Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2007   #1
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It will be a sad offseason

I have hopes that the Texans would make a big splash with a free agent but the more I watch and listen more important but scary use my on head it does not look good. With so many other teams with cap room like 9ers, Tacks,Cards it will be almost null for us to get the top tier free agents. Look for guys like Nike Harper, Cato June type player because other teams are going to way over pay for these guts to the point we will not be compete like on Sundays. What has happened do not answer because we know but that we do not have a roster of stars ans a tight cap space what one pro bowl player and we can not get top tier players it is sad and just shows this will take a few years so please Texans fans hang in there it will get better our owner last name is not Bidwell so there is hope.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It will be a sad offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughnecks View Post
I have hopes that the Texans would make a big splash with a free agent but the more I watch and listen more important but scary use my on head it does not look good. With so many other teams with cap room like 9ers, Tacks,Cards it will be almost null for us to get the top tier free agents. Look for guys like Nike Harper, Cato June type player because other teams are going to way over pay for these guts to the point we will not be compete like on Sundays. What has happened do not answer because we know but that we do not have a roster of stars ans a tight cap space what one pro bowl player and we can not get top tier players it is sad and just shows this will take a few years so please Texans fans hang in there it will get better our owner last name is not Bidwell so there is hope.
Let other teams over pay for talent. We have done that the last five years and look where it has gotten us.

I am content in cutting all the dead weight Cass and company built up over the years and letting our cap settle down while we build through the draft.

We have another good draft like last year, then we can go and spend in FA on players who could push us over the hump.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea I hear ya but we overpay for guys that are 2nd tier guys not guts like Clements or a Briggs( I know not out there to get but you get the point) we over pay for backups.
Old 02-28-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Considering what a great job Smith did during the season of finding off the street talent that could contribute, I'm really not worried if we don't get the top tier guys. I don't think we have the free space to really go after some of these guys. So I'm just hoping that instead of getting the big name, expensive guys, Smith is able to find the right guys that will make us winners.

I have hope.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints brought in a bunch of 2nd tier FA's (aside from Drew Brees) last year and it worked out for them all right.

I would expect the Texans to do the same.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Trying to read this gave me a headache. I think your point was that other teams have more cap space & will outspend Htown. Maybe, maybe not. There are players such as Nate Clemments who might play for Texans as they have homes or family here. It could go that way. We had a pretty good off season last year and had even less $. I think we will land two significant players and remember even back up depth can be important.
Old 02-28-2007   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
Trying to read this gave me a headache.
I gave up before reaching line two
Old 02-28-2007   #8
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Trying to read this gave me a headache. I think your point was that other teams have more cap space & will outspend Htown. Maybe, maybe not. There are players such as Nate Clemments who might play for Texans as they have homes or family here. It could go that way. We had a pretty good off season last year and had even less $. I think we will land two significant players and remember even back up depth can be important.
I dont want to spend the money on Nate Clemments he is going to cost too much, lets let smith find the guys he wants that have to prove something and that plays with heart. I have faith in the staff this year and feel they will make the best decisions for the team to win.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What's wrong with bringing in solid value players?

Look at the Saints, look at the Patriots, and then look at the Redskins who bring in every top player.

We have too many holes on this team to get a top player at more than one position. I would rather have an overall solid team than a team with great players at one position and extremely weak players at others.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #10
Roughnecks
Veteran

I have faith in them but our secondary needs real help not a fill in our o-line well nuff said. and if it to much to read don't respond.
Old 02-28-2007   #11
afcman
Veteran

