Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-17-2007   #1
pollster
Rookie

Default We're in a bad spot...

At #8, we aren't getting Peterson. We aren't getting Thomas.

Russell, Johnson, Anderson or Adams, Branch, and Ginn should all be gone.

So what do we do? Take Quinn and rebuild? Take Landry/Nelson for the secondary? Take Levi Brown for the O-Line? Adams or Anderson for the D-Line?

Lots of questions.
pollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #2
Buckle
Veteran

Default Re: We're in a bad spot...

If we are stuck in the position that you think we will, with AP, Branch, Russell, Thomas, and Johnson being off the board then I say we drop down a couple of picks still get the same quality of player and get a couple more draft picks to shore up other problems.
Buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
If we are stuck in the position that you think we will, with AP, Branch, Russell, Thomas, and Johnson being off the board then I say we drop down a couple of picks still get the same quality of player and get a couple more draft picks to shore up other problems.
I like your thinking, but as the saying goes, you need to partners to dance. Who will do the two step with us? Miami? Even if they want Quinn(as a certain Dolphins fan has led us to believe), why would they trade with us? They know we have other issues more important than QB. What about Atlanta whom would they so covet to move up? Maybe a WR for Vick to throw to? Maybe, but with Johnson gone, I cant see them trading up for Gin, Jr. SF? They dont need a QB, maybe we can get them interested a DT like Okoye, but then again, he might be a couple of years away(might) and not quite ready to step in. Maybe Gaines Adams? maybe, but he might fall to them anyway. Maybe Carolina at 14 would be salavating to get Brady Quinn, but they are 7 spots away. Thats more then I think you might be thinking. If we can get a solid package from them, Id drop down to Carolina, pick up Levi Brown and go from there. What are your thoughts?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster View Post

So what do we do? Take Quinn and rebuild? Take Landry/Nelson for the secondary? Take Levi Brown for the O-Line? Adams or Anderson for the D-Line?

Lots of questions.
I don't think there's one right answer, I think there are several. I have no problems if we choose Brown, Landry, Okoye, or several other players. The only positions I probably wouldn't draft in this spot are WR/TE and maybe QB (I'm not sold on Quinn.) We're going to have a lot of good picks in our position and as long as the player lives up to expectations, we win.

If we can find someone to dance with and trade back for a few more picks, I'd be fine with that, too. People are saying that this draft isn't as talented as last years, but there are still a lot of good players out there.

I expect good things from this draft. Which... could be a bad thing...
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You just named 8 people. Meaning one of them would avaliable at the #8 spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #6
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
Old 02-17-2007   #7
pollster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
Anderson OR Adams aren't 2 people.
pollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2007   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm one of those who do not like the idea of drafting brady quinn...i just think he had too much offensive talent around to struggle the way he did against teams like georgia tech, lsu, and michigan...granted those are all good teams but michigan state wasn't and it wasn't until late in the game before he started playing good...so i basically am hoping he is gone before the texans pick so he is eliminated from discussion

landry/nelson would be a good choice because there isn't the top tier FS in free agency that we'll be likely to get...ken hamlin is a UFA but i can't see a scenario where seattle lets him go

adams/anderson i personally think we need an adams type DE over the anderson type...while anderson has tremendous talent and potential we already have a strongside DE in mario...we need the best pass rusher we can get and gaines would be that guy

levi brown...i have been on this board in the recent months promoting this guy and stating that i think if peterson isn't available that we should seriously consider this dude...i still stand firm on that

okoye/branch one of them should still be on the board by the time we pick...the decision to take one of them needs to be based off of the type of defense we want to run here...if we want a tampa 2 type defense okoye is the DT we should be coveting...if we want a more traditional 4-3 defense then branch is the guy...either way the problem here is the same with the adams/anderson scenario...while D-line is need for this team how can you justify continuing to take d-lineman first in your drafts 4 times in a row...to me if we go defense i would rather us going after the safties just to changes things up a bit

so to end this rather lengthy response...if peterson is not available i'm in full support of levi brown being the pick due to the lack of talent we have at the LT position and the lack of talent in this years FA along with the lack of talent in this years draft...if not him then one of the top tier safties
Old 02-18-2007   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

At eight their should be a talented guy that can help our team right away.

I would be happy with Landry, Nelson, Okoye, Brown, Lynch, Peterson, Thomas, Anderson, Adams......

That is nine guys that can come in and contribute right away at a good level I would think. Don't think that is too bad a spot.

If we can find a trade down partner, I wouldn't complain either.... make that ten options.
Old 02-18-2007   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Lots of questions.
I'm with LCROD. If you'd like to have one of the 8 players you just named, then take whichever is still there at 8. You named 8 players.
Old 02-18-2007   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lynch or Brown should be there based on how it looks like teams may draft, although with the Cards dumping the LT, Brown may not making it past them now. I doubt AP lasts to 8th. Either is fine by me, but probably lean towards Brown more as I think the O-line is the real issue for the offense, but we still need a good RB and I like the total package that Lynch seems to bring. If we take Lynch, then we need to take an O-line guy with the 2nd. The only reason I say this is that I think we address our Defensive backfield more in FA than early in the draft. If we don't do that then a DB/FS is likely at the 2 spot. If that is the case, then I would expect that we probably picked up someone like Sithcomb (sp) and/or Pettigue for the O-line. Until they make the FA moves there are to many variables to be remotly sure the direction we will go. Heck, if we cut Carr it could be a QB at the 1st pick.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like #8. Like it much better than where we were last year.
We will get a good player, probably an immediate starter and an impact player and yet he won't be a severe cap hit, something we now need to consider more than ever.
And yet we are high enough to be attractive as a tradeing partner where we can pick up additional pick(s).
#8 feels good to me.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #13
Xman
Veteran

lol - last week i posted that i like the #8 spot - pasted below:

