Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2004   #21
rhc564
Veteran

Default Corrosion

...well said! Let's hope the Texans are coached this week with more
imagination and less predictability...
rhc564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #22
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

The one thing that will without a doubt take you to the bottom third of the league is changing coaching staffs every two to four years. Consistency over 3-4 years will bring EXECUTION. EXECUTION will bring success and wins.
Without game film is truly difficult to determine what the Texans are doing every play. AJ made all the plays last week but that is not going to happen every week. Carr could just as easily be being grilled for throwing into double coverage.

And since the Texans are so predictable why don't you start a thread that says Texans first six plays against the Titans. Try to be more specific than run to Davis.

I believe in the first series last week the first two runs to Davis netted 7 or 8 yards. The failure on third down was lack of execution.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Last week I got frustrated with us being too predictable early in the game too but the bottom line is we are the 7th best scoring offense (7th in yardage also) in the NFL and we are getting better as we mature and can see it each week. All I'd like to see is more intermediate route passing early in the game instead of just taking what the defense gives us. I think if we dictate more to a defense (earlier) we can catch them guessing more and exploit them with some big plays. We can move the ball. We have all seen that. We just need to start playing with the lead and start dictating to other teams instead of the other way around. I just wish we would try to create some confusion and exploit an opposing defense earlier in a game. We are still a team on the rise and clearly not an elite team, so if you look at our record and our stats it is hard for me to complain too much about the offense as a fan. Our big problems are on defense, not offense.
Quote:
2004 Regular Season
NFL AFC NFC
Scoring Offense

Team G Pts/G TDs
Indianapolis 5 31.8 21
San Diego 5 28.0 17
Minnesota 4 28.0 14
Philadelphia 4 26.8 11
New England 4 26.2 12
New York (A) 4 24.5 11
Houston 5 23.6 13
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...G/2004/regular
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #24
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

One area where we are predictable is that we seldom utilize the tight end. I think we need to gameplan using the tight ends a little more. When Bruener gets the ball he is a load. The problem is he and Billy Miller seldom get the ball. I loved that pass play to Bruener against Minn. last week and I would like to see more of it. Wasn't it against the Cowboys when he had that nice catch and run in the preseason?
Old 10-16-2004   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are a better passing team when we are in a 3 wide set. Armstrong or Gaffney is a much better option than Miller is. Bruenner is here to block mostly. He isn't going to catch many passes.
Old 10-16-2004   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Texans first six plays against Titans:

1) 1st & 10. Carr hands off to DD. DD runs apparent strong side sweep, pass ball across field to Carr for 8 yd. pass play.

2) 2nd and 2. Carr fakes to DD and hands off to Andre Johnson, who passes the ball to Armstrong 10 yds. downfield. Armstrong tosses ball to Chester Pitts. Total of 13 yds. on the play.

3) 1st and 10. Ball is snapped to DD, who hands off to Carr. Carr runs right, throws non-forward pass back to DD, who runs forward and tosses ball back to a dropped back Steve McKinney. McKinney throws 65 yd. pass to Bruener.

4) 1st and 10. McKinney fakes the hike and rumbles forward for 18 yds.

5) 1st and 10. Carr fakes to DD, hands ball to Johson. Johnson throws ball way down field. Ball caught in endzone by Johnson. What a pass!

6) 1st and 10. Carr hands to DD, who fumbles it, picks it up, runs 5 yds., gets hit, fumbles ball, picks it up, runs 5 more yds., fumbles it, picks it up, runs 5 yds., defender misses DD, he fumbles anyway, picks it up, runs 5 more yds., tosses ball to Bruener, who hands it to Carr. Carr throws ball backwards to wide open Todd Wade. Wade runs for touchdown, making most of his own blocks.

