Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2007   #1
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Default Chron : Carr still in Texans 07 plans .... sort of

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4575330.html

More fuel for the fire. Its clear that the Texans brass are shopping DC, but only for the right price it seems. If nothing else it sounds like they realize the value in hand, but on the other hand it sounds like they are also actively seeking a deal too.

[quote]
Quote:
Feb. 23, 2007, 12:28AM
Carr still in Texans' '07 plans ... sort of
GM considers QB the starter but won't pass on deal

David Carr remains the Texans' starting quarterback, but GM Rick Smith made it clear Thursday that the team will do whatever it takes to improve before next season. And that includes trading the five-year veteran if the right deal comes along.

INDIANAPOLIS - Texans general manage Rick Smith said David Carr is the Texans starting quarterback, but he put an unsolicited qualifier onto those statements ... for now.

"Right now? Yes. He is our starting quarterback, and we're excited about him improving in this offense," Smith said Thursday at the NFL draft combine.

But does "right now" infer that he is going to be traded?

"That's the truth," Smith said. "I'm saying that that is a possibility.

"Stars have to line up correctly and the value has to be there, but we're going to improve our football team anyway that we can do so.

"If that includes some type of trade, then we'll entertain that. That does not mean that we're going to do that absolutely, but we'll entertain it. If I'm saying right now and you draw an inference (that Carr might be traded) from that, then you are correct."
Old 02-23-2007   #2
ROCKY
Rookie

Default Re: Chron : Carr still in Texans 07 plans .... sort of

I know alot of people are all about "get rid of DC for whatever price". But I am glad that Rick is being smart about it. The QB position is a problem, no doubt, but it's not our biggest problem. David has proven that he can at least manage a game, and with an improved defense & OL, I think we will win regardless.

Our FA money is better spent on UPGRADING the team. Plummer is a sideways move. Use that money on the run game, OL, and D.

Do that and we'll win baby!!!

ROCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob View Post
Kubiak, who is starting his second year as the head coach, is not concerned that Carr's confidence might take a hit due to the uncertainty.

"If you're going to play in this league, especially if you're going to play quarterback, you got to have some tough skin," Kubiak said. "If you're going to be a great quarterback in this league and be one of the top five in this league, you're there every week and playing well every week.

"It's about consistency with David, and it's my job to get him there."

Kubiak was asked if he thought Carr was capable of being among the top five quarterbacks in the game.

"I think he has the ability to do that," Kubiak said. "He is a very skilled young man, a very smart young man. But it is about consistency.

"That's my job to figure that out and find that consistency in him as a quarterback because our team was inconsistent. The more consistent I can get him, I think our team will become more consistent."
I do not belive a word he is saying in this article. This sounds more like a HS football coach than a NFL one. Carr is a five year pro and Kubiak has 52 other players to coach, many who contributed a lot more to our incremental gains in the win column last year while making less money.
Old 02-23-2007   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

People in SD were ready to run Drew Brees out of town before he "figured it out". I for one hope that if Carr is still here, we see a similar situation.
Old 02-23-2007   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
People in SD were ready to run Drew Brees out of town before he "figured it out". I for one hope that if Carr is still here, we see a similar situation.
Not even close to similar situations from a production and contract standpoint.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235197
Old 02-23-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I do not belive a word he is saying in this article. This sounds more like a HS football coach than a NFL one. Carr is a five year pro and Kubiak has 52 other players to coach, many who contributed a lot more to our incremental gains in the win column last year while making less money.
What he says is true. Most of the talent around the league is largely a push. The difference in a team that can compete at a .500 or better level is the team that has a QB that can make a play on 3rd down so that they can keep all their efforts alive. The difference between Carr the losing QB and Carr the franchise QB is his ability to make plays, not his ability to be a shrinking violet when the pressure is on. Everyone knows he can hit the 3 yard laser strike but he doesn't have an intermediate passing game so on 3rd and any distance at all teams just shut us down...trot out Stanley.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I hit enter too soon...

anyway, finishing my thought is simple. I don't think they give Carr away for wood and rocks. I think Kubiak honestly thinks he can play and will be able to convert those passes I say he can't make, so I believe him and think he is being honest about this.

Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2007   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

My coffee was too strong this morning....too much early coffee

Old 02-23-2007   #9
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Not even close to similar situations from a production and contract standpoint.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235197
carr seems healthy to me, prolly alot shell shocked. brees had the major shoulder surgery and was unrestricted--plus they had philip rivers in stead. i think both SD and NOS came out roses on that deal.
Old 02-23-2007   #10
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I hit enter too soon...

anyway, finishing my thought is simple. I don't think they give Carr away for wood and rocks. I think Kubiak honestly thinks he can play and will be able to convert those passes I say he can't make, so I believe him and think he is being honest about this.
so what trumps what situation--the FO's ability to get fair value, or Kubiak's ability to rehab Carr's game?
Old 02-23-2007   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
so what trumps what situation--the FO's ability to get fair value, or Kubiak's ability to rehab Carr's game?
That is the question.
Old 02-23-2007   #12
qtab
Rookie

This is just posturing in the media, IMHO...Rick trying to get the best return that he can for David, he's not going to come out and say that "Carr is gone, regardless of what we're offered".

I also don't think they can bring Carr back...after actively shopping him they're essentially saying that they don't believe he will lead this team to the playoffs. I don't think they can pretend like this didn't happen and pretend like they still have confidence in him come September.

You can do that with other players, I just don't think you can do that to the QB who is supposed to be your leader.
qtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve View Post
I don't think we are in a panic to move him but I'd bet the offers for Carr were light early on since the open speculation is that we are moving him. Everyone rushes to see if they can get something for nothing and most of them found out that Casserly doesn't live here anymore. Also, I'm sure Kubiak wants to be able to tell Bob he got David where he told him he could get him when he took the job....so there is some of that mixed into this imo.