First, let me say that I think we need to deal for more picks, but I like our options:

Top 8:
Will be gone (or we take them anyway): WR Calvin Johnson, OT Joe Thomas
(If the WR somehow fell to us, we could clean up on a trade down)

The Other 6:
QB - Brady Quinn - - JaMarcus Russell
Both should be gone, but seriously, if one of them is there then he is Carr's replacement.

DT - Alan Branch JR DT Michigan - Versatile and could play either tackle or end depending on the scheme. (ths guy has gotten some great reviews)
DE - Jamaal Anderson JR Arkansas
DE - Gaines Adams SR Clemson - Sack artist who could rise if he picks up where he left off as a junior.

RB - Adrian Peterson JR RB Oklahoma
[I want him to fall to us - can we be that lucky?]
Terrific physical specimen and a rare player but durability is a concern.

And a couple that could move up during the draft process:
Amobi Okoye SR DT Louisville - Very talented and unique prospect who will be a 20-year-old rookie.
LaRon Landry SR S L.S.U. - Ballhawk who has been extremely productive throughout his career.
OT Levi Brown - I don't think he fits our system and he is probably a RT - so I doubt he is our guy, but things could always change.

At this time, these guys appear to be the top 8 (per most reviews and websites). So, we either get crazy lucky and get our OT, really lucky and get a stud QB, WR or RB, or we just fill our needs along the DL (our DL is going to eat up our cap - but the team seems determined to make it dominant and any of those 3 listed could get it much closer to that level).

So, we will get a stud player at a decent salary. Sounds good.

But, if we did deal, here are some intriguing trade options based on the draft pick value chart (trading up is not suggested but listed for idea of cost):
NE gives picks 24 and 28 for pick 8.
NYJ gives 25, 37 and 89 for pick 8.
GB or Jax could give their first and second (16/17 and 46/47)for pick 8.
Buff or St.L could give their first and third (12/13 and 76/77)for pick 8.
Hou could give first 3 picks (8, 39, 73) for pick 3 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give first 2 picks (8, 39) for pick 4 (Cleve or TB).
Hou could give 39 to Denver for 56 and 88.
Hou could give 8 to Denver for 21, 56, and 70.

So - I love the 8 spot. But, I admit I like the idea of rolling the dice with either of the QBs (sometimes qbs pan out and sometimes they don't, but at 8 the salary is lower and the potential reward is huge).
Even ignoring the qbs, worst case would be a stud safety. So, it is a good spot. And, I remember feeling like we had a bad spot when we drafted Dunta(who i didnt have ranked that high) - so we also have to hope they have more info than us.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

well, russell could very well end up there. lots of people like him. so draft him.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #15
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro View Post
...if we want a more traditional 4-3 defense then branch is the guy...
False, Branch is a 3-4 guy. He is big and can keep blockers off the linebackers. Okoye is your 4-3 and Tampa 2 guy.
Old 02-19-2007   #16
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not be upset if we got Okoye...that dude has tremendous upside and should be a force in the middle for years.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #17
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer
Default Could be a good spot.

At 8, if Quinn is still there, a Quinn-loving GM may make us a great offer for the pick.
I am still firmly "Trade Back"
Old 02-19-2007   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe we can get lucky and some team ahead of us will consult CC and we'll get Russell or Thomas!!!! I'm still firmly hoping we draft BDPA. All the "elite" offensive guys should be gone by #8 and this is a fairly deep draft on the D side of the ball.
Old 02-19-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the worst case scenario for us imo.

Players drafted: 7players drafted ahead of us...
Jamarcus Russell
Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas
Alan Branch
Amobi Okoye
Gaines Adams
Jamaal Anderson

Those are all players i think texans fans would like on our team. So that now leaves the rest for our selection at 8...to name a few...

Brady Quinn
Ted Ginn Jr
Levi Brown
Leon Hall
Darrelle Revis
Laron Landry
Reggie Nelson
Patrick Willis

Depending on what we do in free agency I really think it would come down to Brady Quinn, Levi Brown, Laron Landry, Reggie Nelson (and maybe one of the CB's if they shoot up the boards).

-I can see Kubiak looking at Quinn and thinking how did he fall to us? i can mold him really good and he'll be the best QB in the league in 3 years. so this is the pick
-I can also see Kubiak thinking Levi Brown is the man, he will help our o-line tremendously allowing us to have a running & a passing game. Still unsure of spencer..so this is the pick
-I can also see kubiak thinking well i'm unsure of quinn..lets see about a trade down...it's too high a pick for brown..so lets pick up laron landry..he is solid and will be a great leader in our backfield. having him, demeco, and mario will be amazing...3 really yound...good guys.

There are still some options for us but are very limited. Like i said in a worst case scenario i see us choosing between Quinn, Brown, best Cb, best FS.

what do yall think?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #20
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down and aquire a couple of draft picks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read