Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2007   #1
whiskeyrbl

Default Carrs future on NFL Network

Coming on in a few minutes, they are ganna talk about Carrs future with the Texans or someone else.
Old 02-16-2007   #2
whiskeyrbl

Default Re: Carrs future on NFL Network

Mostly talked about Carrs inconsistinency based on 250 sacks and having 4 different OC in 5 years. Said he would probably excell on a new team with better players around him but think Houston should keep him and let him play with the same offense.
Old 02-16-2007   #3
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1265 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Im starting to get tired of everyone getting my hopes up, I think I will stop reading any posts about he who will remain nameless untill he is settled with.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Mostly talked about Carrs inconsistinency based on 250 sacks and having 4 different OC in 5 years. Said he would probably excell on a new team with better players around him but think Houston should keep him and let him play with the same offense.

Somebody help me here .

Palmer 02, 03, 04, some of 05.

Pendry some of 05

Kubiak 06

Palmer has been there 3 out of 5 years ... it's not like they change each year .
Old 02-16-2007   #5
real

When I watched NFL network last night they talked about how he still expects to get hit in the pocket because of all the sacks he took his first couple years. They showed two plays.

The first one was against the Giants. We were in shotgun formation, 3 wide. They hike the ball, a free blitzer is coming from his backside. The slot reciever was wide open for about a two mississippi count, David hesitated and didn't throw the ball to him, the reciever ended up running into coverage, and David gets sacked, and fumbles.

The next play they showed he was under center againts the Patriots. The ball was hiked, David takes his drop. The line had good protection. There was plenty of room to step up into the pocket. (Yes....one of those things people around here claim they have never seen...) But instead, David feels some imaginary presure and tries to avoid nothing, throws off his back foot, and subsequently it's an interception.

It may not be Davids fault that he's shell shocked, but he needs some time to think it over.
Old 02-16-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Somebody help me here .

Palmer 02, 03, 04, some of 05.

Pendry some of 05

Kubiak 06

Palmer has been there 3 out of 5 years ... it's not like they change each year .
Actually, isn't it:

Palmer: 02, 03, 04, some of 05
Pendry: rest of 05
Calhoun: 06
Sherman: 07

That would at least work out to 4 in 5 years... just not the way that they hinted at it.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Actually, isn't it:

Palmer: 02, 03, 04, some of 05
Pendry: rest of 05
Calhoun: 06
Sherman: 07

That would at least work out to 4 in 5 years... just not the way that they hinted at it.
Isn't that 3 coordinators in the first 5 seasons. Sherman doesn't count yet..
Damn, I'm confused...
Old 02-16-2007   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I just watched something on espn...and 3 out of 3 said it would be really stupid for us to get rid of Carr. I have talked to a lot of football coaches personally, and they agree...the only people who think we should get rid of carr, is just the average fans.

Wonder what the organization will do...
Old 02-16-2007   #9
texans83
All Pro

I say we keep him but what do I know im just a average fan, well die hard fan rather. But I think if he didnt show us anything next year give him the boot. I just want to win as does everyone else on here so what ever gets us wins ill be happy
texans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they reported that Carr's problems are everyone else's fault but his.

If 3 out of 3 'experts' say that we should keep him and would be stupid to let him go, then they must think he's worth a lot on the market. And by "a lot", I mean a 4th round draft pick.
Old 02-16-2007   #11
DarkNinja
Veteran

When is this butt-of-all-NFL-jokes-franchise-Texans-organization is going to learn from its mistakes?
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
I just watched something on espn...and 3 out of 3 said it would be really stupid for us to get rid of Carr. I have talked to a lot of football coaches personally, and they agree...the only people who think we should get rid of carr, is just the average fans.

Do you play for Clements ?
Old 02-16-2007   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If the Texans keep Carr and the same problems persist, then maybe average fans know more than these coaches you have talked to?

Besides, Smith and Kubiak are not sold Carr, otherwise they wouldn't be shopping him.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
The thing that hurt me most last year.. was the records set against us; making their QB's look champs of NFL. When a rookie comes in and takes over the defense, what does that say. Hell, his 1st year lead the team in everything. 5 yrs, and a rookie is our outstanding player.I'm happy we got him.. but how sad was the team before he came.
I think it states that the life of the team started over last year .