Old 02-23-2007   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, the seriouse offers will come in about draft time. Until then, we are getting enquires from teams that are looking to get a steal if we are willing to toss Carr out for little or nothing. Rick is setting the market and Kubes is saying we are willing and perhaps expecting to go into the season with Carr at the controlls. However, if you make an good offer we are willing to listen. These guys are all about making the club better, no matter what position or where. I suspect that they don't see Carr as the "Most need" postition, but a need position none the less, and if they can get value AND have a means of improving the team, they will pull the trigger.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #15
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtab View Post
This is just posturing in the media, IMHO...Rick trying to get the best return that he can for David, he's not going to come out and say that "Carr is gone, regardless of what we're offered".

I also don't think they can bring Carr back...after actively shopping him they're essentially saying that they don't believe he will lead this team to the playoffs. I don't think they can pretend like this didn't happen and pretend like they still have confidence in him come September.

You can do that with other players, I just don't think you can do that to the QB who is supposed to be your leader.
If the Texans believe there is not a better solution to DC, Carr will be back regardless. I think it boils down if one more year in offense under Kubes will put DC where he can be productive.
Old 02-23-2007   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
IMO, the seriouse offers will come in about draft time.
The Texans can't go that long before they settle the QB situation. They either bring in Plummer and deal Carr in the next couple of weeks. Or stick with David, let Sage compete for the starting job in camp, and draft another QB at some point.

I don't really don't know what to think about Smith & Kubiak's recent statements. To me, they're being coy about Carr's future here in an attempt to drive up his trade value. That's not going to work. Carr's value is what it is. Frankly, I think David had more value after the '05 debacle of the season. At least then, teams could point to Carr's horrible offensive system and o-line as excuses. Now, these same teams saw David regress as the season went on while working with a top QB coach in Kubiak. As Carr regressed, so did his trade value. Unless Casserly gets a GM job soon, their will be no draft pick bonanza for David Carr.
Old 02-23-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans can't go that long before they settle the QB situation. They either bring in Plummer and deal Carr in the next couple of weeks. Or stick with David, let Sage compete for the starting job in camp, and draft another QB at some point.
The smart thing, would be to wait it out. It's not a big deal to us if Jake comes to play for Houston or not. I think it means more to Jake. I think it's more important to Denver to move up in this draft to get a stud DT/DE, than it is for us to not use that pick on Levi or Landry.

Jake can refuse to go to Oakland(which I think he will, just to play with Kubiak), and force Denver to sweeten the pot, if they want our #8 pick.

We can wait till June 1st, when Denver will have to cut Jake, because of the money(unless Jake is willing to take a back-up's pay), we can get Jake & Keep our #8. So I think Denver will be more itchy to get something done.

one caveat.... if we don't take the rumored trade firsts+Plummer+Bell+Denver's 3rd... I think Minnesota would. They'll start Jake until TJ is ready, they'll split carries with Taylor & Bell, then they'll move up with Denver's first & third, to get Gin/Garrett at 18 or something.
Quote:
I don't really don't know what to think about Smith & Kubiak's recent statements. To me, they're being coy about Carr's future here in an attempt to drive up his trade value. That's not going to work. Carr's value is what it is. Frankly, I think David had more value after the '05 debacle of the season. At least then, teams could point to Carr's horrible offensive system and o-line as excuses. Now, these same teams saw David regress as the season went on while working with a top QB coach in Kubiak. As Carr regressed, so did his trade value. Unless Casserly gets a GM job soon, their will be no draft pick bonanza for David Carr.
This years free agent QB class is pretty weak... Garcia is the prize....... we could probably still get a third, especially if Jake is thought to be off the market.
Old 02-23-2007   #18
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY View Post
I know alot of people are all about "get rid of DC for whatever price". But I am glad that Rick is being smart about it. The QB position is a problem, no doubt, but it's not our biggest problem. David has proven that he can at least manage a game, and with an improved defense & OL, I think we will win regardless.

Our FA money is better spent on UPGRADING the team. Plummer is a sideways move. Use that money on the run game, OL, and D.

Do that and we'll win baby!!!

Who-besides David-has started since day one? Upgrade...but leave the QB alone and we'll win?

The Texans are on record as the losingest expansion team after 5 years, worse than even the Bucs and Saints--remember them and thought they were bad! We're worse...and you want to stick with David? OK.
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007   #19
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Why I disagree with you here is one reason. Come DURING the draft, if the QB's start getting picked up quickly (in other words, if 3-4 QB's or more (I dont see more) go in the first round) imo, then some teams will be scrambling for them. This is where quick thought deals of teams that need a backup or starter can really bump a Carr's stock to maybe a second or a very high 3rd. Of course, this could backfire if QB's are not in high demand but I believe they (the texans) are of the mind right now that Carr is on a teater board and he could go either way and the Texans would be fine with it.
Old 02-23-2007   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

David has definitely been part of the problem, but I don't think making a bad deal to get rid of him is going to help us. We still need to solve a lot of other problems, but not necessarily before or after that. Anything we do that even partially and temporarily solves the problem at QB could cost us the chance to draft:

CB
S
OLT
C
OLB
G
or MAYBE even Adrianne P.

I don't think that letting David stay for one more year is such a bad thing in the long run--and it wouldn't kill us to even let him finish his contract, if it means getting everything else in place to be ready for his eventual replacement.

I still think Carr can outplay what will probably be offered for him, but I sure wouldn't give him any more contracts (understatement of the year).

I can't get into the details of what trade is really worth it or not. I just don't follow other teams that much.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read