Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2007   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default FA's what do you think?

Aight, so the offseason is finally getting under way. Just a few weeks before FA starts in earnest. So who do you think we should target. Samuels, Briggs, Justin Smith of the Bengals, and Sands DT from the Raiders are already off the market. Not just other team FA's, but who do you think we should ink from our own team.

From our team, I'd like to keep Peek, Earl, Dayne and Salaam, I think Leach is signed through this yr., but if not him over Dayne.

I think we should look at Cory Redding, Nate Clements and Ken Hamlin in FA.

Thoughts?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #2
AtheGreat
Veteran

Default Re: FA's what do you think?

KEEPERS:

salaam - is a decent insurance policy but hopefully he wont be starting 12-14 games like he did this year.

Dayne - see who we pick in the draft, but i think he could be a decent, cheap #2 guy.

GO AFTER:

steinbach - very possible to get. young, versitle player who can really help out our line.

clemets - throw everything we got at him (which still prob. isn't enough) but use the "you live here" card on him and whatever else McNair has to try to get him this way.

Micheal Lewis - ex-pro bowler that can't be any worse than what we got.
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us resign
salaam dayne leatch
cheap u.f.a.'s Iwould like to see us sign
deion grant micheal lewis roman oben
mid range u.f.a.'s I would like to see us sign
charles grant luke pettigout & kevin curtis (I really like curtis)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #4
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Now that tags are being put on the big names for FA (I.E. Samuels and Briggs) dont think they are worth the time or money. Also just read a site that said Clements might be taged as well(sorry dont know what site I was on)

If this happens IMO we are out of luck getting a CB in FA just to much to give up. (remember the Pbuc deal with Oakland)

So if this turns out to be the way it plays out and I where the GM(thank god I'm not) this is the way I go.

Target FS in FA there are a couple of upgrades from what we have on the roster right now out there
A) FS FA from the eagles or seahawks I think?(sorry I've looked at so many names, positions, and teams I might be getting confused)

Target OL as well
A) Stenbeick (I think thats his name is the one I go after Hard)
B) Falcons are droping their ZB sys. so I look at the OL that they are letting go as back-ups for our roster.
C) L Pettgrue is also one I would look at as well.

Target DL also
A) Have not heard his name mentioned in a while on the MB but from what I saw and read during the season T. Sands from the Raiders might be a good pick-up at this position. Big body that can stuff the run and take the heat off of Mario AND DeMeco.

So thats my two cent for FA. Still so many holes to fill I know but you have to start somewhere right. In the draft we would need IMO to cover LT,CB,OLB,DL,RB and depth on the OL. Trade down in the 1st round order to get more picks might not be a bad thing. Some might not like this because you want a impact player now, but I look at the draft as a crap shoot and the more players you can get in to training camp the better the chances you find that special player the fell through the cracks.

Sorry my post was so long lots to say. Be gentle if you don't agree with me its my first year to realy say in type what I thinking the team should do.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
Have not heard his name mentioned in a while on the MB but from what I saw and read during the season T. Sands from the Raiders might be a good pick-up at this position. Big body that can stuff the run and take the heat off of Mario AND DeMeco.
Sands reupped with the Raiders.

Quote:
he Oakland Raiders have made the first significant move regarding their roster by re-signing defensive tackle Terdell Sands before he became a free agent. Sands agreed to a four-year contract worth $17 million which includes $4 million in signing bonus money and salaries of $800, $1.2 million, $1.3 million and $4.6 million over the next four seasons. It also includes roster bonuses of $1.3 million in each of the next three seasons and $800,000 in the last year.
Old 02-19-2007   #6
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 24 TFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performerTFL is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry View Post
Also just read a site that said Clements might be taged as well(sorry dont know what site I was on)
I don't think Clements can be tagged this year cuase he was tagged last year.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #7
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

SS Michael Lewis out of Philadelphia appears to be the most likely candidate to land in Houston. Kubiak made it a point that unless we can get more penetration on the QB next year, our secondary is in major need of an upgrade. As a former pro-bowler, this guy is a stud and can really make teams like Indianapolis think twice about attempting any deep passes. I think he's building a house around the Houston area as well, but that could also be because of the cost of living and the city itself.

Since we're more than likely going to be drafting linemen, it might also make sense to go after a star linebacker. Cato June out of Indy comes to mind, where we could potentialy have a Sam-Mike-Will combination of Rufus Alexander(rookie from Okl.)-Demeco Ryans-Cato June. He probably will carry a heavy price tag so MLB Kawika Mitchell out of Kansas City is a great alternative if Demeco is willing to move back to OLB.

