Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-19-2007   #1
stx-texans
Rookie

Default Texans 7 round picks

1st Levi Brown OT Penn State
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC
3rd Josh Gattis FS Wake Forest
4th Kevin Kolb QB Houston
5th Kareem Brown DT Miami
6th Justin Warren OLB Texas A&M
7th Garrett Wolfe RB Northern Illinois

I know this does not help out our need for a CB but I am hoping we find someone in free agency.

ok that is it go ahead and tear it up.
stx-texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #2
BleedTheBurntOrange
Rookie

Default Re: Texans 7 round picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx-texans View Post
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC

I know this does not help out our need for a CB but I am hoping we find someone in free agency.

Really like how you went O-Line first 2 picks even though theyre not flashy theyre needed.

Not as big on Gattis and Kolb as others but they are qaulity picks and could work out.

Love the Garrett Wolfe pick he was a favorite of mine to watch in college and i know he could be a good NFL RB if given the chance.

Nice mock all around good job.
Old 02-19-2007   #3
baba ganoush
Veteran

Quote:
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC

I like the mock, its just i dont see the texans getting two olineman in day one...i think we're going to go for a skill position with our first pick. I love the Kalil pick anlong with Gattis and Kolb, But i dont think Kolb will be around in day 2... Kareem Brown is more of a late 2nd rounder early 3rd rounder but i like where your heads at...Justin Warren is suited more for a ILB than an OLB, hes a big hitter and has been the heart of the aggies defense. I dont know who your 7th rounder is, but i guess he'll do...It was a good mock though
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #4
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

There are just so many options, but I'll go with this one.

1. Adrian Peterson HB Oklahoma (please, PLEASE fall to us)
2. Aaron Ross CB Texas (I would go with Daymeion Hughes, but his stock is going )
3. Doug Free OT Northern Illinois
4. Kevin Kolb QB Houston
5. David Ball WR New Hampshire
6. Garrett Wolfe HB Northern Illinois
7. Sabby Piscitelli S Oregon State

With Ken Hamlin & Michael Lewis (both safties) potential FA Signings, I went with a CB in the 2nd rd. rather than a S. I also feel like we could Steinbeck, and that would not be too far of a reach.
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC

I really can't argue with the first 2 picks. Right now, I don't feel Levi is worth #8, and I don't think another team would value him that high, allowing us to move back some if he is our target as your suggest.

I love the Kalil pick.

I have real problems with Gatis and Kolb. Kolb probally won't be there in the 4th as you suggest either, but I wouldn't take him regardless.

Brown is a beast when allowed to make plays, and he will go higher than the 5th round. Warren screams 3-4 ILB to me, but would be decent. I'm not high on him at all though.

I love the Wolfe pick. He is the scat back I feel we are missing. Will need to bulk up about 7-12lbs to be a more ideal RB.

I think you should look at guys like Josh Wilson, CB, Maryland in the 3rd or 4th, maybe John Weddlin, S, Wynoming in the 4th. These are just options, but ones I feel would bennifit our team more than what you have down. There are a lot more options, but I like the begining and ending of your draft.
Old 02-19-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC
Not bad at all. I'd be fine w/ this. I like the Kalil pick. I'm not too sure when it comes to 2nd day stuff...or even third round for that matter but i'd like to 'match up' the first 2 rds if possible. something line this....

option 1-
1. Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma (elite rb)
2. Ryan Kalil C USC (need o-line help, C is overlooked)
3. Desmond Bishop LB Cal (hard hitting lb play next to demeco)

or if AP is gone Option 2-
1. LaRon Landry FS LSU (we have no FS...he's a true leader and proven, better tackler than nelson)
2. Aaron Ross CB Texas (we have no cb2...we need someone opposite dunta)
3. Drew Stanton QB Mich St. (hop he falls to us in 3rd...qb for Kubes to groom?)
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #7
htownfoozball
Veteran

josh gattis is overrated. see CC Brown. both are in the box type safeties.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2007   #8
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 60 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

nice to see someone doing the hard right(OL first 2) as opposed to the easy wrong(flashy position). I also like the Kolb pick, but do you think he will last past the 3rd?
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #9
stx-texans
Rookie

if you go to cbssportsline.com it has a list of all players that have declared for the draft and what round they are projected to go in, these are the projections i used in filling out my 1st post in this thread.

Kolb in the 4th round was really a homer pick i admit, if there is a better value corner availible i would pick him there. but i really believe that cb position will be addressed in free agency.

