Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-17-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2007 Weak-Mediocre Draft with only 3 or 4 Blue-Chippers ?

Last year represented one of the most talented Drafts in atleast the last 10 years. But this year may be just the opposite ?
Jamarcu Russell has one of the most powerful arms to come down the pike in
some time and his upside is steep.
And AD is an awesome back who may be the most "pure runner" to enter the
pros in atleast 5 years, though injuries are a concern.
And probaly the most complete and safest player in the Draft is WR Calvin Johnson, who is very comparable in some ways to the best player on our team, AJ.
But after that, where's the Blue-chippers ?
Joe Thomas seems to be getting high ratings in all the mocks, but perhaps thats an indication of the weakness of this years talent and the importance of his position ?
And would Brady Quinn be drafted higher than #4 among QBs last year ?
The strength of this Draft appears to be in the DLine, but with no true steller
performers among that group IMO ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2007 Weak-Mediocre Draft with only 3 or 4 Blue-Chippers ?

no, joe thomas is the best tackle to come out in many years.

there's some can't-miss once-in-a-lifetime players in this draft. calvin johnson, adrian peterson, joe thomas, amobi okoye, brady quinn...
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post

there's some can't-miss once-in-a-lifetime players in this draft. calvin johnson, adrian peterson, joe thomas, amobi okoye, brady quinn...
I like how you try to slip in "your players" okoye/quinn

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

my players? okay.

okoye is the most physically talented DT to enter the draft since warren sapp. brady quinn is clearly a 5-star prototypical QB. if i wanted to be a fanboy i'd say adam carriker or paul soliai or something.
Old 02-17-2007   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my players? okay.
Well very few are considering Quinn a "can't miss" prospect.

I can't really argue either way for Okoye. All I can say is that he is the best DT prospect in the draft.
Old 02-17-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I can't really argue either way for Okoye. All I can say is that he is the best DT prospect in the draft.
Really ? I like Okoye, but isn't Alan Branch rated higher than Okoye in most mocks ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my players? okay.

okoye is the most physically talented DT to enter the draft since warren sapp. brady quinn is clearly a 5-star prototypical QB. if i wanted to be a fanboy i'd say adam carriker or paul soliai or something.
I know your just praying Brady "Kastofsna Man Crush" Quinn falls to the fish @ #9

personel wise I don't see him really any higher rated than a certain David Carr was in 02. how'd that work out

regarding okoye thats all based on potential. Alan Branch should be rated higher based on his production & considered more of a "cant miss prospect" the jury is still out on Amobi (playing weight/position etc...)

Name: Amobi Okoye
College: Louisville Number: 91
Height: 6-2 Weight: 287
Position: DT Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 5.03 40 Low: 4.95 40 High: 5.10
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 145 DT's 12 / 2339 TOTAL

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-17-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2007   #8
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Really ? I like Okoye, but isn't Alan Branch rated higher than Okoye in most mocks ?
I would say Branch is #1 for a 3-4 and Okoye is #1 for a 4-3.
Old 02-17-2007   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

branch isn't even as good at NT as ngata last year, hardly a can't-miss guy. but as a 3-tech, okoye is the best since sapp.
Old 02-17-2007   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Beerlover, let kastofsna have Quinn. We'll take Okoye.

I know, a lot of people on this MB think we should get Branch, but I just don't think he fits what the Texans are looking for. Branch is a big "space eating" NT suited to the 3-4. Okoye, on the other hand, is a "pass rushing" DT suited to the 4-3. I think there is much more "upside" to Okoye than Branch. If the Texans take Branch in the 1st, I'll be surprised. But, if it comes down to Branch or Quinn, I'd rather they took Branch. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Beerlover, let kastofsna have Quinn. We'll take Okoye.
I'm not letting Katsofsna have anything without a price

we also control the pick before those Sabin-less fins

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-17-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I pretty much agree with you overall assement of this draft class. I think there will be a lot of tallent in rounds two through three. After that it's pretty much which way you like your warts. If the Texans hit on three out of seven this draft, I will be pleased.
Old 02-17-2007   #13
trutxn
Veteran

Quote:
Okoye will be a beast in the NFL, it will take the 19 yr old some time to develop though. He has the same intangibles of a Tommie Harris, if the league is lucky he will play like him. Would be nice to see him play next to Mario.
Old 02-17-2007   #14
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 73838 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
personel wise I don't see him really any higher rated than a certain David Carr was in 02. how'd that work out
Can't say I agree with you on this Beerlover.

Carr received barely a fraction of the acclaim and attention that Quinn has received.

Quinn has been hyped as the next great QB for years now while Carr had one big season.

Perhaps Quinn has lauded so long that people are just jaded towards him already.

I think Quinn has a long fruitful career ahead of him, probably not one of the all time greats, but a winner and a long term starter.

I think his top two inches make him a great prospect not neccesarily the measureables.
Old 02-17-2007   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

This is a much weaker draft class than last years, but then again last years draft was very deep. There is some depth in this draft class though, as others have mentioned there are some very good DL prospects, also there is quite a few quality TEs in this draft as well (Olsen, Miller, Newton, Chandler, Patrick, Spaeth, Herian).

These TEs aren't freaks of nature like Vernon Davis was last year, but they are reliable targets for the QB to find in the passing game. There is also some good depth at LB with guys like Willis, Blades, Siler, Davis, Timmons, Posluszny, Beason, Alexander, Latimer, etc. There aren't nearly as many "can't miss" guys this year as there was last year, but overall it's a middle of the pack draft.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah and the o-line guys aren't bad I like Aaron Sears and Ugoh. I mean they're crdible canidates to come in and make a contribution on someones o-line. They just can't play on the outside left edge at a high level. They're great prospects though. I mean if we didn't have Pitts and Blailock fell to us in round two I think he'd make a heck of a left gaurd or right tackle...we just don't need one.
Old 02-17-2007   #17
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do I need to start a new list of crazy things you've said this year? Quinn won't even be the first qb taken, and he is once in a lifetime?

I swear, if i could put you and hulk75 in a cage match to the death.......

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
Do I need to start a new list of crazy things you've said this year? Quinn won't even be the first qb taken, and he is once in a lifetime?

I swear, if i could put you and hulk75 in a cage match to the death.......
Well since they're both in a cage ... never mind .
Old 02-17-2007   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Still isn't as bad as 2002. It was very unlucky that the Texans had to start out w/ that draft.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #20
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Branch does take play off now and then. That's the only negativity I have heard about him.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read