Maybe we could even talk to Robaire Smith about a possible return to the Texans. With Payne going down last season, cutting Smith really hurt the Texans. Although I'd rather have a young guy come in here and learn the system.
BSofA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2007   #8
humbleone
Veteran

The Seattle FS Hamlin is IMO the guy that is doable and would help the team the most.

It will be interesting to see what moves Smith makes.

Go Texans!!!
humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #9
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat View Post
KEEPERS:

salaam - is a decent insurance policy but hopefully he wont be starting 12-14 games like he did this year.

Dayne - see who we pick in the draft, but i think he could be a decent, cheap #2 guy.

GO AFTER:

steinbach - very possible to get. young, versitle player who can really help out our line.

clemets - throw everything we got at him (which still prob. isn't enough) but use the "you live here" card on him and whatever else McNair has to try to get him this way.

Micheal Lewis - ex-pro bowler that can't be any worse than what we got.
100% agree. If Nate is gone Ashanti is possible but I do not see much about him recently. A solid CB opposite DR makes safeties and line backers look better to me. That and a RB (Peterson) could turn both sides of ball into much better players.
Old 02-19-2007   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL View Post
I don't think Clements can be tagged this year cuase he was tagged last year.
Players can be repeat franchised (ex. Walter Jones was tagged three years running) but Clements worked a deal out last year to report and they won't franchise him this year.
Old 02-19-2007   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Players can be repeat franchised (ex. Walter Jones was tagged three years running) but Clements worked a deal out last year to report and they won't franchise him this year.
I thought there was talk about changing that in the near future. Something like two years in a row is the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
I thought there was talk about changing that in the near future. Something like two years in a row is the max.
There was talk but it doesn't apply to this situation. Plus, agents have gotten smarter and there has been a trend recently with folks like Shawn Alexander and Clements to get deals saying we will report under the franchise this year but you agree not to use the tag again next year.
Old 02-19-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need a FS much more than we need a SS.

We definitly need upgrade at the o-line position and i would like to see that addressed in the draft as well.

I think getting Nate Clements would be a mistake. Asanti Samuel was franchised so nate is the only top tier cb available. His price will be mile high and we have WAY too many needs to fill than wasting money on one player.

He would help out our secondary tremendously but he's a guy you get when you're only a player or two away from the playoffs or championship game. I think while he would help us out a lot...it would be a waste of money since we're rebuilding and probably 2 more years away from being a legit strong team constantly competing for the playoffs/ division title.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #14
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ken Hamlin is a name that is intriguing to me. He is a FS and we certainly need an upgrade there. If we can get a FS like him in FA we cad address the CB hole in the draft perhaps.
Old 02-19-2007   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Ken Hamlin is a name that is intriguing to me. He is a FS and we certainly need an upgrade there. If we can get a FS like him in FA we cad address the CB hole in the draft perhaps.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8980665/rss

Not if character is an issue. I don't think anyone really cares if it is your fault or not, you make a million dollars a year. You don't see Paul Allen or Holmgren getting into bar fights.
Old 02-19-2007   #16
Clash_Fan3605
Veteran

We should go after Steinbeck, Hamlin or Michael Lewis, & of course, Plummer when he is released. IMHO, ALL of these players could be playing for the Texans. (That's not too much to ask, is it?)
Well, now that we have Schaub & no 2nd round draft pick, DRAFT LaRON LANDRY at #10!
Clash_Fan3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8980665/rss

Not if character is an issue. I don't think anyone really cares if it is your fault or not, you make a million dollars a year. You don't see Paul Allen or Holmgren getting into bar fights.
"...at about 2 a.m. Monday, several hours after the Seahawks defeated the Houston Texans at Qwest Field. "

you just HAD to find the article that said that didn't you....lol.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #18
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
"...at about 2 a.m. Monday, several hours after the Seahawks defeated the Houston Texans at Qwest Field. "

you just HAD to find the article that said that didn't you....lol.
yeah I noticed that afterwards. I didn't really look at the article too closely and just grabbed the first one as a reference.

Since then: Hamlin has been cleared of any murder connections and that club just recently had its liquor license pulled.

Hamlin had a history of drunken driving charges ( or arrests, I don't remember which one ) while at Arkansas.

BUT
I am not saying Hamlin is a bad guy, I am just saying he has some baggage that is typically frowned upon in Houston ( or has been in the past ).
Old 02-20-2007   #19
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Dre Bly wants out of Detroit. I think we should try and pry him away for a 4th rounder.
Old 02-20-2007   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

My big money FA is Nate Clements
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/pla...layer_id=33929

My under the wire Free Agent is Chris Dielman
http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/kris-dielman.htm
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read