Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2007   #1
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Default Charles Spencer!

Lance Zerlein reported some good news about Charles Spencer in his blog about the NFL draft. In response to a blogger's post, LZ wrote the following:

"I'm not too crazy about Levi Brown at that spot. Plus, after speaking with someone close to Charles Spencer's rehab recently, I feel much better about his chances of coming back healthy this year at some point."

In response, I asked the following questions that LZ partially answered:

[snip]

Can you shed more light on how Spencer's rehab is coming along? I recall there was some fear the cartilage wouldn't grow back on his knee. Is it growing back? Does it look like Spencer will regain all of his previous mobility, so he can stay at LT? When is he expected to be ready to play? I take it from your comment that it may not be until during the season.

From what I've been told, the best case scenario is that he'll be ready to go by some point in the preseason and by worst case scenario he'll start the season on the PUP list and be in a similar situation that K.Wong was in last year. However, all in all, it sounds like he has been diligent with his rehab and that he is just grinding his way through the long, slow process. There is still some unknown to get through in terms of his mobility, but the fear that he would have permanent cartilage damage is subsiding.

So... the good news is we apparently don't have to worry about Spencer's career being over. The jury is still out on whether he'll recover all of his athletic ability, but the initial returns are promising. It would be great if he can be a long-term answer at LT. Alternatively, if he can still be a good RT or guard, I'll take it--though I'd much prefer that he'd be a stud LT!

Hopefully Spencer's friend and occasional poster CT CSTM can provide more information.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...02/post_4.html
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Charles Spencer!

That is great news indeed! It will certainly have a bearing on how the Texans go about business in reagrds to FA and the draft.

Of course it is also good news to Charles Spencer and his family as well.
Old 02-20-2007   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Translation: fears persist about his ability to fully come back.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

At this point, I'm just glad that the possibility for him to come back is getting better and better. Yes, there still is a chance he doesn't come back full strength, but things are looking up and I like how positive this feedback was.
Old 02-20-2007   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm prayin he can come back healthy...my concern is with his knee is that there is still probably going to be some arthritis in that knee...how long can he play...do we need him to change position on the o-line to allow him a better chance at success...what about this change

? at left tackle
pitts at left guard
weary at center
spencer at right guard
winston at right tackle
Old 02-20-2007   #6
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

Thumbs up Re: Charles Spencer!

This is good news. Lets all hope for a healthy hear for Charles Spencer starting Week 1.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #7
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Amen.
Old 02-20-2007   #8
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind bringing someone in like Pettigout as a solid insurance policy at LT or Addressing the need in the draft still.

Pettigout?/Brown?/ Staley?/Ugoh? at left tackle
pitts at left guard
weary at center
spencer at right guard
winston at right tackle

..that actually looks like a solid Oline.
Old 02-20-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Hmmm...Wand?...nah! It'd never happen...

Old 02-20-2007   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
Hmmm...Wand?...nah! It'd never happen...

I rather we bring Matt Stevens back...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #11
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
lets not push it.
Old 02-20-2007   #12
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Oh, the horror!
Old 02-21-2007   #13
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The fear that he would have permanent cartilage damage is subsiding!!

Good news!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #14
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I broke out in a cold sweat when you wrote that
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post
From what I've been told, the best case scenario is that he'll be ready to go by some point in the preseason and by worst case scenario he'll start the season on the PUP list and be in a similar situation that K.Wong was in last year. However, all in all, it sounds like he has been diligent with his rehab and that he is just grinding his way through the long, slow process. There is still some unknown to get through in terms of his mobility, but the fear that he would have permanent cartilage damage is subsiding.
Please don't get me wrong, I Pray to God Spencer checks out and can play LT for us the entire season.

But from just what was written above, how can anyone be glad to hear that? It's basically what we've been hearing the whole time! Best case scenario he can start for us ( Well no #@#$!!!!) of course that woud be the best case scenario. worst case scenario would be he'd never play again....this says he'd be on the PUP....which means we really don't have any idea. Domanick probably will never play sufficient time IMO. Hope Spencer isn't the same way!

I don't see how this is any new knews. or at least great news. Kubiak has said he's not waiting on players to get better. like last year with davis....so why wouldn't he pick levi brown in this situation...who's to say spencer can play at all much less LT or RT???

To me this is worthless...sorry to be to whole grinch of all of this but I don't see how anyone can draw any sort of conclusions to this.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Please don't get me wrong, I Pray to God Spencer checks out and can play LT for us the entire season.

But from just what was written above, how can anyone be glad to hear that? It's basically what we've been hearing the whole time! Best case scenario he can start for us ( Well no #@#$!!!!) of course that woud be the best case scenario. worst case scenario would be he'd never play again....this says he'd be on the PUP....which means we really don't have any idea. Domanick probably will never play sufficient time IMO. Hope Spencer isn't the same way!

I don't see how this is any new knews. or at least great news. Kubiak has said he's not waiting on players to get better. like last year with davis....so why wouldn't he pick levi brown in this situation...who's to say spencer can play at all much less LT or RT???

To me this is worthless...sorry to be to whole grinch of all of this but I don't see how anyone can draw any sort of conclusions to this.
It's the offseason and if it isn't BAD news, then it MUST be GOOD news. Other than that, I agree with you.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But from just what was written above, how can anyone be glad to hear that? It's basically what we've been hearing the whole time!
The way I interpret the blog is that there has been improvement over what we knew beforehand. The word on the street before was that he might not possibly play again. Now LZ has him playing...possibly in the preseason.
Old 02-21-2007   #18
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47109 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am sure Ricky Williams wouldn't mind seeing him again so he can get his shoe back.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
The way I interpret the blog is that there has been improvement over what we knew beforehand. The word on the street before was that he might not possibly play again. Now LZ has him playing...possibly in the preseason.
I dunno, but think I'm with Ole Miss on this topic.
There really is nothing new that is more than wishful thinking based on speculation.
On another website, posters recently were saying they know NFL players
personally who say the league grapevine says Spencer's career is basically
over. So what is that, third hand rumors ?
If he could play and contribute to the team in the 2008 season after taking
all of 2007 for rehab, don't know about others but I'd jump all over that deal if it was offered.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #20
real

Quote:

It's beyond me how anyone can take this as something other than good news.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read