL don't have the game breakers?I'm just shaking my head daily.
Old 02-28-2007   #13
afcman
Veteran

Quote:
Is that potential spark worth his bloated salary and carr's 4 million dollars we would have to pay anyway?
How much money has the team spent in the last 5 yrs only to say we are rebuilding?

Last edited by afcman; 02-28-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2007   #14
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Kubiak is much better at tearing things apart than putting them back together. He seems to think he can cut people and cut people and cut people until we end up with a Superbowl caliber team.

We had no depth when he got here and he's only making it worse. He's been doing that since the day we got him.

What's the point in cutting a guy when you have no one better to replace him?
Old 02-28-2007   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Moulds may have been a bit of a malcontent. He sure didn't get a bunch of balls tossed at him (certainly should have had a lot more when AJ is locked up), but if you remember, he was complaining in Buffalo before he came to us. Could just be a guy who is slipping and trying to deflect some of the blame for low production both here and in Buffalo.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #16
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Maybe the FO intentions are to trade down, acquire multiple draft picks and fill these holes. But what do I know? I'm just a Texans fan with high hopes that 2007 will finally be the year we have a winning season and possibly make the playoffs. Is that too much to ask for?
My guess is, prepare to be 'underwhelmed'. I'm pretty convinced that Casserly's intent was to screw us over before he left town. If you're Bob McNair, why in the world do you let him oversee the 2006 Draft right before he leaves?
Old 02-28-2007   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of these are easy, some are not.

Moulds? Head scratcher to me at the moment. It's possible there was some disgruntle at work and maybe even a request for release.

Walter? Our offense couldn't deliver a forward pass with reliability to our #2 (see above) much less our #3. I don't have a problem with this.

R Smith? Stupid bloated contract from the previous regime for a guy who showed up for two games per year? Bad egg. Necessary move.

S Payne? 32 years old - two massive knee injuries and a big cap number. I completely understand that move.

Draft Williams and sign Weaver and list DE/pass rush as our one of our biggest flaws? Factor in the other DE position being shared by ineffective tweener holdovers from the previous 3-4 regime (one who the previous GM traded away half our draft to get), another 1st round bust from a previous regime (the guy we bypassed DJ and a Pro Bowl to be Jamal Brown to get), and the holes (and dead money) created by Walker, Smith and Payne, and yes, I can see why there is still a weakness there -- and the vast majority of it is not on the current regime.

Pass on Leinart, Cutler, and Young and throw all eggs into the D Carr basket, only to shop him for a 4th round pick the following year? Stupid and inexcusable.

Drop Morran Norris for a "pass catching" FB who caught a total of 18 passes last year, meanwhile Norris helps the lowly 49ers completely burst into the running season? I always liked Moran ... didn't like that one myself.

Cut Wiegart and openly shop around for another RT? 35 years old, high cap number (from the previous regime) and hurt... no brainer

Pay big bucks to Flannagan and then list center as one of our holes? He didn't get 'big bucks'.. 3 yrs 9 million is nothing. It was widely advertised last year that he was being brought in by Sherman as much for his locker room presence than anything. His skills had noticeably diminished prior to last season.

.[/quote]

Last edited by aj.; 02-28-2007 at 07:35 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Moulds may have been a bit of a malcontent. He sure didn't get a bunch of balls tossed at him (certainly should have had a lot more when AJ is locked up), but if you remember, he was complaining in Buffalo before he came to us. Could just be a guy who is slipping and trying to deflect some of the blame for low production both here and in Buffalo.
He caught 57 passes as a wr2....I mean, in this sad sack offense I thought he caught a lot of balls although he was rarely looked at.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Don't forget passing on Reggie Bush and now looking for a playmaker.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie doesn't bother me as much as the other guy. Reggie needs a guy like Deuce to excel. They help each other's game immensely. RB fell into the perfect situation over there. Given the choice of AP or RB, I'd take the Sooner from Palestine.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read