Hopefully it's something to build on .
Old 02-16-2007   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, you should watch more shows then. I've seen lots of opinions both ways on ESPN and the NFL network.

I think a lot of people (analysts and coaches) just haven't watched the tapes of our games. They remember Carr from his college days and from the first year with the Texans when there was no offensive line and they assume that it's still the same problem: the line.

But the line was functioning fine this past year. It was not the trainwreck that some people make it out to be. It wasn't great. There were some occasional whiffs that happen to average lines. It could be improved. But it wasn't the problem.

It's like in the examples the NFL Network showed, Carr goes back, has plenty of protection and time and then, because he's afraid he's going to get hit, he either makes the wrong read, throws with poor mechanics, or panics and pulls the ball down and DOES get sacked because of indecision. If you're on a three step drop and you're supposed to get the ball out when your back foot hits and you bring the ball back down and start dancing around, the sack is on YOU not on the line.

In the Browns game, he locked onto AJ, misread and thought that the linebacker was going to go with the tightend (instead of sitting in a zone), missed the tightend going free on the crossing pattern, and then forces the ball to AJ. The LB tips the ball up and it's picked off in the red zone. He had PLENTY of time for that throw. There was no pressure.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

uh.. You're darn right it would be stupid to get rid of Carr now. We should have done it last year, when there were three franchise QBs available in the first round of last year's draft, & Bruce Gradkowski hanging around in the 6th.

But no... we payed a guy $8 million not knowing if he was worth it or not. I'm sorry, that would be wrong. We awarded him an $8 mil bonus, plus a $5.25 million salary. $13.25 million that's $13,250,000.00 for one year(if we cut him).

There's no way that can come across, as not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
That's true all over the NFL. The 1st. the fans jump on is the QB. Here is just the same old stuff.. but Capers got the axe, along with C.C. Until we control the line, both Defense and Offense.. We won't be winners.
The first thing?? Where have you been?? this has been building for 5 years. People criticizing the play of David Carr have been ostracized by the Cali Mafia, and the Texans Homers for the past 4 years.
Old 02-16-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's easy. If the FO thinks the best decision for the long term success of the organization is to cut or trade carr they will do it. If they think it's either too late to do that or think it's not in the best interest...they won't cut/trade him.

We as fans are tired of the W/L record of our team and some of the questionable decision making Carr has made over the years. But just releasing him or trading him because we're tired of it may be a dumb move financially at this point as thunderkyss alluded to.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big Plummer guy, I don't think he'll be that much better than Carr. But I'm not a big fan of David Carr either specially after the season he had. Granted DC didn't have great protection, but at some point a qb has to start showing some maturity, some development, but he regressed. He fundamentals are messed up and you don't need to be a football coach to see that. He just doesn't look like a guy who can lead a team anymore. Given all that I would keep Carr because it's going to cost us money if we let him go and I don't think we'll get back a fair value in a trade. All I ask from the Texans FO this offseason is to bring in some real competition at the qb spot.
Old 02-16-2007   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
uh.. You're darn right it would be stupid to get rid of Carr now. We should have done it last year, when there were three franchise QBs available in the first round of last year's draft, & Bruce Gradkowski hanging around in the 6th.

But no... we payed a guy $8 million not knowing if he was worth it or not. I'm sorry, that would be wrong. We awarded him an $8 mil bonus, plus a $5.25 million salary. $13.25 million that's $13,250,000.00 for one year(if we cut him).

There's no way that can come across, as not stupid.

The first thing?? Where have you been?? this has been building for 5 years. People criticizing the play of David Carr have been ostracized by the Cali Mafia, and the Texans Homers for the past 4 years.
Oh, stop crying about all the "different factions" of Carr supporters.

I think 98% of us (minus Kaiser Toro, Hook 'Em, SWTBound, and Vinny) have gone back and forth as to what we think of Carr. You, especially, said you (a) had Carr's back...and then after the draft you (b) criticized him all day long, every day and then you (c) said OK, OK I agree he should be given a shot, and now you are (d) back on the "Look at all the franchise QBs we passed on" boo-hoo-hoo stuff. I've been there, too, and it's a place we all live at from time to time. I have gone back and forth on DC a lot, as well.

