Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-16-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Saints in NOLA still face big problems

Still, about a quarter of the stadium’s luxury suites are unoccupied (they are all in various stages of construction), and naming rights to the Superdome are unsold.

“We’re financially viable,” said Dennis Lauscha, the team’s chief financial officer. “We have two big problems, a facility problem and a market problem. If you fix both, you’ll have strong viability.”

The Saints face formidable obstacles. Not the least is whether local and state governments, with enormous rebuilding priorities, can, or should, help finance a new stadium or let Benson move elsewhere. After Katrina struck, Benson was reportedly interested in moving the team to San Antonio, where it played several home games during the 2005 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/17/sp...f1c3d0&ei=5070
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #2
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP
Default Re: The Saints in NOLA still face big problems

I hate for NO to lose, what seems to be, the next up and coming franchise in the NFL. But, on the other hand, I would love for the Saints to go to San Antonio.

I am die hard Texans through and through, but I also tend to route for the next closest home team come play off time (Cowboys). This would be a nice addition to our state.

In all honesty though, I think someone will step forward and help NO keep their franchise.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Problem is, if the Saints come to SA, I'll never see the Texans again. It'll be like the New Orleans Texans to me. :brickwall

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I think the Saints would go to LA over San Antonio.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
They may not have a choice.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #6
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
LOL, three year old article.

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
How about this one?

Quote:
Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007 | When the Chargers first began their push for a new stadium, two words loomed large over the entire debate: Los Angeles. The city, long without professional football, appeared to be fully in the throes of pursuing a new football stadium.

The threat posed by the nation's second-largest media market seemed real. So real, in fact, it dominated conversation and spurred the city of San Diego to renegotiate the team's lease because of the possibility of the team negotiating with Los Angeles.
Quote:
Many in the industry believe NFL owners want an expansion team, not a relocation, to come to Los Angeles so they can share what is expected to be a $1 billion franchise fee. The fee, paid by a prospective owner to bring a new league into the team, is divvied up among the league's other owners.
What's changed since then? They still don't know if they'll have a team relocate there or put an expansion team there.

Make no mistake about it. The NFL wants a franchise in the 2nd largest city in the US. They'll get it come hell or high water.

Last edited by Mr. White; 02-16-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanskan View Post
Yeah it is an old article but it still applies. Remember, how the NFL did just about anything to give an expansion to LA over Houston? It still holds true, that they will try to get a team there regardless if the people in LA want it there or not.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #9
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Being drafted by the Saints was Reggie Bushs' best chance to play footbal in LA again. Even thought LA is apathetic when it comes to proball, I think the fans would support a team that had a former trojan great.
Old 02-16-2007   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

well looking at Forbes,
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/...ns_Rank_2.html

New Orleans is the only team with a negative operating income.

Looking at Bob's billion dollars, maybe Houston should let the Saints play in the Astrodome to share some of our market.
Old 02-16-2007   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I have to agree with this, but not just because the NFL wants a team in the 2nd largest market. I think Jerry Jones would try to block any move to San Antonio because of the large market/fan base of Cowboy fans he has there.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Problem is, if the Saints come to SA, I'll never see the Texans again. It'll be like the New Orleans Texans to me. :brickwall
It's not like you're seeing them now (if you live outside of Houston). Actually, since the Saints are an NFC team they would bump the Cowboys. So in Austin, Sundays would be the Saints and Titans every week. The Cowboys fans here would love that.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

San Antonio is a nice city and all, but no way in hell they land the Saints. So many different factors go into this. They are a market like Jacksonville. Jacksonville puts tarps their stadium to avoid blackouts. SA doesn't have the disposably income that is really needed to support the NFL long-term. Also, corporate sponshorship. Once the newness of the team wears off, that will be a finacially struggling franchise.

Los Angeles has all of that, so the NFL wouldn't pass up an area of 20 million for 1.8 million San Antonio's area.

Regardless, I would like the Saints to stay in New Orleans, but that city doesn't have its priorities right, so they might lose them.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #14
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...html?mod=blogs

just tagging this one on to this story because of a trend in sports. The article talks mostly about baseball, but I am pretty sure it applies to football too.

No doubt it is also a factor in NOLA's rebuilding strategy
Old 02-19-2007   #15
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull View Post
How about this one?

What's changed since then? They still don't know if they'll have a team relocate there or put an expansion team there.

