Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2007   #101
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Show your support for David Carr here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I had a response typed up, but I realized it has been posted here ad nauseum. Much like politics, you'll believe what you want to believe no matter the argument.

Go Texans!

I'd like to hear it since no one can explain it. I haven't seen it yet. What does Carr have that other picks I've seen come and go since the 1970s don't..where he deserves so much money despite his performance. People have already shown that an O-line alone does not make a QB bad. Also, if you read my posts, they are usually grounded in football alone and there is nothing personal. Just because I want Carr gone doesn't mean I haven't seen the other side and don't listen. It has just gotten to the point right now where the other side is nothing more than...."give him one more chance and spend more money to bring others in to make up for him being average." If someone can rationally tell me why it makes sense to continue putting off the team moving forward, go for it. I'll do my best to respond in kind.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-24-2007 at 06:30 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #102
the flash
Rookie

I will have Carr's back as long as he wears a Texan Jersey and represents the Texans with the same class he always has. In my opinion, he hasn't had a fair shot at performing to the best of his ability because of our O-line, coaches, and running backs. Give him what he needs to succeed (stability and less pressure) and I believe he will. The problem with a lot of the people who hate Carr is that they expect him to be a Vince Young or a Michael Vick (who have great mobility and can run for a lot of yards). That is not the kind of qb David is. He has made mistakes but so have others on this team.

A big reason that a lot of people want Plummer is because he is something new. As soon as he starts messing up we will see a million threads against him and that many for him. It is a never ending cycle.
Old 02-24-2007   #103
quicksilver
Overweight

I'm not married to either side of the Keep Carr/Get Rid of Carr issue, but we HAVE to build a stronger O-line. Pick any QB you want--Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Payton Manning, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton--I don't care, until we solidify the O-line, we're not going to have success on offense.

The line progressed last season, but we don't have all the pieces yet and the injuries on the line were brutal. We need to get the missing pieces, establish depth, and continue to develop our linemen in this system.

I think in this draft we have to get an OT and a C.

Last edited by quicksilver; 02-24-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typos
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007   #104
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontexansfan111 View Post
The problem with a lot of the people who hate Carr is that they expect him to be a Vince Young or a Michael Vick (who have great mobility and can run for a lot of yards). That is not the kind of qb David is. He has made mistakes but so have others on this team.
Just for the record, I'd much rather have David on this team than Vick.
Old 02-25-2007   #105
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will have Carr's back as long as he wears a Texan Jersey and represents the Texans with the same class he always has. In my opinion, he hasn't had a fair shot at performing to the best of his ability because of our O-line, coaches, and running backs. Give him what he needs to succeed (stability and less pressure) and I believe he will. The problem with a lot of the people who hate Carr is that they expect him to be a Vince Young or a Michael Vick (who have great mobility and can run for a lot of yards). That is not the kind of qb David is. He has made mistakes but so have others on this team.

A big reason that a lot of people want Plummer is because he is something new. As soon as he starts messing up we will see a million threads against him and that many for him. It is a never ending cycle.
That is the problem many of us have...it is the NFL and the league isn't fair...you can't say that you need to sit and wait until you have the perfect line and this ultimate "plastic bubble" for a QB to operate. That is called practice. You say stability when the team wants consistency. If having a guy with prototype QB skills was a prereq for waiting to be surrounded by the perfect people then Ryan Leaf and a ton of others would be standing in line still waiting.
Old 02-25-2007   #106
the flash
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
That is the problem many of us have...it is the NFL and the league isn't fair...you can't say that you need to sit and wait until you have the perfect line and this ultimate "plastic bubble" for a QB to operate. That is called practice. You say stability when the team wants consistency. If having a guy with prototype QB skills was a prereq for waiting to be surrounded by the perfect people then Ryan Leaf and a ton of others would be standing in line still waiting.
For this I give you the following quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
we HAVE to build a stronger O-line. Pick any QB you want--Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Payton Manning, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton--I don't care, until we solidify the O-line, we're not going to have success on offense.
Doesn't matter how great the QB is if you don't protect him then you don't give him time to make the big plays that are needed. I'm not asking for the perfect O-line, just one that can pass and run block so that we can be consistent and not one-sided (or no-sided).
Old 02-25-2007   #107
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not asking for the perfect O-line, just one that can pass and run block so that we can be consistent and not one-sided (or no-sided).
OK. Bam. You had that last year. Now what do you need?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2007   #108
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Doesn't matter how great the QB is if you don't protect him then you don't give him time to make the big plays that are needed. I'm not asking for the perfect O-line, just one that can pass and run block so that we can be consistent and not one-sided (or no-sided).
The point is that some QBs can perform with less. Tom Brady did when he won his first SuperBowl. The sacks didn't stop when he replaced Bledsoe, Brady was still sacked 49 times that year. But he was able to win games when Bledsoe wasn't. Same team...