Steve McKinney passes for over 400 yds. in this game and Davis fumbles for 150 yds. of positive yardage. Jeff Fisher checks into state hospital with signs of psychological trauma.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #27
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Draft position doesn't mean a whole lot, except how much money you will make.
Really ? Do you honestly think Babin would have been starting for us from
Day 1 if he was a 4th round pick ? If you do, we definitely need to get together because there's some Real Estate over across the state line in Lou I want to show - it's a can't miss deal, little bit swampy, but a great investment for you and I'll let you buy it at a bargain price !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2004   #28
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
AJ is one of the most targeted receivers in the NFL. According to Stats Inc., he has been the intended receiver 51 times in the Texans 5 games. Of the top ten WRs in the league, AJ is second only to Isaac Bruce who has been targeted 56 times...
Good post ... the kind of information we don't normally see.

I would again add the comment that I can't believe that posters are critical of the way that Johnson is used. Isn't it possible that the guys(Casserly/Capers/Palmer) who selected and have developed:

a) Carr to the extent that in only his 3rd year, he is leading the AFC in passing yds, yds/gm and yds/att; and

b) Johnson to the extent that in only his 2nd year (although he came out as a junior), he is leading the AFC in receiving yds;

should be trusted to know how to use them.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Really ? Do you honestly think Babin would have been starting for us from
Day 1 if he was a 4th round pick ?
I have heard that the Texans felt so strongly about Babin that they picked him as the 27th overall pick and gave up other picks for him later in the same draft. Why wouldn't you start a guy you feel that strongly about?
Old 10-16-2004   #30
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we are a better passing team when we are in a 3 wide set. Armstrong or Gaffney is a much better option than Miller is. Bruenner is here to block mostly. He isn't going to catch many passes.
All of that I agree with. I just think that the TE needs to be utilized a little more. Both guys are sure handed, and Bruener can punish some people when he gets the ball. But as you say, with so many options such as Armstrong and Gaffney, I can see where his chances are limited. I just like for them to be completely forgotten.
Old 10-16-2004   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I can agree to some extent, but the less we have used Miller the better this offense has gotten over the years. Miller was a good safety valve for an expansion team, but I can't see him starting on any other NFL club. Joppru is coming off the PUP list soon. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2004   #32
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Gal 312
The one thing that will without a doubt take you to the bottom third of the league is changing coaching staffs every two to four years Consistency over 3-4 years will bring EXECUTION. EXECUTION will bring success and wins... I believe in the first series last week the first two runs to Davis netted 7 or 8 yards. The failure on third down was lack of execution.
Thank you for your post. I agree with everything you say, but I wanted to clarify the first series playcalling in the Viking Game (source: gamebook http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...041010_MIN@HOU) bracketed notes are mine

1-10-HST 29 (9:56) 8-D.Carr pass to 37-D.Davis to HST 36 for 7 yards (54-D.Thomas).

(according to Carr, every pass to Davis is a check down. Therefore this was a pass call to someone OTHER than Davis) Successful play

2-3-HST 36 (9:22) PENALTY on HST-47-J.Baxter, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 36 - No Play.

2-8-HST 31 (9:01) 8-D.Carr pass to 37-D.Davis to 50 for 19 yards (27-B.Russell). P1

(according to Carr, every pass to Davis is a check down. therefore this was a pass call to someone OTHER than Davis) Successful play

1-10-50 (8:20) 37-D.Davis up the middle to MIN 46 for 4 yards (57-R.Smith; 90-S.Martin).

(I believe a running play of 4 yrds is considered a success and 3 yrds or less an unsuccessful play) Successful play

2-6-MIN 46 (7:38) 37-D.Davis up the middle to MIN 42 for 4 yards (93-K.Williams, 79-K.Mixon).

(I believe a running play of 4 yrds is considered a success and 3 yrds or less an unsuccessful play) Successful play

I would add that the first 4 plays (2 passes and 2 runs) shows good balance. While the plays as called were 2 runs to Davis and 2 passes to others, Carrs check downs resulted in 4 plays to Davis (although all 4 would be considered successful, IMO)

3-2-MIN 42 (6:51) 37-D.Davis right end to MIN 45 for -3 yards (29-B.Williams, 93-K.Williams).

