Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2007   #1
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default not brown, landry, or peterson

the chance that levi brown could go to arizona at 5 is higher than some people think. they really need some OLine help, and this draft is pretty weak. Peterson is almost a lock at #3 to the browns. landry, while being the #1 FS in the draft, could be passed up because he doesnt provide much value at #8and 2 other very good safeties are projected to go in the 2nd (meriweather and griffin).

so if we pass or are unable to draft one of those 3, who would be the pick?
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #2
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: not brown, landry, or peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
the chance that levi brown could go to arizona at 5 is higher than some people think. they really need some OLine help, and this draft is pretty weak. Peterson is almost a lock at #3 to the browns. landry, while being the #1 FS in the draft, could be passed up because he doesnt provide much value at #8and 2 other very good safeties are projected to go in the 2nd (meriweather and griffin).

so if we pass or are unable to draft one of those 3, who would be the pick?

Not a big fan of the "x isn't a value at this spot". If that's the guy you want take him. Specially if Atlanta or SF is looking to take him at their spots.
Old 02-27-2007   #3
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be pretty happy with Okoye or another stud defender but if we don't take Landry (especially after the Buffalo game) I would be a little disappointed.
Old 02-27-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Given your criteria there is a pretty good chance we go DL as that would be BPA.

Maybe whoever is left out of Adams, Anderson, Branch, Okoye.

I would prefer one of the DT's.
Old 02-27-2007   #5
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

I still have some hope that AP will to 8, but as for another player. I'd actually take Quinn. We could use another QB.... But in terms of a player that won't have to be benched from the beginning, I would say Okoye.
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #6
htownfoozball
Veteran

i know that the "value" argument doesnt make a whole lotta sense, but why take a guy in round 1 when you could get similar production in round 2 at the same position?

we could strengthen our DLine with Okoye, Branch, and if Anderson or Adams falls, maybe one of them. i dont really like the idea of putting so many #1 draft picks/big contracts on the line though.

we could take a CB, but none of them are worth an 8th pick either IMO.

there's always Lynch, but i'm really not sold on him being a great RB and I think we could grab someone later.

our best bet would probably be to trade down to GB and maybe pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. i think the area that could really really get a boost would be our linebacking corps, even though they're not a big need. ryans and willis would really help against the run game, which would take pressure off the secondary to support the run, which in turn allows them to focus on covering receivers. people will complain about him being an ILB, but both him and demeco have experience on the outside. you cant ever have too many demecos...why not take him? just an idea.

1-patrick willis LB
2-brandon meriweather/michael griffin FS
2-antonio pittman RB
3-kareem brown DT
4-ryan smith CB
5-mario henderson OT
Old 02-27-2007   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I'd be pretty happy with Okoye or another stud defender but if we don't take Landry (especially after the Buffalo game) I would be a little disappointed.
I just dont think Landry is that big of an impact player to merrit this high of a pick. One thing is for sure, we cant stay with CC Brown, Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons rotating at the saftey spots, but I think that just bringing in an average FS that dosnt make mistakes (or dare I dream of Ken Hamlin) we will be performing some addition by subtraction. Almost all of the impact safties in the league, such as Polumalu and Reed, are SS, meaning they play closer to the line of scrimmage and get to make more plays, while a FS sits deep in coverage. I think that if you compare the impact somone like Gaines Adams or Jammall Andersson would have on this defense (if Arizona goes after Brown one of those two DE's should be there) to the impact Landry would have, I would say that a DE or DT who can get pressure and change the entire offensive scheme to help out Mario is far more significant.

With that said, my vote would go to either Okoye or 1 of the 2 top DE's.
Old 02-27-2007   #8
htownfoozball
Veteran

if we stay at 8 and okoye is the pick, no biggy. id be fine. he could take pressure off mario and we'd finally have a pass rush.

1-amobi okoye DT
2-brandon meriweather/michael griffin FS
3-brandon jackson RB
4-ryan smith CB
5-mario henderson OT
Old 02-27-2007   #9
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did someone say Ken Hamlin???

I like the sound of that.

Only 2 days, 20 hours and 41 minutes till free agency.

Last edited by kiwitexansfan; 02-27-2007 at 02:20 AM. Reason: time correction
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd like the pick of landry too. but if we pick up ken hamlin in free agency that opens up the pick. i'd love to have adams, anderson, or okoye. i, like many, don't think weaver could sustain the whole season at tackle so i'd lean towards okoye. although we may have adams or anderson rated higher.

i'd also love to trade down to pick up pat willis too. only trouble is i doubt he lasts to green bay and doubt green bay would trade up with us.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #11
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

i'd also love to trade down to pick up pat willis too. only trouble is i doubt he lasts to green bay and doubt green bay would trade up with us.[/quote]

I would love to have Willis! I cant imagine how great it would be to have two smart, instinctive LB's back there. For those who dont know he Willis is a Ryans type of LB, he has instincts for the game and heart you just cant teach.
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

if that's the case i'd say take okoye. or brady quinn if he's there.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #13
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
i'd also love to trade down to pick up pat willis too. only trouble is i doubt he lasts to green bay and doubt green bay would trade up with us.
i'm sold on willis. I've watched some of his games, guy is gonna be great. if we could trade down for just a 1st swap and a 3rd to get willis, i'd do it. though, Peterson or levi would be my first choices. course, all depends on what that FA gives us.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #14
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Did someone say Ken Hamlin???

I like the sound of that.

Only 2 days, 20 hours and 41 minutes till free agency.
cant wait, so excited for those first couple days of FA,
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you are going CB early, Revis is talented enough to go #8. Houston is talented enough to go 15ish. Wilson from Maryland is my sleeper CB.
Old 02-27-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
If you are going CB early, Revis is talented enough to go #8. Houston is talented enough to go 15ish. Wilson from Maryland is my sleeper CB.
I hope Revis runs today @ the combine, although I've watched Pitt I really don't remember much that made me stop & think we gotta get this guy (Revis). Houston is close to elite, strong, fast & will battle the WR for the ball. I like Wilson too, 2nd tier just does not have the size or speed but will battle as well, good man on man coverage skills.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #17
htownfoozball
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I hope Revis runs today @ the combine, although I've watched Pitt I really don't remember much that made me stop & think we gotta get this guy (Revis). Houston is close to elite, strong, fast & will battle the WR for the ball. I like Wilson too, 2nd tier just does not have the size or speed but will battle as well, good man on man coverage skills.
did you just say wilson doesnt have the size or speed? i understand the size, because he's 5'9, but the speed? he's gonna be 4.3 today.
Old 02-27-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
did you just say wilson doesnt have the size or speed? i understand the size, because he's 5'9, but the speed? he's gonna be 4.3 today.
I've only watched him play and seen him have problems catching up once beaten, but that was against an elite WR too....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #19
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Calvin Johnson?Is there anyway that this could work?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #20
AtheGreat
Veteran

[/quote] Calvin Johnson?Is there anyway that this could work?[/quote]

sure...and in other news kubiak was fired and casserly was just hired as the texans new head coach.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read