Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2007   #1
jdm12
Rookie

Default Texans Scouts...

This morning about 9 a.m. Lance on SR610 was talking about some inside informaton he had about our scouts. I only heard part of it so I wanted to see if anyone else caught it.

It was something to the tune of, major changes were going to take place with our scouts now that there job at the combine was done.

My cell rang so I did not get to hear the rest.

Did anyone catch it?

J
jdm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Scouts...

I caught it..it was very cryptic and he didn't elaborate much other than saying that some big changes are coming. Bobby Grier, our director of pro scouting was the guy that the Patriots replaced....right before they started drafting well and dominating on the field year in - year out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm12 View Post
This morning about 9 a.m. Lance on SR610 was talking about some inside informaton he had about our scouts. I only heard part of it so I wanted to see if anyone else caught it.

It was something to the tune of, major changes were going to take place with our scouts now that there job at the combine was done.

My cell rang so I did not get to hear the rest.

Did anyone catch it?

J
I heard it too... I just figured he was trying to "create a market" for his dad.
Old 02-28-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I heard it too... I just figured he was trying to "create a market" for his dad.
His Dad is a coach, not a scout. I think he worked for Buffalo last season.

Old 02-28-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I know. It was an attempt at humor... I actually thought he was still with Cleveland though, but you may be correct.
Old 02-28-2007   #6
texan_b
Rookie

his dad works for the steelers now

http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49256/
texan_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

You were correct http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=4592 but it says that he has moved on to Pittsburgh.

*Edit* Sorry texan_b, you beat me to the punch
Old 02-28-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I caught it..it was very cryptic and he didn't elaborate much other than saying that some big changes are coming. Bobby Grier, our director of pro scouting was the guy that the Patriots replaced....right before they started drafting well and dominating on the field year in - year out.
Interesting....

With as much information that the scouting department has to gather for the FO to make decisions, I'd venture that scouts are one of those areas that are often overlooked by the public, but are an integral part of a team.
Old 02-28-2007   #9
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Interesting....

With as much information that the scouting department has to gather for the FO to make decisions, I'd venture that scouts are one of those areas that are often overlooked by the public, but are an integral part of a team.
agree100% scouting is key!!!!
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

That's interesting. I doubt we'll hear a lot about this since scouts are typically low key (and probably like it that way), but I hope McClain or someone on TV/radio tells us more info about this.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Interesting....

As I remember there was not a huge turnover when Smith/Kubiak tookover for the Caper/Casserly duo. Scouts compile information and make recommendations. The issue with the poor overall performance of the Texans in both FA and the draft relates to the quality of information they have been getting from the scouting department. It is doubtful to me that even with poor decision making that the Texans have been gettin information good enough from these guys over a five year period.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
As I remember there was not a huge turnover when Smith/Kubiak tookover for the Caper/Casserly duo. Scouts compile information and make recommendations. The issue with the poor overall performance of the Texans in both FA and the draft relates to the quality of information they have been getting from the scouting department. It is doubtful to me that even with poor decision making that the Texans have been gettin information good enough from these guys over a five year period.
also, Casserly put together the staff...and everything he touched has been crap around here.

Old 02-28-2007   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
also, Casserly put together the staff...and everything he touched has been crap around here.
He's kind of like Midas...except it doesn't turn into gold. More like muddy brown.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that at least 2 if not more of our scouts are in the process of interviews for major promotions to the NFL's head office.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
As I remember there was not a huge turnover when Smith/Kubiak tookover for the Caper/Casserly duo.
The biggest move was Smith bringing in Dale Strahm as the Director of College Scouting last summer. But he didn't have anything to do with last year's draft.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read