Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-26-2007   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Backlash Against Russell Begins

Quote:
In the minds of many evaluators, including PFW resident draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki, there is a considerable gap between QBs JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn.

The way we hear it, it is Quinn, not Russell, who Nawrocki and a growing contingent of teams think will be the better pro. And perhaps to the surprise of many draft fans, more of the teams we consulted had finished their pre-Combine draft meetings thinking Quinn would be the better pro.

Multiple teams that have begun digging into Russell's background have been turned off by his lazy work habits and immaturity. When he took off his shirt at the Combine weigh-ins and exposed a very soft, fleshy body filled with baby fat, the concerns immediately heightened for one top-10 team that PFW spoke with, revealing what some consider to be the tip of the iceberg.

Much like Vince Young a year ago, whose poor Wonderlic test result was leaked and wound up setting in motion a lot of questions about how far he would fall, the significance of Russell's unshapely physique may be way overblown.

Our sources say Oakland’s Al Davis, who holds the top pick, is still chafed he decided not to take Matt Leinart a year ago and is dead-set on finding a signalcaller of the future to replace the recently released Aaron Brooks, whose option was not exercised after one year with the team.

Davis is widely assumed to favor the more strong-armed Russell, who better fits the vertical offense the Raiders have long run. However, had Davis made the call a year ago, our sources say he would have selected the more cerebral, NFL-ready Leinart, not the more strong-armed Jay Cutler, whom the Broncos traded up to select one pick later.

Said one astute, high-ranking evaluator, whose team has no need for a quarterback, of the draft's top two quarterbacks: “Physically, arm-strength-wise, there is no question who has the advantage. But if you want to talk about mental aptitude, ability to escape pressure and make good decisions, it's not even close. There is a big ‘miss’ factor on Russell. He had a lot of up-and-down games, and he makes a lot of bad decisions. He's sitting in the middle of the second round right now on our board. He'll never make it that far, but that’s where his value is. After Quinn, I would be sweating if I needed a quarterback from the rest of this crop.”

If Davis fails to land a veteran passer such as Houston’s David Carr, who has been thrown on the trading block after his struggles last year, or Byron Leftwich, who may be dealt despite Jack Del Rio’s statement that he is the Jaguars’ starter for 2007, don't be surprised if Quinn, not Russell, winds up becoming the first overall pick. Davis could be among those who are scared off by the red flags surrounding Russell and thus opt for Quinn. That could leave Russell, despite the concerns, falling only, like Young, to the No. 3 spot, where fellow Mobile, Ala., native and Browns GM Phil Savage would be waiting with open arms, the way we hear it.

Sources close to the Browns have even speculated that Savage, who helped advise Russell on his decision to enter the draft, has already informed Russell that he would not fall any further than the spot where the Browns were picking, and that he would be a lock top-four pick.
from PFW
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #2
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Backlash Against Russell Begins

Dear sweet baby Jesus...let the Raiders take Calvin or Quinn and let Cleve-land go with Russell. Please sweet baby Jesus let Peterson fall to the Texans.

Amen.
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

His softness would worry me too. Now he's probably made the rounds on the award circuit so his diet and workout have probably suffered, but knowing that the biggest interview of your life was coming up and not working out hard beforehand?

Wonder what his study habits would be like in the NFL?
Old 02-26-2007   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Dear sweet baby Jesus...let the Raiders take Calvin or Quinn and let Cleve-land go with Russell. Please sweet baby Jesus let Peterson fall to the Texans.

Amen.
It would be about time for the Texans to catch a break.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #5
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Another negative I see with Russell is his arrogance. If you saw him walking around at the combine you would think he owned the place, and he didn't do anything. He acts like he's got the #1 pick in the bag, and isn't that just what the Raiders need... another cocky player.

Good luck Lane Kiffin (a coach younger than alot of players on the team) trying to control the egos of Russell, Moss, & Porter... WOW! No pressure there for the youngest coach in the NFL...
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's Busted Carr View Post
Another negative I see with Russell is his arrogance. If you saw him walking around at the combine you would think he owned the place, and he didn't do anything. He acts like he's got the #1 pick in the bag, and isn't that just what the Raiders need... another cocky player.

Good luck Lane Kiffin (a coach younger than alot of players on the team) trying to control the egos of Russell, Moss, & Porter... WOW! No pressure there for the youngest coach in the NFL...
I noticed he looked pretty arrogant as well...

I don't know if that has any affect on his on field performance though...
Old 02-26-2007   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
His softness would worry me too. Now he's probably made the rounds on the award circuit so his diet and workout have probably suffered, but knowing that the biggest interview of your life was coming up and not working out hard beforehand?

Wonder what his study habits would be like in the NFL?
What awards did he win?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2007   #8
David's Busted Carr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I noticed he looked pretty arrogant as well...

I don't know if that has any affect on his on field performance though...

Well as far as scouting goes that falls under "coachability", something that all teams do take into strong consideration....
David's Busted Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #9
Stros5Texans80
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Stros5Texans80 Send a message via Yahoo to Stros5Texans80

I never really felt for Russell. When you take away his arm, there's not really anything else you could look at that stands out big. I wonder what he got on his Wonderlic....
Stros5Texans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #10
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post

Amen.
Am I on fire?
Old 02-26-2007   #11
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
What awards did he win?
The ESPN hype award...where have you been?
Old 02-26-2007   #12
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
from PFW
Excellent! Best news I've heard today. Quinn goes to Oakland and Russell to Cleveland leaving that scrawny old Adrian Peterson for Mr McNair to make a millionairre. Hooray! We get our franchise back and Bush slowly fades to just another memory.....
Old 02-26-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what i've been thinking. Russell has such a long way to go before he becomes a great quarterback. That was interesting reading that one team has him as a mid second.

He sure has a big upside but with that comes a lot of risk. of all the top ten rated players I have Russell as the biggest bust factor...maybe next to Ginn.

He could be a great fit for oakland with that big arm of his and they need a qb, but that's all it is...a need pick for them...they should go with calvin johnson or even joe thomas. i'd suggest them trading down but that will be very difficult. al davis doesnt want to take a qb or lt again at 1. everyone's been saying he's gonna take russell but that pick is way overvalued for russell.

personally i'd rather quinn than russell for the texans. but russell would intrigue me if he fell to us. i'd just rather us not spend our 1st on a qb.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of winning the big one (or not), Quinn, by my very unofficial count, was 2-8 in the Very Big Ones at Notre Dame: 2-1 versus Michigan, 0-4 against USC, 0-3 in bowl games. Not good. But let's not slay Quinn over it just yet. In those eight losses, Notre Dame allowed 47, 44, 41, 34, 34, 41, 38 and 45 points.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...26/indy/3.html

From Peter King's MMQB. I don't expect Quinn, AP, or Levi Brown to last until the 8th pick, but would love to have any of the three.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

those scores say it all, MT. hard to win those "big games" when your defense allows 40.5 points per game.
Old 02-26-2007   #16
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah go to tell Vince Young that his mental aptitude matters.
Old 02-26-2007   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
Yeah go to tell Vince Young that his mental aptitude matters.
i would but i doubt he'd understand the word "aptitude."
Old 02-26-2007   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i would but i doubt he'd understand the word "aptitude."
Yeah, too bad that the NFL administers spelling tests and physics exams to determine the winner of every game. I heard the Super Bowl is chosen by which team can solve the Good Will Hunting math problem the fastest.
Old 02-26-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

it's also too bad you need to be able to pass the ball to win a super bowl. sucks...
Old 02-26-2007   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
it's also too bad you need to be able to pass the ball to win a super bowl. sucks...
hater...lol

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read