(3-2 is a good 3rd down situation. The problem is that on this play, the Texans face 9 Vikings in the box! In my opinion, this required Carr to either check to a pass (single coverage by the CBs with no help overtop by the safeties) or if he didn't have a check to a pass in the play package, he should have called a timeout. The down was that important to convert. He didn't and we ended up with our only unsuccessful play in the first quarter)

We didn't touch the ball again in the first quarter.

I don't understand why people think all the plays were called to Davis (2-2 the first 4 plays), or why we were predictable (first 4 plays were successful). I would argue that the above shows a problem only with execution on the third down play.
Old 10-16-2004   #33
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Quote:
Joppru is coming off the PUP list soon
Yes, I heard Casserly on 610, and that's very encouraging. I just hope that the injury is healed (must be), and that it's not one that he always has trouble with. It will be nice to get him in the mix.
Old 10-16-2004   #34
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
The one thing that will without a doubt take you to the bottom third of the league is changing coaching staffs every two to four years. Consistency over 3-4 years will bring EXECUTION. EXECUTION will bring success and wins...
I agree.

After 5 weeks, only 6 of the 32 NFL teams have had the stability of having the same head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and starting QB for three years, since 2002 (Pats, Colts, Eagles, Tacks, Saints and TEXANS). The winning percentage of these teams is 64.3%. On one hand, we are only in the third year of existence. On the other hand, we are one of the elite teams in the NFL in terms of organizational stability and consistency.

(note: to be fair, some of the teams who have changed a coordinator have done so as a result of the coordinator having been promoted to head coach of another team. IMO however, the change, regardless of reason, still results in adjustments. Also these teams (Pittsburgh, St Louis, etc) tend to have high winning percentages and if included with the Elite teams, wouldn't alter the obvious conclusion that stability leads to winning)
Old 10-16-2004   #35
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Why wouldn't you start a guy you feel that strongly about?
They "felt" that strongly about him, that's why they paid so dearly for him on Draft day. But do they still "feel" that strongly about him , that is, has he met
their expectations ? While he played what I thought was his best game last Sunday, I'm still waiting to see emerge the player I was expecting and hoping for.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The one thing that will without a doubt take you to the bottom third of the league is changing coaching staffs every two to four years. Consistency over 3-4 years will bring EXECUTION. EXECUTION will bring success and wins.
Couldnt agree more . I dont want Capers and Co. run out of town , just wish they would utilize all their weapons on offense and be a little more creative in doing so . Play Action , Screen Passes , Guards and Tackles pulling to help get an outside running game going , and Moving the pocket around a bit to help protect DC and maybe buy him more time to go thru his reads.

The Texans have made steady progress each season on the offensive side of the ball , each season in a different area .

Year One: Carr established a connection with his TE (Billy Miler) and had a great year under the circumstances (expansion team)
Year Two The O-line got much better at pass protection cutting the sack total more than in half . D.Davis had a great year running the ball (over 1000 yards)
Year Three : The passing Vertical passing game has come alive .

Hopefully by seasons end they can put all of these things together and be a quite formidable offensive team .

Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #37
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if you want an immediate difference.. then we need to stop drafting and start using our draft picks to pick up free agents.

Seriously.. its been FIVE FREAKING GAMES. Give our rookies at least a season.. more like two or three.

As for Davis.. helloooo? Rookie of the year?.. 1000 rushing yards in 10 games? do you really think anyone on the team gives a flying funk that he was a 4th round pick? he proved he can play.. the only question now is how long will it be before he comes out of his slump... or will he ever?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #38
Jwwillis
All Pro

McNair and Co. have built one of the most awarded sports franchises in the country if not the world. Casserly and his coaches have built a competitave team with huge potential in 2-1/4 seasons. I am amazed at how potent the Texans O has become so fast. As for the D they got troubles and they will be addressed. Bone heads who think you can throw bombs all day cause we have AJ are living in a dream world. If the Texans dont establish the run they wont win many games.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #39
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

I wish the run-n-shoot would be implemented.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004   #40
Tavo

Default Play Calling

We all know we have the weapons to make plays but i think that theres nothing wrong with our players, I believe that the only thing wrong with the texans are the coaches, especially the offensive coordinator.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read