Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2007   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Draft

here is one possible scenero I think would be prudent to explore for the Texans if things work out come draft day. this is a trade down based upon Adrian Peterson being available to the Texans. I know this is not going to be a popular move, kinda follows along with recent drafts & 1st rd. picks of the Texans but improves the team in the long run twofold. trade the 8th pick to New England for their two #1's (24 & 28). I've targeted two players who will be available with those picks but who will not be available if our picks remain status quo. not only are they a package deal, they will be the Center & QB for the Texans future working together, developing the chemistry so important to winning from their respective positions.

24. Ryan Kalil, Center USC
28. Kevin Kolb, QB Houston
39. Chris Houston, CB Arkansas
73. Brandon Mebane, DT Cal
104. James Martin, OT Boston College
135. Gary Russell, RB Minnesota
169. Justin Hickman, OLB UCLA
200. Kevin Boss, TE Western Oregon

go ahead....take your best

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #2
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Draft

I can understand trading down to get more pieces but I can't understand the Kolb pick on a number of levels.

Firstly isn't that an enormous reach I've not seen him in the first round anywhere before this projection.

Secondly, isn't there a general consensus Kolb doesn't fit the system?

I would accept this trade but take someone other than Kolb. Maybe a FS if one was value here. I've seen Griffin projected low first round.
Old 02-24-2007   #3
htownfoozball
Veteran

you're taking kevin kolb with a 1st rounder?

if kolb is a 1st rounder, houston will be in the 1st round as well.

i dont see why you would take kalil with the 1st when he'd be there at 28 as well.

im just flabbergasted as to why you would spend a 1st rounder on kolb when he isnt even close to being a starter within the next 2 years. i could understand a 3rd...but a 1st?
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
here is one possible scenero I think would be prudent to explore for the Texans if things work out come draft day. this is a trade down based upon Adrian Peterson being available to the Texans. I know this is not going to be a popular move, kinda follows along with recent drafts & 1st rd. picks of the Texans but improves the team in the long run twofold. trade the 8th pick to New England for their two #1's (24 & 28). I've targeted two players who will be available with those picks but who will not be available if our picks remain status quo. not only are they a package deal, they will be the Center & QB for the Texans future working together, developing the chemistry so important to winning from their respective positions.

Again, why would New England trade both of their first round picks to draft Adrian Peterson when they just drafted Laurence Maroney last year in the first round?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #5
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Don't understand the Kolb pick the in the first either. I think Houston might slip into the first round too with a good combine or pro day. I like the Mebane pick and Gary Russell would be a solid pick as well.

I prefer us to stay at the 8 spot and get Levi Brown and HOPE that Kalil falls to us in the second and RUSH to the podium with that pick. Be nice if Blaylock fell to us in the 2nd too. IF we can't adress the Oline in the second i am hoping the FO does the right thing even with all the character issues in the past selects Merriweather. The guy has the versaility to vastly improve the secondary and i think it'd be so sweet to sign Hamlin away from the 'Hawks and have him and Merriweather back there. If that we the case i'd be fine with Petey starting even. Scary i know.

Edit. Would NE be interested more in trading up for Alan Branch?
Old 02-24-2007   #6
amazingandre
All Pro

after today kalil will be a first rd pick no doubt.....kolb is a reach unless he comes out banging tomorrow....ne wont trade both picks
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #7
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15717 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Hmmmm....., I'd love to trade down for both of NE's #1 picks, but I don't think they'll do it with Maroney on board.

However, along the lines of trading down (assuming Peterson is available at #8), I'd give the Jets a call & see if they'd be willing to give up their 1st round pick (#25) & their two 2nd round picks #37 (from Washington) & #59.

Since this is all just for fun, I'm going to assume they would accept the deal. Having already signed Hamlin (FS) & Chris Perry (RB) in free agency, I'd go to work on my draft.

