Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2007   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Sherman's Actual Value?

Has anyone else been surprised in the level (or lack) of interest in Mike Sherman this offseason?
Considering the number of HC vacancies, the list of guys who have been interviewed for various jobs, and the guys who have actually been hired as HCs, I would have expected Sherman to have garnered more interest than he has.
In all honesty, I (and I think others) expected Sherman to be a HC somewhere at this point.
Is it possible that we, on the whole, have been over valuing Sherman? I'm starting to get that feeling myself...

p.s. Don't take this as a knock on Sherman. I'm basically just surprised he's still here...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Sherman's Actual Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Has anyone else been surprised in the level (or lack) of interest in Mike Sherman this offseason?
Considering the number of HC vacancies, the list of guys who have been interviewed for various jobs, and the guys who have actually been hired as HCs, I would have expected Sherman to have garnered more interest than he has.
In all honesty, I (and I think others) expected Sherman to be a HC somewhere at this point.
Is it possible that we, on the whole, have been over valuing Sherman? I'm starting to get that feeling myself...
He had the HC job in Arizona sewn up. He just asked for too much money.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I think it benefits a candidate to have many interviews thus keeping his name active. Sherman is waiting for the right opportunity. For now, I am glad he is back with Htown
Old 02-16-2007   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps he really enjoys Houston and the organization. Work/life balance is a huge benefit that many do not understand until they enter the prime time of their professional careers.
Old 02-16-2007   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Or just get a life....or a job.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherm did hisself a disfavor for demanding 4.5 mil from Zona. When a vacancy comes up the thought is Sherm wants 4.5 mil let's see who else we can talk to first for about half that amount. Note that all the new coaching gigs are for less than 4.5 mil.
Old 02-16-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Or just get a life....or a job.
That is the antithesis of my statment.
Old 02-16-2007   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Good point.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #9
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Sherm did hisself a disfavor for demanding 4.5 mil from Zona. When a vacancy comes up the thought is Sherm wants 4.5 mil let's see who else we can talk to first for about half that amount. Note that all the new coaching gigs are for less than 4.5 mil.
maybe it was because somebody who had never coached a snap in the NFL received a fat contract that will pay him an average of 4.8 mil annually over five years (bobby petrino).
Old 02-16-2007   #10
Samkonfan
Rookie

I think personally he knows it going to be hard to win in Arizona so I'll come and get my butt handed to me for 4.5 million dollars other than that I don't want the job. So it might have been pretty smart to try and demand too much. a win win situation!
Samkonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkonfan View Post
I think personally he knows it going to be hard to win in Arizona so I'll come and get my butt handed to me for 4.5 million dollars other than that I don't want the job. So it might have been pretty smart to try and demand too much. a win win situation!
How is it going to be hard? They have two pro bowl receivers, an up and coming franchise qb, a pro bowl running back, and a top five pick in this years draft where they should be able to fill up a major need. Arizona is going to be a very good team in the next few years.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
How is it going to be hard? They have two pro bowl receivers, an up and coming franchise qb, a pro bowl running back, and a top five pick in this years draft where they should be able to fill up a major need. Arizona is going to be a very good team in the next few years.

Every year, Arizona is going to be one of the new hot teams, and every year, they suck. There's some sort of curse there.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #13
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Kaiser I just wanted to remind you that just because your head is pointed doesnt mean your sharp!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 58259 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not positive I'm happy that Sherman is still here. I think his style conflicts with Kubiaks and creates confusion on the line. I don't think he's a bad coach at all, just two different systems of O-line play is not good when you have the level of talent we have. Does Kubes and Sherman have any personality/HC "style" clashes during practice? I'm never in Houston, so I never get to attend practices.
Old 02-16-2007   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Every year, Arizona is going to be one of the new hot teams, and every year, they suck. There's some sort of curse there.
yes, sir.

It's taken me a few years to come to this conclusion, but I now concur.
Old 02-16-2007   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not positive I'm happy that Sherman is still here. I think his style conflicts with Kubiaks and creates confusion on the line. I don't think he's a bad coach at all, just two different systems of O-line play is not good when you have the level of talent we have. Does Kubes and Sherman have any personality/HC "style" clashes during practice? I'm never in Houston, so I never get to attend practices.
I think if Kubes clashed he would not have upgraded Sherman's position.
Old 02-16-2007   #17
americastayawayfrommywomb
Rookie

I am a little surprised that his name has not come up but I think the league is moving towards a youth trend in hiring head coaches. I also think teams are looking for new guys more then the coaches that have been there before. Lovie Smith and Sean Payton made it to the NFC championship game this year and this is their first head coaching job in the league.
Old 02-16-2007   #18
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona has poor ownership. That is why they have not been a noteworthy team in....forever. Perhaps Sherman asked for 4.5 million because he thought that is the least he would take if he was going to put himself in such a precarious position.

Whatever the case.. im glad we have him..he is a great coach, and I dont doubt that, if he wants it, he will get an HC job somewhere.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #19
West Texas Texan
Rookie

This is probably one of the best times for a potential head coach to be interviewing, due to the number of HC jobs available right now. He isn't being considered because of his coaching style.

Owners are finding out that there are more than one way to coach the high priced, prima donna athletes. The old school mentality of managing through fear and intimidation doesn't work these days (the boys are making too much money). Those of us who manage know that this is the weakest form of management style. I understand the need for discipline, but there is a difference between demanding excellence and getting nit-picky just to show that you're in charge. Any of you have a boss similar to this?

Sherman was moved up because the OC job is more connected with the other coaches, and not directly with the players. The OC brings the WR, RB and OL schemes together. This gets Sherman away from the one on one contact with the players (somewhat).

Kubes still calls the O plays from the field, unless he doesn't "see" something from the sideline. then the OC in the booth has his chance. I think the OL play will be better with Sherman in the booth. It will be interesting to see the relationship develop from this standpoint, as Shermans' ego won't allow for him to sit in the booth and not call the plays. I think us getting Sherman was a matter of the coaching talent pool that was available to the first time head coach, who I think needed a "backup" who had prior HC experience to help him through his first season. Now that that is done, I think Kubes will further his presence with the team, management and the fans this year. Remember, he too was a rookie this past season.

The great news is that the players are rallying around Kubes, which is the most important thing. Many are already calling him a players' coach, which tells me they are buying into his philosophies.
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The same things were said about the Saints and the Bengels.

The problem the Cards had was their Oline, they fix that and they are going to win alot of games.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read