Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2007   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Restructure or get cut.

Haven't seen this anywhere on here.

From HoustonProFootball.com's front page

According to a report aired by radio station KBME-AM in Houston, the Texans have asked Domanick Williams, Seth Payne, and Kailee Wong to restructure their contracts. Any failure to renegotiate terms with the team before March 2nd, the official start to the new league year, will likely result in that player's release.

The station also added that the Texans are very interested in restructuring the contract of Eric Moulds, but it was unclear from the report as to whether the team might release Moulds if he refused to rework his deal.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/
Old 02-16-2007   #2
old football fan
Veteran

Default Re: Restructure or get cut.

Hate to see Payne and Wong go. Class acts , decent players who are past there prime. I don't care if Williams stays or goes. It wouldn't be much of a lost.
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, it looks like we coud be clearing the decks in order to make a purchase or two.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Payne can be a contributor still, he was our best DT clearly before the injuries hit.

The others I'm not too fussed about.

Hope Moulds restructures he is getting paid far more than what he is contributing.
Old 02-16-2007   #5
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the link. I had a feeling something like this would happen to some of the players, especially DD/DW and Payne. I can't really see either one coming back. At least not for the Texans. It's too bad to, they were both pretty good players before their injuries. It'll be interesting to see what they do. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seth might still have some value, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of the three go.
Old 02-16-2007   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that we are willing to cut Payne tells me that DT is VERY high on our priority list this offseason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2007   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
The fact that we are willing to cut Payne tells me that DT is VERY high on our priority list this offseason.
Payne is old and coming off a pretty serious injury.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #9
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

According to a report aired by radio station KBME-AM in Houston, the Texans have asked Domanick Williams, Seth Payne, and Kailee Wong to restructure their contracts. Any failure to renegotiate terms with the team before March 2nd, the official start to the new league year, will likely result in that player's release.

The station also added that the Texans are very interested in restructuring the contract of Eric Moulds, but it was unclear from the report as to whether the team might release Moulds if he refused to rework his deal.

We don't need them anyway. But, I do think we could find some half-wit GM out there that will give us a draft pick for DW.
Old 02-17-2007   #10
SamuraiSword
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 SamuraiSword is a Pro BowlerSamuraiSword is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Its kinda funny that they didn't ask Carr to restructure his contract as well.......
Old 02-17-2007   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Payne and Wong would be very missed players. And like a poster above, DT is a high priority at this specific moment whether people like it or not. Rick Smith's first failure was letting Robaire Smith go. Big whoops.

Williams and Moulds on the other hand, would be huge losses for this franchise. We all saw what happened to the Texans when Domanick gets hurt, and the fantastic year that Andre had. In my opinion, this is our priority...to figure a way out to get Domanick back at a cheaper rate...and somehow to keep Moulds.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #12
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Keep Moulds. Let payne, wong, and williams restructure, or get cut.
Old 02-17-2007   #13
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Payne and Wong would be very missed players. And like a poster above, DT is a high priority at this specific moment whether people like it or not. Rick Smith's first failure was letting Robaire Smith go. Big whoops.

Williams and Moulds on the other hand, would be huge losses for this franchise. We all saw what happened to the Texans when Domanick gets hurt, and the fantastic year that Andre had. In my opinion, this is our priority...to figure a way out to get Domanick back at a cheaper rate...and somehow to keep Moulds.

Robaire Smith had a pretty big contract. He was cut because we're trying to rebuild, and unfortunately, when you do that, you can't keep everybody you'd like to...strictly because of salary cap reasons.
Old 02-17-2007   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Payne is old and coming off a pretty serious injury.
yes and despite that he is STILL the best DT we have.. and we are seriously hurting at that position. A willingness to get rid of him says to me that we intend to focus on that position this offseason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Rick Smith's first failure was letting Robaire Smith go. .
Sometimes I wonder ...

Beemer or no Beemer, Robaire was an overpaid, bad attitude, oft injured, show up for two games a year tub of goo who took advantage of our inept former GM to the tune of a 6 year, $30 million dollar contract. He was a necessary purge and I was glad to see him go.

Robaire's fate may have been sealed on the first day of training camp last summer when Kubiak called him out for fighting..... "I don't care who you are, if that happens again, you're out of here" were Kubiak's exact words to Robaire at the end of the practice. Flanagan was also involved but Kubak's ire was directed at Smith. I have reason to believe that Robaire rubbed off on TJ in a bad way and that he wasn't a good guy to have around younger players. Kubiak, Smith and the coaches saw it and did what they had to do, and they did it quickly.

Robaire is part of the troika of worst contract signings in club history along with Walker's ridiculous extension and Wade's ridiculous 30 million dollar FA deal.

Anthony Maddox is twice the player Robaire Smith was... for 1/20 the money.

Last edited by aj.; 02-17-2007 at 06:34 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wong is all the way back from his ACL injury, I'd like to see him restructure and stay. He'd be good depth and a good veteran presence. If he won't restructure, been nice knowin' ya. IMO, Payne is snakebit, good player or not. Williams will NOT be back. As the article stated, there is another "undisclosed setback" with his rehab. It's called a chronic condition. Short of a miracle, his knee will never be the same. I want Moulds to stay. I think he's been a good influence on the team, as whole. This FO seems to know exactly what they want in a player and they aren't afraid to clean house. Maybe we can get out of salary cap hell as quickly as the thumbtacks did. I don't think we'll see ridiculous FA signings of players past their prime like the prvious regime did.
Old 02-17-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Robaire is part of the troika of worst contract signings in club history along with Walker's ridiculous extension and Wade's ridiculous 30 million dollar FA deal.
You're right about those 3, they were definitely overpaid except that among them atleast Walker was talented and very productive at times when he wasn't in sick bay.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #18
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I stand oppossed to too much dissin of Gary Walker.

Quote:
"Now they can go back to Dallas and have a hard-knock life," said Texans defensive end Gary Walker, the only former Oiler on the squad. "We ruined their season."
Old 02-17-2007   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
I stand oppossed to too much dissin of Gary Walker.[/IMG]

I stand opposed to giving players ridiculous contract extensions when they are obviously on the down side of their careers. The Texans clearly panicked when they re-signed Walker to that deal.

Walker earned his Pro Bowl the year that picture was taken. He was great that year.

But that was about it -- in terms of return on value for what he was earning. Walker hasn't played a down for the Texans in two years but we're still paying for it in dead money on the cap.

It's funny that picture is still making the rounds. I scanned that image in from my paper Chronicle years ago.

Last edited by aj.; 02-17-2007 at 11:13 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #20
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I stand opposed to giving players ridiculous contract extensions when they are obviously on the down side of their careers.

Walker earned his Pro Bowl the year that picture was taken.

That was about it.

It's funny that picture is still making the rounds. I scanned that image in from my paper Chronicle years ago.
Really?

Well damn! Thank you.

That was my wallpaper for pretty much all of 2002 and into 2003.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read