1) Chris Houston (CB)
2a) Joe Staley (OT)
2b) Sidney Rice (WR) (if he drops this far) or Ryan Kalil (C), or Justin Blaylock (OG/OT) or Ben Grubbs (OG) (someone always drops unexpectedly)
2c) Ikaika Alam-Francis (DE)
3) Trent Edwards (QB)
4) Paul Williams (WR) (if I didn't pick Rice at #39) or Desmond Bishop (ILB/OLB)
5) John Wendling (SS/FS) or Michael Johnson (SS/FS) or Juwan Simpson (OLB)
6) DeShawn Wynn (RB)
7) Keith Jackson (DT)

The Texan Question Marks
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2007   #8
amazingandre
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Hmmmm....., I'd love to trade down for both of NE's #1 picks, but I don't think they'll do it with Maroney on board.

However, along the lines of trading down (assuming Peterson is available at #8), I'd give the Jets a call & see if they'd be willing to give up their 1st round pick (#25) & their two 2nd round picks #37 (from Washington) & #59.

Since this is all just for fun, I'm going to assume they would accept the deal. Having already signed Hamlin (FS) & Chris Perry (RB) in free agency, I'd go to work on my draft.

1) Chris Houston (CB)
2a) Joe Staley (OT)
2b) Sidney Rice (WR) (if he drops this far) or Ryan Kalil (C), or Justin Blaylock (OG/OT) or Ben Grubbs (OG) (someone always drops unexpectedly)
2c) Ikaika Alam-Francis (DE)
3) Trent Edwards (QB)
4) Paul Williams (WR) (if I didn't pick Rice at #39) or Desmond Bishop (ILB/OLB)
5) John Wendling (SS/FS) or Michael Johnson (SS/FS) or Juwan Simpson (OLB)
6) DeShawn Wynn (RB)
7) Keith Jackson (DT)

i like except id want smith in the 3rd if there at qb instead of edwards.....or even kold not edwards....but maybe he will surprise me at the combine tomorrow
Old 02-24-2007   #9
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

NE would not want to trade up to #8 for Peterson. They have Maroney. Now, there is one player on our roster for whom I believe NE would give AT LEAST their #24 and #28: AJ. I'm still not pulling the trigger on that one, though.

No way Kalil is on the board at 39 (2.07). I would LOVE it to be so, but ain't gonna happen, not with the 6 teams ahead of us in the 2nd. Heck, Kalil probably goes late round 1. Just my gut.

I wish I had NFL Network. sigh...
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #10
htownfoozball
Veteran

if we were to trade down and get those picks heres my take (also assuming we sign an OL in FA like the guys in the pen are speculating)

1- houston CB
1- griffin FS
2- abiamiri DE
3- brown DT
4- jackson RB
5- harrington LB
6- frye OT
Old 02-24-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

when I get some time this evening will respond to clarify my picks. gotta do some honeydo's if ya know what I mean just think about it! you either subcribe to taking the bpa or you target for need. whos to say in the end that both don't meet those critera

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-24-2007   #12
htownfoozball
Veteran

kolb is not the bpa at 28. and we dont need a QB to sit on the bench for the next 2 years.

even if he were the BPA and fit a need, i dont see why you would use a 1st on him when he's projected as a 3rd-4th rounder with a 2nd round ceiling.
Old 02-24-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

OK. One thing about it hottoddie's puts some tallent on the rooster in one draft. I'm not a big fan of Rice's. I think he's going to get exposed tomorrow running the guantlet. I don't know for a fact, we'll see. Rathers, pick one of the speedsters Higgins or Davis or the LB there. I'm not a big fan of Kolb. He's not a gym rat for sure. If he's let that go...what else ?
Old 02-24-2007   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, here would be my ideal first day for the Texans in the draft.
-Cleveland selects Peterson.
-Marshawn Lynch blows everybody away at the combine and all the talking heads have us taking him at 8.

