Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-15-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Adam Schein: "Texans Shouldn't Give up on Carr now"

Here's Schein's point of view:

link

My first thought after reading this...

Even if his premise is right, I don't see how financially it can make sense to have a three way competition with Plummer, Carr and Rosenfels.

I am guessing that if the Texans pull the plug on Carr, there are things that he is doing that they don't think are fixable. They wouldn't say the details of what those things publicly because that would diminish his value, and take out his knees in case we would have to keep him.
Old 02-15-2007   #2
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Default Re: Adam Schein: "Texans Shouldn't Give up on Carr now"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's Schein's point of view:

link

My first thought after reading this...

Even if his premise is right, I don't see how financially it can make sense to have a three way competition with Plummer, Carr and Rosenfels.

I am guessing that if the Texans pull the plug on Carr, there are things that he is doing that they don't think are fixable. They wouldn't say the details of what those things publicly because that would diminish his value, and take out his knees in case we would have to keep him.
BRADY QUINN!!!

Carr goes to Minnesota for a 3rd.
Old 02-15-2007   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole $$$$ thing doesn't make sense in the Carr-Plummer scenario. The Texans like the Broncos are going to trade a QB vs cutting him. They want some value for money invested. Trading Carr brings his 07 cap hit to around $4 mil. Plummer has an 07 salary cap hit of $7+ mil. I don't see the Texans taking a $11 mil cap hit for a QB in 07. They are only $10 mil under. I can't see Plummer renogitiating his salary with Denver just so they can trade him. Plummer would be better off getting cut and taking his chances on negoitiating a contract with his new team. He would probably be much better off. That said, Shanahan will take a 6th RD pick for Plummer before cutting him and Plummers current salary goes with him. Then there is Kyle, you have to wonder about Plummer's willingness to go to a new QB coach who's father just benched and cut/traded you.
Old 02-15-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Plummer would be extremely unprofessional if he held that against Kyle...if that would be the case I wouldn't want that Kid on our team. kid being jake.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Plummer would be extremely unprofessional if he held that against Kyle...if that would be the case I wouldn't want that Kid on our team. kid being jake.
Agreed, but then again, Jake has had his bouts with being unprofessional.
Old 02-15-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
TPlummer has an 07 salary cap hit of $7+ mil.
Plummer's salary is $5.3 mil for 2007 under his contract. The larger numbers you see reported are his cap hit if he stays in Denver which includes prorated signing bonus.
Old 02-15-2007   #7
trutxn
Veteran

News Flash...jake Plummer Is No Better Than What We Already Have.
Old 02-15-2007   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I agree with the link. I think that the Texans are missing two - three players to create a very tight offense. This can be acquired easily this offseason. With a good running back and a new lineman or two, and another season with Kubiak, the Texans can say they have exhausted all resources. If Carr doesn't look good next year, they can take a QB then, but they have invested too much and come too far with Carr to show him the doorstep right now.

Also, to can Carr means the Texans are starting over...again...and I'm not fond of that idea.

If they truly wanted a QB, they should have taken one last year when two really great quarterbacks were there for the taking.
Old 02-15-2007   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, how about Andre throwing David under the bus? I hope the next QB has the guts to get in Johnson's grill the next time he drops a gimme, quits on a route, or lets a DB get inside him for a pick. Clearly, Carr doesn't.

Finally, the obliquitory question: Who is Adam Schein?
Old 02-15-2007   #10
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the article. When the Texans lose it's, "The reason Houston lost to hometown boy Vince Young and the Titans in the quarterback's first pro start in Houston was because of the defense and its inability to make a stop or two, not David Carr.''

When the Texans win it's, "Carr went 3-1 last year against the top two teams in the division, the Super Bowl Champion Colts and the Jaguars.''

He sounds like some of the people posting in this MB.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #11
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Plummer's salary is $5.3 mil for 2007 under his contract. The larger numbers you see reported are his cap hit if he stays in Denver which includes prorated signing bonus.
Noted, Thanks! Then that would be a cap hit of $4 mil for Carr and Plummer's salary basically replaces Carr, correct? So the Texans would be adding $4 mil to the cap in 07 to add Plummer and trade Carr. I personally don't see the value there.
Old 02-15-2007   #12
petedy
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 petedy seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Well what do you know a sports writer who gave an objective view and certain posters don't like it because it wasn't tearing down Carr. All that I've read on these posts are predominately anti Carr and just one writer takes a different stance and you don't like the article.I bet if he had wrote one demanding Carr be driven from the league it would have made your heart sing.
petedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Noted, Thanks! Then that would be a cap hit of $4 mil for Carr and Plummer's salary basically replaces Carr, correct? So the Texans would be adding $4 mil to the cap in 07 to add Plummer and trade Carr. I personally don't see the value there.
Carr's base for 2007 is $5.25 mil but his cap hit with prorated bonus would be $7.25 so take Jake at full price for $5.3 mil plus a $4 mil cap hit for Carr and it basically costs $2 mil of cap space to make the exchange. Keep in mind, the Texans could explore a renegotiation with Plummer as part of the trade talks, i.e. trade doesn't go through unless Plummer agrees to a renegotiated contract with a lower base.
Old 02-15-2007   #14
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedy View Post
Well what do you know a sports writer who gave an objective view and certain posters don't like it because it wasn't tearing down Carr. All that I've read on these posts are predominately anti Carr and just one writer takes a different stance and you don't like the article.I bet if he had wrote one demanding Carr be driven from the league it would have made your heart sing.
Please re-read my post. I didn't say anything about Carr one way or the other. I said I do not like the article because, actually, it's not very objective at all. Look at the two quotes that I posted. I'm not bashing or supporting Carr, I'm just saying that I don't like the article.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Please re-read my post. I didn't say anything about Carr one way or the other. I said I do not like the article because, actually, it's not very objective at all. Look at the two quotes that I posted. I'm not bashing or supporting Carr, I'm just saying that I don't like the article.