Warren is being projected as an outside linebacker for a 4-3 system in the pros from what i have read so far. if i am wrong sorry.

as far as drafting A. Peterson at #8 there is no way he falls that far, if he does we should have someone run to the podium with that pick.
stx-texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #10
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
2nd Ryan Kalil C USC

Love the mock, its about time we addressed the Oline. the only thing I really dont agree on is Kevin Kolb, I dont think he will be there in the 4th but even if he was I would not want to take him. But other than that its a well thought out mock, good job
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

miami will draft gattis at some point. pretty certain of that.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #12
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I love how people agree with we need to build the trenches, and they wouldn't be upset with drafting an o linemen that high. However, Levi Brown is a reach. He is a mid-late first round talent, why not pickup up an early 1st round player?

If AP or BQ don't fall:

1st: Alan Branch/Okoye
2nd: Rufus Alexander
3rd: Tony Ugoh (if not available: Doug Free)
4th: Best Interior O line available
5th: Kareem Brown
6th: Justin Warren
7th: Tom Zbikowski or Jeff Somardja

Why those 7th round picks? I would much rather take a gamble that one of them come to football, then use a 7th round pick on a practice squad player that we cut eventually. Say Zbikowski came to football, that would be HUGE getting a top safety in the draft that late...but I am dreaming...and don't get me started on somardja...he is right up there with calvin johnson... not as athletic, but better hands and more of a playmaker.
Old 02-20-2007   #13
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I love how people agree with we need to build the trenches, and they wouldn't be upset with drafting an o linemen that high. However, Levi Brown is a reach. He is a mid-late first round talent, why not pickup up an early 1st round player?

If AP or BQ don't fall:

Why those 7th round picks? I would much rather take a gamble that one of them come to football, then use a 7th round pick on a practice squad player that we cut eventually. Say Zbikowski came to football, that would be HUGE getting a top safety in the draft that late...but I am dreaming...and don't get me started on somardja...he is right up there with calvin johnson... not as athletic, but better hands and more of a playmaker.
smardzija exercised a clause in his baseball contract with the Chicago Cubs to give up football for good. he is in spring training with the Cubs in Arizona right now.
i am still a proponent of grabbing branch or okoye with that #8 or trading down and securing more day one talent. i will admit i am not much of a draft guru but LB and OL in rounds 2-3 makes sense.

i do think we will sign a DB in FA but still believe getting one at some point in the draft is a must.
Old 02-20-2007   #14
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post

If AP or BQ don't fall:

I was listining to 610 this morning and they were saying that JS had to cut like 5inches of his hair. I wonder how he felt about that? I bet he is kicking himself right now for the decision he made. I do like JS and I think he would be a ligit 2 wr after Aj, what do you think. The man is just tall and lanky and has great hands and can go up for the ball, thats something we havent really seen.
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

zbikowski in the 7th is a riot. 2nd rounder at worst.
Old 02-20-2007   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would target McIntosh(Dolphins) and Asante(Buffalo) in FA and take
BDefensivePA at #8 or try to swap #8 to NE ofr #24 & #28. They should be close to equal value. I wonder what it would tke to get Briggs from Chicago. That would be sweet, but I can't see it. Thank you, Charley Casserly for spending us to Cap Hell with your ridiculous FA signings the last 5 years.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #17
texman8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would target McIntosh(Dolphins) and Asante(Buffalo) in FA and take
BDefensivePA at #8 or try to swap #8 to NE ofr #24 & #28. They should be close to equal value. I wonder what it would tke to get Briggs from Chicago. That would be sweet, but I can't see it. Thank you, Charley Casserly for spending us to Cap Hell with your ridiculous FA signings the last 5 years.
Think you mean Asante Samuels with Pats.....Both He and Briggs have been franchised by NE and Chicago,respectively.

Trading for Pats' two 1st round picks would be too much a dropoff in getting an impact player.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8 View Post
Think you mean Asante Samuels with Pats.....Both He and Briggs have been franchised by NE and Chicago,respectively.

Trading for Pats' two 1st round picks would be too much a dropoff in getting an impact player.
Thanks for the correction..I juts saw that on NFL News. So much for my master plan to dominate the NFL.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would target McIntosh(Dolphins)
lmao, by all means, go for it.
Old 02-20-2007   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
zbikowski in the 7th is a riot. 2nd rounder at worst.
I thought Zbikowski was staying in school.

He was a senior last year but he has 1 year of football eligibility remaining.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read