Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2007   #1
htownfoozball
Veteran

Default Should trade with GB

bills make willis available, which might mean they're looking at RB's. Lynch would be available to them at 12. GB is supposed to be looking at Lynch as well. the talent really drops off after AD and Lynch, so unless they're fine with Hunt or Irons or one of the sleeper backs, they should be looking to trade up. i really wouldnt trade down unless peterson was gone and we got at least a 1st and 2nd rounder. thoughts?
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #2
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Default Re: Should trade with GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfoozball View Post
bills make willis available, which might mean they're looking at RB's. Lynch would be available to them at 12. GB is supposed to be looking at Lynch as well. the talent really drops off after AD and Lynch, so unless they're fine with Hunt or Irons or one of the sleeper backs, they should be looking to trade up. i really wouldnt trade down unless peterson was gone and we got at least a 1st and 2nd rounder. thoughts?
WAIT. you mean, there's not an Ohio State DB the Bills could take with their top pick?
Old 02-24-2007   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'd rather just take Lynch. We have never had a back as talented as him and the running game will continue to suffer until we address it with an elite prospect.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #4
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I'd rather just take Lynch. We have never had a back as talented as him and the running game will continue to suffer until we address it with an elite prospect.
In Kubiak's system, the eliteness of the RB doesn't matter. It's all about offensive line protection and attention to detail with respect to proper assignments. Kubiak can take a RB from a D III school and turn him into a star in the zone-blocking scheme.
Old 02-24-2007   #5
Brandyon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
In Kubiak's system, the eliteness of the RB doesn't matter. It's all about offensive line protection and attention to detail with respect to proper assignments. Kubiak can take a RB from a D III school and turn him into a star in the zone-blocking scheme.
He can take a D III back and make him good, but as much as the zone blocking helps runners, there is a huge difference between a Terrell Davis and a Tatum Bell.

A decent RB will make our running game good, but a star will make it easily one of the best.

Not saying we should definately go for a big name RB or anything. Just throwing in my 2 cents
Brandyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats what I have heard too yet we ranked near the bottom in the run game last year.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #7
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Thats what I have heard too yet we ranked near the bottom in the run game last year.
Give him time, last year he was working with guys that were pacified by Dom Capers. Let him get guys like Zach Wiegert off the team and work with a young QB (maybe Colt Brennan next year..or Brady Quinn this year). We'll be competing for the AFC crown soon enough.
Old 02-24-2007   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Is that why we were going to draft Reggie Bush until a week before the draft? Or trade back into the first round to draft DeAngelo Williams? Running back is a major hole on this team and will be filled with a high draft pick this year.
Old 02-24-2007   #9
htownfoozball
Veteran

Thumbs down Re: Should trade with GB

i should clarify the topic, we should THINK about trading with GB. anyhoo, last year we were playing with a dinged up dayne and a rookie RB. we saw what dayne could do when healthy, albeit against below average defenses.

i do think we need a RB, but i dont think we NEED an elite guy. i would be very happy if we drafted brandon jackson from nebraska in the 4th.

1-houston CB
2-staley OT
2-meriweather/griffin/weddle FS
3-brown DT
4-jackson RB
5-harrington LB
6-henderson OT
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

We should just draft a RB and then not have to worry about it for the next 5 years rather than picking up a guy here and a guy there every other game.

We draft Lynch or Peterson and we are set for the next 5 to 6 years barring injury. We wait and then we have to fill it again later in the season or next season. And then we have to worry about it again the season after that, and then the season after that.

Another thing is that I am sick of hearing how Denver does everything. We are not Denver, we are Houston. Kubiak probably had little to no say in who the Broncos went after when he was the Offensive Coordinator so you should not assume that he is going to do everything the way that Shanahan did it.
Old 02-24-2007   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyon View Post
He can take a D III back and make him good, but as much as the zone blocking helps runners, there is a huge difference between a Terrell Davis and a Tatum Bell.
this is becoming an urban legend of major proportions. I challenge anyone to find a quote from the Coach where he said that. Just cause he came from a system that did that, I can't recall a quote where Kubaik said that.
Old 02-24-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wali Lundy looked like the next coming of Emmitt Smith with us last year

That Kubiak or the Denver scheme can make any running back a productive one is pure BS. I'm sure Clinton Portis was just some nobody while he was in Denver. Same with Terrell Davis. You need quality at the RB position and we don't have that. We have guys who are good backups, but if Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Samkon Gado, and Chris Taylor are all vying for significant playing time last year, chances are better than 50-50 that our running game will suck again.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #13
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
this is becoming an urban legend of major proportions. I challenge anyone to find a quote from the Coach where he said that. Just cause he came from a system that did that, I can't recall a quote where Kubaik said that.
It isn't a direct quote from Gary, but just look at the past. He did it with Mike Anderson, and now Anderson is struggling WITHOUT Kubiak in Baltimore. If given the opportunity, Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor could have the Texans running game among the best in the league. Who cares about their low (or undrafted) draft status?! Do you wonder why RB is THE easiest position for a player to make a jump from college to the pros? That goes doubly true for a back in Kubiak's system.
Old 02-24-2007   #14
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I agree. Unfortunately there are some here who still think running back by committee is the only way to go...
Old 02-24-2007   #15
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Horse hockey!
Old 02-24-2007   #16
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState View Post
Horse hockey!
Look at Mike Anderson...and more recently...Mike Bell. Granted, Gary wasn't there. But, it was undoubtedly his system they were running.
Old 02-24-2007   #17
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Look at Mike Anderson...and more recently...Mike Bell. Granted, Gary wasn't there. But, it was undoubtedly his system they were running.

Look at Lundy, Dayne, et al... Not buying the theory. Sorry...
Old 02-24-2007   #18
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarState View Post

Look at Lundy, Dayne, et al... Not buying the theory. Sorry...
Obviously, Adrian Peterson looks like a stud on gameday, and more recently, at the combine. He would give us that much more of a boost. If Taylor and Lundy..and Dayne don't work out this year, I like the idea of taking Ray Rice next year.
Old 02-24-2007   #19
LoneStarState
Veteran

Quote:
Obviously, Adrian Peterson looks like a stud on gameday, and more recently, at the combine. He would give us that much more of a boost. If Taylor and Lundy..and Dayne don't work out this year, I like the idea of taking Ray Rice next year.
Unfortunately - I don't think Peterson will be there at 8. Wish we could Calvin Johnson, too... too bad we won 6 games this year!
Old 02-24-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It isn't a direct quote from Gary, but just look at the past. He did it with Mike Anderson, and now Anderson is struggling WITHOUT Kubiak in Baltimore. If given the opportunity, Wali Lundy and Chris Taylor could have the Texans running game among the best in the league. Who cares about their low (or undrafted) draft status?! Do you wonder why RB is THE easiest position for a player to make a jump from college to the pros? That goes doubly true for a back in Kubiak's system.
Yeah I mean the bottom line with this offense is your asking the guy to make one cut to give the line time to create a hole and then hit the hole quickly after the one cut. Now the problem last year....he could of cut till Jesus came back and there still would have been a hole developed. I don't see how spending thirty or forty million on a guy will help that out. Some do, we'll see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read