New coach, and GM........I'm just waiting to see what happens. Then to watch this next season. I want to see improvement. Get rid of this 'we will lose' attitude. We need a spark, someone that's exciting to watch. A leader.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #12
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I dont want to spend the money on Nate Clemments he is going to cost too much, lets let smith find the guys he wants that have to prove something and that plays with heart. I have faith in the staff this year and feel they will make the best decisions for the team to win.
This CB is a proven solid player at a position that would automatically improve the rest of the defense. With him and Dunte, your LBs immediately do not have to stretch as much in coverage allowing for more rushing the passer and controlling the run or short passes to the TE. DROB becomes a better player. Your safeties are no longer left on an island as the CBs can control both sides of the field. This was what Kubes expected from Pbuch last season and did not get. Remember the coach said he was ok with our safeties when the season began. Some players (like Carlos Lee in BB) are in the right spot at the right time and the team over pays. Signing Nate allows a high draft pick to be used for another position. Playing with heart with something to prove is ok, I'd rather have a better player. Sometimes, you have to pay to drive a hot boat rather than a pleasure boat. See my signature.
Old 02-28-2007   #13
texans83
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 texans83 is a Pro Bowlertexans83 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
This CB is a proven solid player at a position that would automatically improve the rest of the defense. With him and Dunte, your LBs immediately do not have to stretch as much in coverage allowing for more rushing the passer and controlling the run or short passes to the TE. DROB becomes a better player. Your safeties are no longer left on an island as the CBs can control both sides of the field. This was what Kubes expected from Pbuch last season and did not get. Remember the coach said he was ok with our safeties when the season began. Some players (like Carlos Lee in BB) are in the right spot at the right time and the team over pays. Signing Nate allows a high draft pick to be used for another position. Playing with heart with something to prove is ok, I'd rather have a better player. Sometimes, you have to pay to drive a hot boat rather than a pleasure boat. See my signature.
I know exactly what he would bring and how it would make out team better but what im saying why not see if smith can find someone who might not be as good but can deff get the job done. That way we can still use some of our cap space to sign OL. It dosent matter how good our Dfense is, but if we dont score we will never win.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this offseason is going to be like baseball's offseason was. A ton of money is going to be thrown at players who don't really deserve it. Average to above-average players are going to get paid as if they were stars. This hurts the Texans since we aren't in the greatest salary cap shape either. We have to improve more through the draft than through free agency.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
What's wrong with bringing in solid value players?
B/C in years past a solid value player costs you 100million over the next three years with a 90million dollar signing bonus.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans83 View Post
I know exactly what he would bring and how it would make out team better but what im saying why not see if smith can find someone who might not be as good but can deff get the job done. That way we can still use some of our cap space to sign OL. It dosent matter how good our Dfense is, but if we dont score we will never win.
Because of exactly what Clemments brings. We do not need other "might not be as good". We have to continue developing "very good" players, especially in such a NEED spot. I never said to disregard the offense. Actually, my draft goes 1st: Peterson who might be there if Oakland & Cleveland go with Russell & Quinn 2nd: Kolb home town boy that gives you a rookie to groom 3: Tony Ugoh LT ranked 51 st in top 100 players. Our pick is 73rd so he'd have to fall. 4th: Sabby Piscitelli S/S that just had an incredible 40 time that might kill my pick as before combine he was rated at 96/100 top players 5: Lewis Leonard DL of Fresno State 6'5" 320. As for as F/A if we could sign NC at $8m we should still have 4-5 million to throw at a free agent LT. Texans are clearing cap as we speak as Seth Payne just got cut today. I am still wavering at picking a qb in draft this year or go with a LT @ 2nd round such as Joe Staley.
Old 02-28-2007   #17
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think this offseason is going to be like baseball's offseason was. A ton of money is going to be thrown at players who don't really deserve it. Average to above-average players are going to get paid as if they were stars. This hurts the Texans since we aren't in the greatest salary cap shape either. We have to improve more through the draft than through free agency.
We need sign only two free agents. C/B and either a LT or a linebacker. I wish sometimes that draft came before free agency but the union would be against that.
Old 02-28-2007   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Let other teams over pay for talent. We have done that the last five years and look where it has gotten us.

I am content in cutting all the dead weight Cass and company built up over the years and letting our cap settle down while we build through the draft.

We have another good draft like last year, then we can go and spend in FA on players who could push us over the hump.

Well said and dead on the money!
Old 02-28-2007   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about sad, but it's definitly been cut happy.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I am content in cutting all the dead weight Cass and company built up over the years and letting our cap settle down while we build through the draft..
I hope they have a knife large enough to cut that much.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read