Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-14-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Confidence

Early this morning, as I was watching my daily allotment of Sportscenter highlights, I paid special note to a segment about the new and improved Toronto Raptors. The commentators made some quip about the Raptors being one of the hottest teams in the NBA, and then made sure people knew he was serious. He explained that "This young raptors team has finally gotten over the confidence hurdle, and they now know/believe they can beat any team on any night."
For the first time in as long as I can remember, the Raptors have a team that looks to make a decent playoff run.
Have they had similar talent in the past? Probably not as good as they've got now, but they've been close. Are there better teams talent wise who are playing worse? Absolutely.
And whats thh difference? Is it confidence?

In the NFL, there is a popular phrase that reads: "Any Given Sunday" which supposedly means that any team in the NFL can beat any other team in the NFL because the talent drop off from team to team is so minimal.
Earlier this year I seriously doubted this. Could the Raiders this year have beaten the Chargers if they had played 10 timmes? Or the Colts? I doubt it. But I guess you never know.
And what happens if they do beat them? Like after the Texans beat the Colts? How much confidence does that instill in a team? And what is the result?

These questions got me thinking about our team and our future. In 2005, about midway through the season, you could tell the team had quit. The players didn't trust each other, the coaching staff, or even their own abilities. And it showed on the field. We lost all the close ones or we gave up so early we didn't ever even have a shot.

I think 2006 was a confidence building year. Kubiak was trying to instill the "Any Given Sunday" mentality in our players. And I'd like to believe that the Colts game proved to be the pinnacle of that. We, the media jokes of the NFL, beat the superbowl XLI champions. And we beat them by putting in a solid, tough as nails, grind it out performance

So what does this mean? Maybe we'll be one of those turnaround teams that seem to shine randomly come out every year. How do you explain the chargers going from the #1 pick to playoffs, or the Saints from 3-13 to NFC championship game? Maybe its confidence in yourself, yoru team, and your system that gives the guys that extra little push. Maybe it means that next year we will see our team fight from start to finish. Maybe we'll see our team start to actually win those close games decided by one or two scores.

I don't know, but its the offseason, there isn't much to talk about, and I just thought I'd share my little optimism with everyone. We beat the superbowl champs last year. We've seen what happens when we play within our systems strengths. We can beat anyone.
Old 02-14-2007   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default Re: Confidence

I think confidence can go a long way, but I think the best way to build confidence is obviously to string wins together and win the games you should win, rather than beat one great team. I think it was in '04 that we took the SB champion Patriots to overtime and beat the NFC champion Panthers. We proved we could play with anyone. Then, with our first chance to break .500 ever, we lost in embarrassing fashion to the lowly Browns at home. We needed a little something extra to get us over the hump and start winning games where before we were just coming close, as well as getting to the point where we could beat the teams we're supposed to beat. There was alot of optimism over that offseason, we had steadily improved our record every year under Capers' plan, and we made some FA and draft moves that we thought would help our team. They didn't, and ipso facto Capers and his crew were gone.

As soon as we start playing to our potential and winning consistently in favorable situations, our confidence will build and we can look to truly compete with the elite teams rather than reminiscing about the big upset while we watch the playoffs from home. I think for a team to be truly consistent, it all starts with the Quarterback, and we're obviously in a bad spot there right now. If we can band-aid that situation for a while until we get a real player there, with or without Carr, then that'll make an instant impact more influential than any other short term change we could make, IMO.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Early this morning, as I was watching my daily allotment of Sportscenter highlights, I paid special note to a segment about the new and improved Toronto Raptors. The commentators made some quip about the Raptors being one of the hottest teams in the NBA, and then made sure people knew he was serious. He explained that "This young raptors team has finally gotten over the confidence hurdle, and they now know/believe they can beat any team on any night."
For the first time in as long as I can remember, the Raptors have a team that looks to make a decent playoff run.
Have they had similar talent in the past? Probably not as good as they've got now, but they've been close. Are there better teams talent wise who are playing worse? Absolutely.
And whats thh difference? Is it confidence?

In the NFL, there is a popular phrase that reads: "Any Given Sunday" which supposedly means that any team in the NFL can beat any other team in the NFL because the talent drop off from team to team is so minimal.
Earlier this year I seriously doubted this. Could the Raiders this year have beaten the Chargers if they had played 10 timmes? Or the Colts? I doubt it. But I guess you never know.
And what happens if they do beat them? Like after the Texans beat the Colts? How much confidence does that instill in a team? And what is the result?

These questions got me thinking about our team and our future. In 2005, about midway through the season, you could tell the team had quit. The players didn't trust each other, the coaching staff, or even their own abilities. And it showed on the field. We lost all the close ones or we gave up so early we didn't ever even have a shot.