Romo this year, was able to do more with the same Dallas offensive line, that Bledsoe struggled behind.

Harrington took Miami on a 4 game winning streak shortly after replacing their inept QB.

After going 0-5 to start the season, the Tennessee Titans went 8-3 after changing their QB.

Nobody cares why you can't produce in this league. You either do, or you don't, and we move on.
Old 02-25-2007   #109
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The point is that some QBs can perform with less. Tom Brady did when he won his first SuperBowl. The sacks didn't stop when he replaced Bledsoe, Brady was still sacked 49 times that year. But he was able to win games when Bledsoe wasn't. Same team...

Romo this year, was able to do more with the same Dallas offensive line, that Bledsoe struggled behind.

Harrington took Miami on a 4 game winning streak shortly after replacing their inept QB.

After going 0-5 to start the season, the Tennessee Titans went 8-3 after changing their QB.

Nobody cares why you can't produce in this league. You either do, or you don't, and we move on.
Beat me to it again TK.
Old 02-25-2007   #110
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:

Is that all.. I'd also like a QB that can move in the pocket and buy himself an extra second or two instead of the line being blamed. All of the QBs you named did that...especially Staubach and Tarkenton, two of the better scramblers in league history. Then you named two of the QBs with the quickest releases..Marino and Manning. There was more than line that had to do with their success. Plus this year was a perfect example of what can happen. Lets say our line was set for more success and the injuries ruined that..well injuries are part of the league yearly..that's why I want a guy to elevate his game instead of us going in the tank. Guys that can buy that second do that.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 02-25-2007 at 09:39 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #111
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Flame:

Link: Warning Lame "Houston Has a Problem" headline.

I think this fairly represents the national view of the Texans situation as it relates to the QB position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I don't know about that. Most I talk to, whether it be family and friends here, in Dallas or those that are in football to some extent or another always seem to say the same thing..."how does that guy keep geeting shots." Most national talk I hear is that the guy and the line have their equal problems and a new start will benefit all. I also don't trust many opinions that don't watch the games consistently. Seeing highlights of a guy getting sacked alot and then the final score isn't showing the real story.
Most people I know around Houston that don't come here or don't use message boards have almost universal disdain for Carr. The only real place I see support for his game is from his friends and family here on a few message boards and in the National media (who doesn't do much more than scan stat lines)....I've lived all over the Nation and most of my friends in other cities think that Carr is some sort of expansion victim though, so I think he gets the benefit of the doubt outside of Houston...but they don't see any of our games, so go figure. I rarely run into anyone here in town who thinks Carr is a victim here and most people I talk to think the Texans FO has been a joke ever since they re-signed Carr for 3 more years last season. I hate to say that since I love the NFL and support our FO as much as I do...but bottom line is I honestly hear very little support for Carr in my casual encounters and almost universally people think the Texans are a laughing stock franchise right now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #112
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Flame:

Link: Warning Lame "Houston Has a Problem" headline.