Make no mistake about it. The NFL wants a franchise in the 2nd largest city in the US. They'll get it come hell or high water.
Sure they will. Eventually. But I doubt it will be anytime soon enough to land the Saints. By the time some sort of stadium resolution is come up with in L.A., the Saints will likely either have extended their lease with the state or have packed up elsewhere.

Fact of the matter is that L.A. isn't really that high of a priority right now for the NFL. Here's an article from just before the Super Bowl. Touches on a few of the Commish's views as it pertains to the NFL in L.A.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_5148994
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #16
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

I think the Saints are off the hook now too. The PR disaster that would come from moving the Saints would make it silly. I don't think the other owners will go for it.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/artic...gers021507.txt

Jerry Jones effect.
Quote:
Rascher, the economist, said NFL owners are now seeing the success Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had in getting local cities there to compete against each other. Voters in the city of Arlington eventually approved a tax increase to contribute $325 million to the project. Rascher noted that the same approach is being used by the owner of the 49ers in San Francisco.
Goodell has to do something with NFL Network and the targets they have set for coverage... which is a whole another debate with cable companies and sat tv outfits. ( and the recent revolts from private enterprise journalism )

The franchise fee of a billion dollars for two new clubs is a mighty big check for most of the owners ( and would double/triple their normal profits made )

Toronto and LA are the latest targets that I have seen. ( with the idea that the Toronto club would be marketed as the face of all of Canada )

Mexico City has been scorned because of the distance and the safety concerns ( but only by a handful of economists ).

EDIT:
Also whatever happened to Terry Bradshaw buying the Saints?

Last edited by TwinSisters; 02-19-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add question
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints need to stay in New Orleans.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #18
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters View Post
EDIT:
Also whatever happened to Terry Bradshaw buying the Saints?
I don't think Bradshaw and his group of backers (James Davison, a major trucking mogul out of Ruston, La being one of them) ever really got out of the stage of preliminary talks to attempt to buy the team. Benson wasn't selling, but I think that just the effort put forth by Bradshaw kind of brought to the forefront the fact that if Benson were to try and take the team elsewhere, there was someone willing to put up the money to buy the team to keep it in the region (there were rumors at the time that the league may strongarm Benson into selling to someone with proper financial resources to avoid the ensuing PR nightmare). Obviously, Bradshaw wouldn't have done this if he felt he were going to lose major money, but I think his primary objective was to keep the franchise in New Orleans and bring some stability, which (at least for the time being) is the case.

I really wish the whole "Swap T.B. for T.B." thing would have come to fruition, as it would have eased everyone's minds considerably concerning the long-term future of our team. But I think in reality it was kind of a pipe dream all along.
Old 02-19-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be a travesty if the Saints were no longer in New Orleans.

I understand business and economics, but that doesn't make it right. If (and maybe when) they do move, it would reveal that the NFL no longer cares about their much heralded traditions as much as they care about the almighty dollar. Profit is an important part of things, but I see a time in the future when the average fan is priced out of enjoying professional sports.
Old 02-19-2007   #20
jlam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It would be a travesty if the Saints were no longer in New Orleans.

I understand business and economics, but that doesn't make it right. If (and maybe when) they do move, it would reveal that the NFL no longer cares about their much heralded traditions as much as they care about the almighty dollar. Profit is an important part of things, but I see a time in the future when the average fan is priced out of enjoying professional sports.
Unfortunately I think that if the Saints were to end up moving, it will ultimately be out of the NFL's hands when it happens. To this point the NFL has done nothing but twist every arm possible to keep the Saints where they are, and I couldn't be more satisfied with what Tagliabue and Goodell have said publicly concerning the subject (although that IS publicly).

I fear that if things were to go South, it will be due to greedy ownership/management and poor leadership at the state level. Benson appears to have, at least temporarily, backed off of his pre-Katrina stadium demands, realizing that the only real short-term (5 years and in) is the Superdome. There is an out-clause in our current lease agreement with the state that has to be exercised by March 31 I believe where if the team chooses to do so, it may pay $70 million and walk, but if not, they are here until 2010. I highly doubt that our current governor, Kathleen Blanco, will be re-elected, and some have suggested that she is a major hanging point in the negotiations between the team and the state. Many think that she is content with just making sure the Saints don't leave under her watch, leaving the long-term problem for someone else to deal with.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read