I think 2006 was a confidence building year. Kubiak was trying to instill the "Any Given Sunday" mentality in our players. And I'd like to believe that the Colts game proved to be the pinnacle of that. We, the media jokes of the NFL, beat the superbowl XLI champions. And we beat them by putting in a solid, tough as nails, grind it out performance

So what does this mean? Maybe we'll be one of those turnaround teams that seem to shine randomly come out every year. How do you explain the chargers going from the #1 pick to playoffs, or the Saints from 3-13 to NFC championship game? Maybe its confidence in yourself, yoru team, and your system that gives the guys that extra little push. Maybe it means that next year we will see our team fight from start to finish. Maybe we'll see our team start to actually win those close games decided by one or two scores.

I don't know, but its the offseason, there isn't much to talk about, and I just thought I'd share my little optimism with everyone. We beat the superbowl champs last year. We've seen what happens when we play within our systems strengths. We can beat anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83 View Post
I think confidence can go a long way, but I think the best way to build confidence is obviously to string wins together and win the games you should win, rather than beat one great team. I think it was in '04 that we took the SB champion Patriots to overtime and beat the NFC champion Panthers. We proved we could play with anyone. Then, with our first chance to break .500 ever, we lost in embarrassing fashion to the lowly Browns at home. We needed a little something extra to get us over the hump and start winning games where before we were just coming close, as well as getting to the point where we could beat the teams we're supposed to beat. There was alot of optimism over that offseason, we had steadily improved our record every year under Capers' plan, and we made some FA and draft moves that we thought would help our team. They didn't, and ipso facto Capers and his crew were gone.

As soon as we start playing to our potential and winning consistently in favorable situations, our confidence will build and we can look to truly compete with the elite teams rather than reminiscing about the big upset while we watch the playoffs from home. I think for a team to be truly consistent, it all starts with the Quarterback, and we're obviously in a bad spot there right now. If we can band-aid that situation for a while until we get a real player there, with or without Carr, then that'll make an instant impact more influential than any other short term change we could make, IMO.
Nice try gtexan02. Don't let em get you down.
Old 02-14-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think you're right on gtexan. in our case, with new coaches and new schemes and everything, i think it takes time.

we saw towards the end of the season how our defense really improved and got better. i think part of this is them getting used to it and playing together. the other part is that they gained a lot of confidence and believed in the coaches...believed in what they were instilling. and thought it would work.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Try hitting a golf ball onto the green when it's surrounded by O.B. and water. Wind blowing and you're inbetween clubs. as your standing over the ball you're still not sure if you should club up or not...and then go ahead and swing. you're going to go in the water.

Now try hitting a golf ball in the same situation, when you've been hitting the ball well all day, you know you've got the right club. You're going to knock it dead on and putt for a bird.

confidence has everything to do with it. also though is playing well and believing in yourself. if the team keeps winning and they have confidence...we're going to be DAMN GOOD.

you're not going to win a lot of games if you don't have confidence. at the same time it's harder to have confidence if you're not winning games. Once our players believe they can win...like what their doing...they're going to have confidence. last part of the season i think thats what we saw...hopefully it'll carry over to next season. our coaches have to show confidence too though.
Old 02-15-2007   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The team has the talent to make a play-off run. They also now have the coaching staff and schemes to make that run. All they lack is the confidence. More than any other factor - the magical running back, a final piece to the pass-rush, a real defensive secondary - the team needs confidence.

I hope, and suspect, the one thing they took from the Indy win was confidence. There is no reason they should not be contending in the division.
Old 02-15-2007   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I wonder if Houston sports team fail because their fans don't instill enough confidence in them. The fans in Houston seem to be both more knowledgeable and more laid back than in other sports towns. Having said that, I digress:

Houston Texans (^)%in' Rule, Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2007   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Houston sports team fail because their fans don't instill enough confidence in them. The fans in Houston seem to be both more knowledgeable and more laid back than in other sports towns. Having said that, I digress: [
I think Houston has a low tolerance for losing. All 3 of our professional teams suffer from it. Confidence, IMHO, is absolutely critical to winning, at any level.
I think fan support plays a role in that. Look at the different leagues and the teams in them with legendary fan support. Those teams have a definite advantage(AKA "Home Field Advantage) that comes from knowing their fans will be making life difficult for the opposition.
Old 02-15-2007   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65325 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in 2005, the team had just finally lost confidence in Capers & they quit. Kubiak coming in was like a breath of fresh air, to this team & put us right back on track circa 2004. I also think this is why Kubiak wants to go ahead & get another Qb in here as well. he senses that the team (at least the O-line) is losing confidence in DC & he doesn't want to lose the positive momentum he has gained.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #10
real

Maybe it's just me, but If I were Kubiak I'd be pretty dissapointed about this past season. I believe 6-10 is terrible no matter what. ..even if you are coming off a 2-14 season. From here I think it depends on what they do this off-season. It only takes one off-season of moves to be thought of as a contender.
Old 02-15-2007   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think Houston has a low tolerance for losing. All 3 of our professional teams suffer from it. Confidence, IMHO, is absolutely critical to winning, at any level.
I think fan support plays a role in that. Look at the different leagues and the teams in them with legendary fan support. Those teams have a definite advantage(AKA "Home Field Advantage) that comes from knowing their fans will be making life difficult for the opposition.
I think given the actions of the front office from last year, they do not think that fan support and excitement is part of the football side of the organization. That "football decisions" are separate from "marketing decisions." I appreciate the stones it takes to make last year's decision, but at the same time, I think it overlooks how enthusiastic fans in the seat can make a difference in W-Ls. That's why there is such a thing as home field advantage.