I think this fairly represents the national view of the Texans situation as it relates to the QB position.
I agree - this is mainly what I continue hearing from national media and national football fans. And that makes sense, because the conclusion is drawn based on core QB statistics.
Old 02-25-2007   #113
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Most people I know around Houston that don't come here or don't use message boards have almost universal disdain for Carr. The only real place I see support for his game is from his friends and family here on a few message boards and in the National media (who doesn't do much more than scan stat lines)....I've lived all over the Nation and most of my friends in other cities think that Carr is some sort of expansion victim though, so I think he gets the benefit of the doubt outside of Houston...but they don't see any of our games, so go figure. I rarely run into anyone here in town who thinks Carr is a victim here and most people I talk to think the Texans FO has been a joke ever since they re-signed Carr for 3 more years last season. I hate to say that since I love the NFL and support our FO as much as I do...but bottom line is I honestly hear very little support for Carr in my casual encounters and almost universally people think the Texans are a laughing stock franchise right now.
Agree Vinny. You read the Sports Guy on ESPN.com or see many of the writers and it is one big joke to them. I don't talk to many people whose first reaction isn't "that guy stinks."
Old 02-25-2007   #114
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of you people are in the wrong thread. You need to click on the "disdain" thread.

Yep, I'll support Carr if he's back just like I will support the other 21 guys. With upgrades in the O-line, it would be interesting to see how he does in a 2nd year under Kubiak...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #115
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Just posted as Anonymous...hopefully the writer of that article reads it.

Honestly...it's like me trying to sell a house without even seeing it yet.

But I suppose when you talk crap about the Texans you get some "funny points" and sometimes that can substitute for "accuracy points".
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #116
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Show your support for David Carr here

Sure Carr didn't turn out like everyone hoped and its best that he and the Texans probably take a fresh approach and start. Most people knew that the Capers regime ruined him. But not me. DC IS a great QB, and I stand behind my word. He'll be here next year and he'll be starting.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #117
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
see what I mean. with fans like that would you want to give up body for the team. showing a jock strap that is on the IQ level of a cowboy fan.
Quite frankly, when I saw my IQ level, it surprised the the heck out me. As far as the zeal about David Carr, great! Some ticketholders think they are getting the best value for their money, while others don't. I think that the two can find a happy medium minus the f bombs.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #118
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

I think it would help David Carr to stay with the Texans as a backup QB

(Note: I'm neither for or against Carr at this stage)

Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007   #119
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
2 fumbles, both lost, one returned for a TD. 1 interception is all I remember. The score was 14-3 Tennessee when he left the game at the beginning of the third Qtr, we lost 28-22, with Sage playing for basically a whole half. If AJ would have caught that ball that bounced off his shoulder pads into Pacman's (whom he clearly had beat) hands, we still could have won that game.
See everyone always brings up how sage almost came back in the Tenn. game and won with the same players. No one ever mentions the second time we played the jags and carr got hurt. Sage came in at the 4th quarter, he was 1/3 9yds and had a sack. So if your goin to use stats from the Tenn. game im gonna use stats from the jags game seems fair right? all im saying is its an unfair comparison unless you talk about all game rather than just the good ones. Just to also point out, if anyones interested that second jags game, go back and watch carr and how he handles the entire game, he did wonderful in my opinion. just spectacular so yes i acknowlege hes had bad games but i will be the first to point out his good ones. just my 2 cents
Old 02-25-2007   #120
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTexanFan16 View Post
See everyone always brings up how sage almost came back in the Tenn. game and won with the same players. No one ever mentions the second time we played the jags and carr got hurt. Sage came in at the 4th quarter, he was 1/3 9yds and had a sack. So if your goin to use stats from the Tenn. game im gonna use stats from the jags game seems fair right? all im saying is its an unfair comparison unless you talk about all game rather than just the good ones. Just to also point out, if anyones interested that second jags game, go back and watch carr and how he handles the entire game, he did wonderful in my opinion. just spectacular so yes i acknowlege hes had bad games but i will be the first to point out his good ones. just my 2 cents

OK, and I'd say that isn't enough to make any comment on. Those aren't even stats I'd think about. I don't think he is the answer. He just showed alot in the way he played when he got a chance. The problem some are having, including coaching I believe, is consistency.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read