Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-18-2007   #1
Ali4Real

Talking SportsCenter And The Texans

Today, while watching SportsCenter, some of the reporters were discussing the Texans and 2007-2008 season. When asked what the Texans need to improve on, one guy said the O-Line or D-Line and he later added that the Texans well finish 8-8. They also mentioned that David Carr is good QB but needs someone to protect him. My question is this WHAT WERE THE TEXANS THINKING BY NOT PICKING UP LeCHARLES BENTLY OR ANDRE GAURODE (HE IS FROM TEXANS AND PLAYS FOR THE COWBOYS, ALSO A PRO-BOWLER) WHY BLAME CARR WHEN OUR LINE CAN'T BLOCK EVEN IF THEIR LIFE DEPENDED ON HIM.

We could have gotten D'Bricksaw Furgeson, but mario williams is good (or he well be). what do you think about the sports center comments?

also, well we have to franchise tag andre johnson, i read that if a team offers a star player a better offer and they sign him, than that team has to give up 2 first round picks for compensation, is this true?
Old 02-18-2007   #2
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve
Default Re: SportsCenter And The Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
My question is this WHAT WERE THE TEXANS THINKING BY NOT PICKING UP LeCHARLES BENTLY OR ANDRE GAURODE (HE IS FROM TEXAS AND PLAYS FOR THE COWBOYS, ALSO A PRO-BOWLER) WHY BLAME CARR WHEN OUR LINE CAN'T BLOCK EVEN IF THEIR LIFE DEPENDED ON HIM.
also, well we have to franchise tag andre johnson, i read that if a team offers a star player a better offer and they sign him, than that team has to give up 2 first round picks for compensation, is this true?
we had no chance at bentley--he wanted to go home and play for the browns.
Old 02-18-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

sportscenters comments meant little/nothing to fans of the Texans. no one knows the Texans better than their own fans. not one mention of addressing the secondary. possiblity of making a trade for Plummer, please.....running game needs help.......both lines need improvement. thank-you captain obvious for this late breaking news

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #4
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 121 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

AJ's contract doesn't expire until the '09 season. It's then that the Texans would 'franchise' him, if they so desired.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #5
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
sportscenters comments meant little/nothing to fans of the Texans. no one knows the Texans better than their own fans. not one mention of addressing the secondary. possiblity of making a trade for Plummer, please.....running game needs help.......both lines need improvement. thank-you captain obvious for this late breaking news
The SportsCenter comments accurately tell what the Texans need to do to become a better football team. But, it seems that, like always, the Texans are in their own little world and don't listen to things like that. They're thinking of giving up our #8 for Jake Plummer and Tatum Bell. Can you say "**** NO"? Anyone?
Old 02-18-2007   #6
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
The SportsCenter comments accurately tell what the Texans need to do to become a better football team. But, it seems that, like always, the Texans are in their own little world and don't listen to things like that. They're thinking of giving up our #8 for Jake Plummer and Tatum Bell. Can you say "**** NO"? Anyone?
No. Jake and Tatum aren't the answser to improving the Texans. The Texans are still several years out from being a "consistant" winner and with the guidence of Kubiak I am sure we will see marked improvement, regardless of decisions the Texans staff make with regard to the draft and Free Agency this year. We had a good draft last year and I see now reason why this years draft will be any less successful.

For the record....I take what I hear on Sports Center "with a grain of salt".
Old 02-18-2007   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
God lets hope this doesn't happen.

Thanks to Premier

Last edited by TexanSam; 02-18-2007 at 09:20 PM.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2007   #8
Luv Ya Blue 2007
Rookie

I will sell my seats and never watch again if we give away a #1 for those two.
Luv Ya Blue 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #9
baba ganoush
Veteran

i thought we were going to get plummer via free-agency? i dont even want him though, i dont like his attitude on and off the field and the way he treats the fans...look at all the bashing carr gets and i dont see a finger or foul language...thats just me though

BUT, WOULD IT BE OUT OF THE QUESTION TO SWAP 1ST ROUNDERS WITH DENVER AND WE WOULD STILL AQUIRE THE SPEEDY BACK IN TATUM BELL?
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