-We trade our #8 pick (1400 pts) and our 5th rd pick (38 pts)
to Green Bay so they can take Lynch for their 1st (1000pts) and 2nd (420 pts)

We then trade our Green Bay's 2nd rd (420pts) and our 3rd rd (230pts)
to New England for the 28th pick (660pts ..(their 2nd 1st rd-which could be likely))

That leaves us with these 1st day picks and selections:
1st Rd-Pick #16- LEVI BROWN LT PENN ST.
1st Rd-Pick #28- RYAN KALIL C USC

2nd Rd-Pick #39?- Best secondary available (Aaron Ross, Chris Houston, Daymion Hughes, Michael Griffin) whoever is available.

That leaves us with the same amount of picks on the 1st day, and addressing our two biggest needs on the team. Offensive Line and Defensive Secondary.

If Kubiak and Smith pull that off...I will call them Draft Geniuses of the Year. I also feel those players should be available at those spots?..
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #15
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
-Marshawn Lynch blows everybody away at the combine and all the talking heads have us taking him at 8.

to New England for the 28th pick (660pts ..(their 2nd 1st rd-which could be likely))

2nd Rd-Pick #39?- Best secondary available (Aaron Ross, Chris Houston, Daymion Hughes, Michael Griffin) whoever is available.

That leaves us with the same amount of picks on the 1st day, and addressing our two biggest needs on the team. Offensive Line and Defensive Secondary.

If Kubiak and Smith pull that off...I will call them Draft Geniuses of the Year. I also feel those players should be available at those spots?..
I like it, but you forgot Meriweather for our choices in the 2nd.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

You have my vote.

I'll give you a call when I own my first NFL franchise.
Old 02-24-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't include meriweather because of our franchise. He would definitly be an outstanding player but i was trying to make our picks as realistic as possible. With his character concerns i doubt our buddy bob would pull the trigger.

but then again aaron ross and michael griffin are from ut so that automatically disqualifies him right!?..according to my reasoning.

so lets' say chris houston but he could go in the 1st so....

daymien hughes cb cal is the pick. lol
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

let me first go on record before the combine begins tomorrow that Kevin Kolb will turn some NFL heads. that his stock will rise & not only will have moved himself into a solid 2nd rd. prospect but depending on what else happens between now, the draft and free agency a potential late 1st rd. pick. I'm basing this scenero on that fact, if this comes to be true it will be too late when the Texans select again @ #39 to draft him (if in fact he is their man). so what do you do now? whos your future QB?

maybe I listen too much to 610 talk radio but if there is one thing that seems to be a consensus is that David Carr has played his last down as a Houston Texan. can we all agree with that here on this board? so lets trust their inside information/opinioin on this one and just move forward, please...let it go. so...if Kubiak beleives that Kolb is his guy to secure him by jumping ahead of other teams is worth a little higher draft grade than his outright measureables indicate.

secondly much has been posted, said, reported since the Rose Bowl even when Kalil stoned Alan Branch that he is a top flight Center for a ZBS. I don't think its a question anymore if Ryan is a 1st rd. pick its more like how high of a first rd. pick & thats why I had the Texans using the 24th pick to ensure they drafted him. combine him with his future signal caller in one fell swoop increases the chances of success, success that I'm sorry David Carr never enjoyed as a Texan, as if his failure was unavoidable, twisted by fate & poor general managers mis-handling.

so before all you red blooded, impulsive Texans fans emplode @ this very thought think it through & realize what you could be getting in return for the 8th overall pick in the draft- your new franchise QB with his starting future pro-bowl center. bpa maybe not best move possible (bmp) under the delicate circumstances maybe so

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-24-2007   #19
amazingandre
All Pro

well if carr is gone as u say....ill play along by the way......then why not get brady if available or even smith in the 3rd????i dont think kolb is ready to start and i dont think sage is good....so we suffer through another crap season to wait for kolb..or have a few bad games and have smith or quinn start right away?
Old 02-24-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well DC is gone and all of that...Kolb I don't think will be ready inside of two years. I think under your scenario...three years from now we're in the same boat looking for QBs to run the offense....AFTER an Elite class has come off the board. I don't think Kevin Kolb has the skill set to run a Denver scheme. I think lance is putting two and two together but forgetting what Kubiak demands from his QBs in this system. They must be able to throw from the run. Must mind you. Kolb cannot do that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read