Let's be fair; however, and understand that it's human nature to wish for someone to rise up and do well--We all, with the exception of a few here, felt that David might have a chance at redemption this past season. There's no shame in that, is there? If DC is a decent guy (as it appears he is) shouldn't the main emphasis of all this talk be about how we hope he can do well somewhere else? But instead, in our selfishness, we only care about ridding the team of someone. And some may argue that DC was selfish for taking thoe bonus money, fo rnot re-working the contract etc., but we are all feeding the beast of entertainment by watching the NFL and actively propping it up. We're all involved in this bloody mess together, IMO.

So let's stop acting like DC (or any other Texans player for that matter) is just some cog in the wheel of our sports fantasy lives...let's understand that he was given a shot this season, it didn't really work out, and the Texans organization tried to do what it felt was the best thing to do. But because it DIDN'T work out doesn't mean it was stupid.

It was as stupid as guessing either heads or tails on a coin flip.

DC will land in Minnesota or Tampa Bay. And then we'll all have to find a new Texans player to become the goat of this franchise. It's human nature. Plummer would do no better or worse, IMO, than DC. Jeff Garcia would also not do as well here. It's been said, and it's true: We don't have enough talent in all areas to really be a great team right now.

20 years went by before Chicago landed back into the Super Bowl. And we're griping about our condition in only 5 seasons worth of Texans football. We would need to go 15 more years to truly understand what it's like to be a suffering fan for an NFL team.

Yikes.

Go Texans!

We'll get it right eventually.
Old 02-16-2007   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
Oh, stop crying about all the "different factions" of Carr supporters.

I think 98% of us (minus Kaiser Toro, Hook 'Em, SWTBound, and Vinny) have gone back and forth as to what we think of Carr. You, especially, said you (a) had Carr's back...and then after the draft you (b) criticized him all day long, every day and then you (c) said OK, OK I agree he should be given a shot, and now you are (d) back on the "Look at all the franchise QBs we passed on" boo-hoo-hoo stuff. I've been there, too, and it's a place we all live at from time to time. I have gone back and forth on DC a lot, as well.

Let's be fair; however, and understand that it's human nature to wish for someone to rise up and do well--We all, with the exception of a few here, felt that David might have a chance at redemption this past season. There's no shame in that, is there? If DC is a decent guy (as it appears he is) shouldn't the main emphasis of all this talk be about how we hope he can do well somewhere else? But instead, in our selfishness, we only care about ridding the team of someone. And some may argue that DC was selfish for taking thoe bonus money, fo rnot re-working the contract etc., but we are all feeding the beast of entertainment by watching the NFL and actively propping it up. We're all involved in this bloody mess together, IMO.

So let's stop acting like DC (or any other Texans player for that matter) is just some cog in the wheel of our sports fantasy lives...let's understand that he was given a shot this season, it didn't really work out, and the Texans organization tried to do what it felt was the best thing to do. But because it DIDN'T work out doesn't mean it was stupid.

It was as stupid as guessing either heads or tails on a coin flip.

DC will land in Minnesota or Tampa Bay. And then we'll all have to find a new Texans player to become the goat of this franchise. It's human nature. Plummer would do no better or worse, IMO, than DC. Jeff Garcia would also not do as well here. It's been said, and it's true: We don't have enough talent in all areas to really be a great team right now.

20 years went by before Chicago landed back into the Super Bowl. And we're griping about our condition in only 5 seasons worth of Texans football. We would need to go 15 more years to truly understand what it's like to be a suffering fan for an NFL team.

Yikes.

Go Texans!

We'll get it right eventually.
Plus, Vince could snap a leg or blow a knee on one of his scrambles this next season (ala McNabb) and it would not really matter much that we passed on VY.

Not saying I "want" it to happen. But saying that the guy is a target. A big one. And his style of game is exciting, it can break games in a heartbeat, but he's a walking time bomb in my opinion.

I'd take a pocket passer any day--A Montana or an Aikman, etc....someone who might get a few concussions, but they're not going to get their legs torqued on a scramble play.

Vick hasn't done a thing.

McNabb's had one shot in a Super Bowl.

Culpepper is done.

I'm not stressing out about us passing on a future cripple.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read