There has been alot of this going on lately. It is ok to not want Carr here or think for yourself. Too much "faction" talk.

I'll agree with Texans Chick on the part about a 3 way competition. Bad for the team, bad for us, bad for a coach who is trying to make an identity.

As for a comment above that we would be starting over without Carr. I think we would be moving forward and healing.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn View Post
Plummer has been around..

Plummer is comfortable in the pocket..

Plummer knows the offense frontwards and backwards..

If Plummer gets sacked 50 times, it will be because the line is bad, not because he is making mental mistakes..

Plummer provides confidence and leadership at the QB position..

Its true that as far as QB skill goes.. Plummer is no better than Carr.. but in MANY other areas, Plummer is a big improvement.

But Plummer is old, and he would only be a temporary solution. People are acting like signing Plummer means he is going to be our QB for the next 10 years.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #17
A Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trutxn View Post
Your newsflash is wrong!
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a quote from this guy in the article, "The reason Houston lost to hometown boy Vince Young and the Titans in the quarterback's first pro start in Houston was because of the defense and its inability to make a stop or two, not David Carr."

Question: When has the offense ever done anything to help out the defense to put a game out of reach or a late drive in the 1st or 2nd halfs?

This guy is just another Carr apologist realizing that Carr is on the hot seat.

Granted, all of the Texan's problems are not the result of David Carr and there has been questionable talent around him at certain positions to make a playoff push, but that is no excuse for the number of losses the team has had to endure and how ineffective the offense is week in and week out.

Carr is a #1 draft pick and a QB, you have to able to bring something to the table to make your team better regardless of the talent around you at an NFL level. Not necessarily win games, but execute the offensive gameplan at times to show you can do it, including the 2 minute drill.

Just because a team losses on the last play of the game doesn't mean the squad on the field or some certain player on the field is entirely responsible for the loss.

Carr has his fingers in all the losses the Texans had in 2006 and some wins he was ineffective as the QB to take credit for a positive contribution.

I don't think Carr is going anywhere, but I think somewhere down the line they will restructure his contract during the offseason.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Plummer has been around..

Plummer is comfortable in the pocket..

Plummer knows the offense frontwards and backwards..

If Plummer gets sacked 50 times, it will be because the line is bad, not because he is making mental mistakes..

Plummer provides confidence and leadership at the QB position..

Its true that as far as QB skill goes.. Plummer is no better than Carr.. but in MANY other areas, Plummer is a big improvement.

But Plummer is old, and he would only be a temporary solution. People are acting like signing Plummer means he is going to be our QB for the next 10 years.
Exactly. A slight upgrade with other skill sets that knows the offense and who will be there while a younger guy learns. I don't expect miracles.
Old 02-15-2007   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Here is a quote from this guy in the article, "The reason Houston lost to hometown boy Vince Young and the Titans in the quarterback's first pro start in Houston was because of the defense and its inability to make a stop or two, not David Carr."

Question: When has the offense ever done anything to help out the defense to put a game out of reach or a late drive in the 1st or 2nd halfs?

This guy is just another Carr apologist realizing that Carr is on the hot seat.

Granted, all of the Texan's problems are not the result of David Carr and there has been questionable talent around him at certain positions to make a playoff push, but that is no excuse for the number of losses the team has had to endure and how ineffective the offense is week in and week out.

Carr is a #1 draft pick and a QB, you have to able to bring something to the table to make your team better regardless of the talent around you at an NFL level. Not necessarily win games, but execute the offensive gameplan at times to show you can do it, including the 2 minute drill.

Just because a team losses on the last play of the game doesn't mean the squad on the field or some certain player on the field is entirely responsible for the loss.

Carr has his fingers in all the losses the Texans had in 2006 and some wins he was ineffective as the QB to take credit for a positive contribution.

I don't think Carr is going anywhere, but I think somewhere down the line they will restructure his contract during the offseason.
He also fails to mention that when we were driving midway through the 4th quarter to take the league we decided to run a draw on 3rd and 8 and settle for a FG. It is plays like this that show a lack of confidence on a team that should be going for it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read