Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-19-2007   #1
Ckw

Default Ron Rivera looks to be let go by the Bears

This just in: the Bears and Ron Rivera have seemingly ended talks on a contract extension, and he is about to be a free agent. Man if I'm the Texans I jump on this guy immediately.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771399
Old 02-19-2007   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ron Rivera looks to be let go by the Bears

No joke. That guy got a very bad team to play very well.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #3
ryansisgod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This just in: the Bears and Ron Rivera have seemingly ended talks on a contract extension, and he is about to be a free agent. Man if I'm the Texans I jump on this guy immediately.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771399
we already have richard smith and we hired frank bush as wellm so i highly doubt kubes and co. would jump on it although i highly beleive he could help us alot with the developement of mario and demeco.
Old 02-19-2007   #4
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansisgod View Post
we already have richard smith and we hired frank bush as wellm so i highly doubt kubes and co. would jump on it although i highly beleive he could help us alot with the developement of mario and demeco.
I know that we have Frank Bush and Richard Smith. But you fire Richard Smith if you've got a chance at a guy like Ron Rivera. It's all just wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream right?
Old 02-19-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd drop Richard Smith in a heartbeat if it meant we got Rivera!

I'm not holding my breath, though...this organization likes to hold on to people much longer than they should, judging from past experience(s).
Old 02-19-2007   #6
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
No joke. That guy got a very bad team to play very well.
Wait. Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher, Charles Tillman, and Tank Johnson constitute a "bad" team? I understand that it takes a good coach to get the most out of your talent, but seriously.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #7
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

No way you fire anyone on staff. Hire him as a consultant for the year. He will more then likely be a HC next year. If you fire our current guy, then what come next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2007   #8
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
No way you fire anyone on staff. Hire him as a consultant for the year. He will more then likely be a HC next year. If you fire our current guy, then what come next year?
I agree with you on that hire that man as a consultant for a year.
Old 02-19-2007   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Anyone know when he was hired as DC for the Bears? It would be interesting to compare how the defense did before all those stars emerged.
Old 02-19-2007   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not holding my breath, though...this organization likes to hold on to people much longer than they should, judging from past experience(s).
You can't say that we've held Richard Smith too long though can you? I was impressed with the way our defense played last year after those first 4 games, especially with the lack of talent we had. I don't think we'll be going after Rivera though. I think he'd be a one and done type of guy, he's a DC for us for a year, maybe two, then he gets a head coaching job.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Rivera is the linebackers coach at San Diego only hours after he didn't get his contract renewed by the Bears. Shawn "Steroids" Merriman being coached by Rivera. That's kind of scary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771716

Thanks to Premier
Old 02-19-2007   #12
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Anyone know when he was hired as DC for the Bears? It would be interesting to compare how the defense did before all those stars emerged.
Went to the Bears in 04 from the Eagles, where he was the LB coach from 99 to 03.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I've heard Lovie Smith already has a guy to take Rivera's spot.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #14
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Why didn't we go after that guy?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans are slow.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
You can't say that we've held Richard Smith too long though can you? I was impressed with the way our defense played last year after those first 4 games, especially with the lack of talent we had. I don't think we'll be going after Rivera though. I think he'd be a one and done type of guy, he's a DC for us for a year, maybe two, then he gets a head coaching job.
Well, that makes one of us. I've never been impressed by Richard Smith's playcalling abilities. He blew the call against the Bills by his own admission. JP Losman beats us with a passing game with only 9 seconds on the clock?! That game should have been a win. He blew the call in OT against the Titans by his own admission. Most defensive coordinators know not to throw a blitz at VY in a third and long situation. That might have been another win.

There are other examples, but these two are the most glaring. He gets too emotional about playcalling, even to the point of not calling blitzes all game because someone in the media called him out for the previous game. I'm just not impressed with a guy that has nothing on his resume to indicate that he'll be a great coordinator. Thankfully we added Bush to our staff, because I think he'll keep Smith in line. But I'd fire RS in a heartbeat if it was my decision (I think he was a quick fix because we hired Kubiak so late in the game and he had slim pickins by that point).
Old 02-20-2007   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Talent flows around the league and you have to be a bit ruthless to acquire some of it. It would have been a bold move to throw the deuce at Richard Smith and hire Rivera but McNair really values loyalty and work ethic and Smith may have shown them enough to not even consider rocking the staff. I'm not sure what I think of Smith at this point but I do know the defense was very bi-polar. At times we hid our deficiencies very well but there were other times when we seemed to do unsound things (like the Demeco spy-blitz on Young in OT). The talent makes the plays but the coaches put you in the best position to make a play. Sometimes it doesn't seem like our talent was in winnable situations.
Great post, Vinny, and with regards to the last part: truer words have never been spoken.
Old 02-21-2007   #18
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Couldn't Rivera could have come in as a linebacker coach or something??? We need help all around .
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #19
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible View Post
Couldn't Rivera could have come in as a linebacker coach or something??? We need help all around .
no, because that would be a demotion.

We already have one senior defensive assistant to skirt that issue. Frank Bush was an assistant head coach and linebackers coach.
Old 02-21-2007   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

I think he may have taken the Chargers job because it will give him experience working with a 3-4 defense rather than the 4-3 he's worked with his entire time with the Bears.

Thanks to Premier

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read