Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-16-2007   #1
KJ3

Default What If We Traded...

Andre Johnson? surely we would pick up a couple of picks for him right?

and in all reality, i wouldn't want to trade him but...if it worked out well enough to make the team better...would you do it?
Old 02-16-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What If We Traded...

no...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post

and in all reality, i wouldn't want to trade him but...if it worked out well enough to make the team better...would you do it?

No! I'm not a big fan of the dropped ball syndrom that he suffered from this season,but if we got rid of Dre who are we going to throw to? I think that the best thing to do is quit making Andre the first read and spread the ball around more,get it Moulds,Mathis or whoever. Once the coverage loosens up on Andre then you hit him on the deep ball or the 27 yard pick up(Colts game for a field goal) JMO!
Old 02-16-2007   #4
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Under the premise of a good trade has to hurt for it to be a good trade, I thought about posting a similar thread around the Pro Bowl. Kudos to you for having the stones to do so. I did not.

AJ is one of the guys I have a man-crush on, by the way. He is a solid contributor and leader on our team. I do not want to trade him.

What spurred the thought was a posting that I saw from someone (cannot recall whom) wanting us to trade our #8 to NE for their 2 first rounders. I did not think that NE would bite at this.

Nor do I think NE would be interested in, nor should the Texans offer, AJ for the 2 first rounders. But, just for argument's sake:

AJ is proven receiver. NE needs a receiver since Branch's departure.
AJ is a pro-bowler.
Texans have lots of holes to fill.

I still say no way to this trade scenario. AJ is a big component of our team. I would need something more in return (pretending I am the GM). I just don't see it happening. Which is part of the reason I shied about from the original post. Again, kudos to you for having the guts to broach the topic.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #5
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had a capable QB, AJ would be the best receiver in the game...He is barely gonna enter his prime...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, under one condition, Oakland takes him for the #1 pick and the Texans can select Calvin Johnson.
Old 02-16-2007   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Yes, under one condition, Oakland takes him for the #1 pick and the Texans can select Calvin Johnson.
Then you'd be essentially be trading Andre for an unproven rookie.

Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2007   #8
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
that will never happen!!! And why whan another reciever that hasent proven himself at the NFL level when you already have a pro bowler
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #9
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Then you'd be essentially be trading Andre for an unproven rookie.

Andre is definately worth a pretty penny on the NFL market, but what could possibly justify trading, who could quite possibly be, the most elite receiver in the NFL just to create yet another hole to fill.

I concurr.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Does a guy that is supposedly a quarterback away from being the premier receiver drop as many balls as AJ??

He needs to work on his own game to get to that next level, not just have a change of QB.

As for the trade, I would look at a good enough offer.

WR in my opinion is a pretty low priority on a football team. Look what the potent Chiefs offenses have done with nobodies for wide outs, not to mention the Patriots last year.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Then after that we can trade DeMeco Ryans for a mid 1st round pick so we can draft Patrick Willis.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #12
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Then Mario for the 4th pick so we can get Jammal Andersson...

AJ is one of the few pieces of our offense that is in place. We need to build around him.
Old 02-16-2007   #13
htownfoozball
Veteran

id trade aj to NE...for chad jackson + 2 1st picks and their 2nd and 3rd.

chad jackson
3 1st rounders
2 2nds
2 3rds

1st brown OT, willis LB, houston CB
2nd meriweather FS, bush RB
3rd brown DT, jacoby jones WR

get that franchise left tackle and a demeco clone in willis. grab a dunta-esque player in houston. meriweather rounds out the secondary and grab michael bush to be our feature back (unless his injury is cause for concern). take brown to play next to mario and pick jones to be our 3rd WR and groomed to take over for moulds when he leaves/retires.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #14
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:

Not long ago I posted a similar thread and got run out of town also. I think AJ is a great receiver but his contract expires after 2 more seasons. My thoughts were where will the team be realistically in 2009? He has been pro bowler 2 of 3 years & no reason to doubt a 1 of 2 at least next 2 seasons. If you were Andre's agent would you not be smacking your lips to test that free agent market? So do you ride him for two years and hope you put enough together to do without him in 09? Do you break the bank to resign him as a restricted F/A? Moulds will also be gone and Mathis may not be on roster at end of this season. Most do not have us selecting a receiver in first 5 rounds this year & I do not want to hear about Anderson who has done nothing to break into top 3 w/r. And for every 7th round starter (N.O.) you have 20 that do not. Personally I keep AJ and draft for his position in 08 and/or 09. If we draft well this year we could resolve rb, ot, Lb and possibly a QB. We should be able to get one of the top two corners in F/A.
Old 02-16-2007   #15
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone wants to see AJ leave. And, I'd be even more upset to lose DeMeco Ryans. But with that said, I don't see that they or any other players are so indispensible that they absolutely could not be traded. It would have to be a ridiculously good trade (from our side), but I'd consider it.

I was a Cowboys fan when the Herschel Walker trade happened. At the time, I hated the idea of losing the one "star" player on the team, the one I thought the team should build around, etc. But, the deal ended up making a huge difference in the Cowboys' ability to become and stay competetive for Super Bowls. If losing AJ (or someone else) meant that the Texans would have a good shot at competing for Super Bowls for years to come, I'd certainly take it.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
so it seems like if we got a good enough deal for him...most of the people would take it. but "good enough deal" is a pretty broad-ass phrase...what exactly would be good enough? and uh...chad jackson isn't all that great AND he plays for the bengals...but nice try, better luck next time dude.

i think if new england wanted him, i would take their 2 first rounders. maybe try to sneak an o-lineman away from them too.
And then who are your receivers? Moulds?That is one way he could become a '1' again.
Old 02-16-2007   #17
texans83
All Pro

Quote:
so it seems like if we got a good enough deal for him...most of the people would take it. but "good enough deal" is a pretty broad-ass phrase...what exactly would be good enough? and uh...chad jackson isn't all that great AND he plays for the bengals...but nice try, better luck next time dude.

i think if new england wanted him, i would take their 2 first rounders. maybe try to sneak an o-lineman away from them too.
I would consider that
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Then after that we can trade DeMeco Ryans for a mid 1st round pick so we can draft Patrick Willis.
Nope, Johnson is better than TO and Moss, Willis does not have those kind of credentials.
Old 02-16-2007   #19
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Then Mario for the 4th pick so we can get Jammal Andersson...

AJ is one of the few pieces of our offense that is in place. We need to build around him.
Calvin is an upgrade to AJ, Jamaal is not an upgrade to Mario.
Old 02-16-2007   #20
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
no...
Not only NO, But HELL NO...

Why would you even post such an ignorant suggestion? Just to be posting I guess... Ignorant Post number 10,199

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read