Given all the crud dumped on the Texans fans last year, I think the support of the team has been remarkable.

Chicken and eggs. Do you win first to get the fans excited, or do excited fans get the team winning more?

Certainly, the Texans need a confidence injection. They need to know that when bad things happen during a game, it isn't over. That it isn't just another there we go again thing. Very few teams play a flawless game from start to finish--it is the teams that can best deal with the bad stuff who win.
Old 02-15-2007   #12
srstex
Veteran

Confidence breads winning, winning breads confidence, but where do you start? I know one place to avoid and that is the Houston media, who have for decades said nothing but negetive thoughts about our teams. The Astros average game last year brought in 35,000 fans that is great, BUT you listen to Bob Allen, John McClain, and others, it's always the same story " Well they didn't win the Big One again, are you surprised ? " Let's face facts, the Colts have been in the playoffs for the last six years, they win this year and now Manning is a winner? Our sports media was bashing our Oilers when they were in the playoffs 7 years in a row, that was a great time but Bob & John and the rest of them never had a good word. We the fans can start with showing up and looking at the glass half full till the glass actually falls over, I'd rather be a lucky winner than a skillfull loser anyday.
Here's something to look forward to in the draft, the top 15 players are Play Makers, so we have a golden oppertunity to pick up a top shelf player. The first Mock drafts have Quinn going at number 9, Ginn was at 9 by a different board, I will tell you this, at number 8 we will get a starter from day one. Just think if Mathis can't come back, and as some have said he doesn't embrace the WR position, we might be able to pick up Ginn Jr, talented receiver and KR specialist. Yes my fellow Texans fans we have a good year ahead of us.
Old 02-15-2007   #13
real

IMO, it's up to the coaches to make the players believe they can win...

If you have a good system in place, and you have good coaches on your staff the players will believe they can win every game. When the players lose confidence in the system then that's when they stop playing hard.

Confidence = Playing hard...
Old 02-15-2007   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

With the amount of player turnover that we'll most likely see, along with an 8 month gap, I don't think there will be much 'momentum' or confidence from beating the Colts. Perhaps the players have a better sense of believing in Kubiak as a head coach, but I don't see much beyond that point.
Old 02-15-2007   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
With the amount of player turnover that we'll most likely see, along with an 8 month gap, I don't think there will be much 'momentum' or confidence from beating the Colts. Perhaps the players have a better sense of believing in Kubiak as a head coach, but I don't see much beyond that point.
I was thinking about that....

How many guys on the team do you think actually care about the team ?

Like you said, a lot of these guys won't be here next year.
Old 02-15-2007   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
are you kidding? a four game swing is terrible? from what the texans were in 2005...from 3rd string to bob mcnair was an absolute bag of crap. and in one season kubiak turns the team around in the right direction and you say he should be dissapointed?

and if one off-season can turn around a 2-14 team, then LOOKOUT-HERE COME THE RAIDERS!!!!!

fo real
I'm not sure what your defenition of a "turn around" is....

But i don't call going from worst to bad a "turn around"...

Did we get better ? record wise....yes....But that wasn't something Kubiak built on...In his first season as a head coach he went 6-10...that's bad.

6-10 is 6-10 all day long, and the Houston Texans have to be the only team in the history of the NFL to call 6-10 a turn around.
Old 02-15-2007   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Player Turnover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Like you said, a lot of these guys won't be here next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
With the amount of player turnover that we'll most likely see, along with an 8 month gap, I don't think there will be much 'momentum' or confidence from beating the Colts.
Brings up a good point. How much turnover are you guys expecting to see? It sounds like a lot more than I am an anticipating. Me, I'm thinking there could be as many as seven new players in the starting line-up (running back, 2 offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebacker, corner, safety), but IMO that's still pretty low. That's why I think the wins will be a confidence booster for the team.
Old 02-15-2007   #18
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
6-10 is 6-10 all day long, and the Houston Texans have to be the only team in the history of the NFL to call 6-10 a turn around.
nah, we aren't that bad... yet. ( I hope never, but you never know )

the Bucs would count 2-14 to 6-10 as a three fold improvement. A sure sign of a Super Bowl to come ( nearly 20 years later ).
Old 02-15-2007   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

off topic but...

Yea i'm going to be scared of oakland next year. their defense is already at the top of the nfl. they are only a few pieces on offense away from being a really good team. if the draft russell, then get some o-line help in FA...

it's going to be a tough game next season.
Old 02-15-2007   #20
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
i hope your "all 3 professional teams" doesnt include the Astros. they are one of the most successful teams (record wise) over the last 10 years and have made the playoffs 6 times, have 2 LCS appearances, the World Series in 2005, and 4 division titles (1999-99 and 2001). they missed the playoffs and the division title last year by two games i believe.

maybe you were talking about the comets or something, but i dont count them as being an actual team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read