I would only swap #1's with denver if a deal involved Champ Bailey...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
I would only swap #1's with denver if a deal involved Champ Bailey...
Only if we can throw in Faggins. It's a win-win for everyone!!!
Old 02-19-2007   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They're thinking of giving up our #8 for Jake Plummer and Tatum Bell. Can you say "**** NO"? Anyone?
can you say "there's no way they are possibly considering that move?" because that would be the correct thing to say.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #13
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Quote:
[font="Arial"] My question is this WHAT WERE THE TEXANS THINKING BY NOT PICKING UP LeCHARLES BENTLY OR ANDRE GAURODE WHY BLAME CARR WHEN OUR LINE CAN'T BLOCK EVEN IF THEIR LIFE DEPENDED ON HIM.
While I agree with the tone of your post, I don't agree with everything. I have seen other QB's get away from the rush and do their jobs. Carr lost me this year.
I think the Texans, as an expansion team, should never have taken a QB first, but, since they did, they should have surrounded him with great blockers. They did not.
Kubiak is on his way to success by adding Weaver, Mario, Spencer and Winston. You win in the trenches.
Old 02-19-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
They are not thinking about it.

It was a goofy report you read about on the internet, or on this MB. Personally, I don't think the value adds up to the 8th overall pick..... chances are, it won't happen, and it's just talk.

Now about fixing the line.

We drafted two freak'n tackles last year, and signed a FA probowl Center, so it's not like we aren't trying. Just like we've been trying every year since 2002.

Next, when teams game plan around David Carr, it's to double team Andre Johnson, and watch David crumble.

Imagine, if you will, that we did pay LeCharles Bently a lot of money, & he got hurt, and didn't play a down like he didn't in Cleveland. We'd have gotten as much out of him, as we did get out of the Center we did sign for less money.

& most everyone was happy with the LT we drafted in the third, till he got hurt. So again imagine we had drafted D'brick, and he broke his leg in the second game of the season.

If you watched David in '06, you'd have realized his best throws were a fraction of a second before he got pummeled. When you give him time, he thinks too much, and screws it up.

REad this board, visit HoustonTexans.com, if you want to know about the Texans.
Old 02-19-2007   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The number 8 pick in the draft is 'worth' 1400 points.
The number 21 pick in the draft is 'worth' 800 points.

So if you were to package Plummer and Bell with their 1st rd pick...that would mean Plummer and Bell were worth about 600 points.

Denver's second rd pick is worth 370 pts.
Denver's third rd pick is worth 165 pts.
Denver's fourth rd pick is worth 60 pts.

There have been rumors that Plummer could be traded to us anywhere from a 3rd rd to a 5th rd pick...or he may even be a FA. I have not heard any rumors of Bell though. But It doesnt look like to me that bell and plummer would be worth the difference in picks...maybe to our team, but not the "general rule of thumb"...

To put it in perspective the 31st and 32nd picks in the 1st rd are worth 600 and 590 respectively. So that would in essence be Denver's 1st rd pick and Chicago's first rd pick to get to ours. plummer will probably only play a few more years at most.

I wouldn't do the trade even with swapping first rd picks. I would trade them our 1st rd pick for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rd picks though. pts wise i think it come pretty close and that would help us more than plummer and bell would. but denver is smart and knows not to do that...the same way we're smart and know not to trade our pick for players. well now we know not to do that!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #16
BleedTheBurntOrange
Rookie

If they do that trade be prepared to hear
"With the first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select..."
Old 02-19-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedTheBurntOrange View Post
If they do that trade be prepared to hear
"With the first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select..."
lol, exactly
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I wish I could ask those "analysts" how many Texan games they have watched over the past 2 years. If they say more than one, they are lying.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #19
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
WHAT WERE THE TEXANS THINKING BY NOT PICKING UP LeCHARLES BENTLY...
Bently is currently going through his second surgery since signing with the Browns and his career could be in jeopardy. I'll take Spencers chances over his, lack of experience and all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read