Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-14-2007   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Turner, Singletary, Rivera, Ryan, Zimmer and Mora to talk to Chargers

SAN DIEGO (Feb. 13, 2007) -- The Chargers received permission to interview four candidates to replace fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer, including one-time San Diego offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Turner was offensive coordinator with the Chargers in 2001. He's currently the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. He interviewed for the Dallas Cowboys' head coaching job that went to Wade Phillips, the Chargers' former defensive coordinator.

The Chargers also received permission to interview Hall of Famer 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, both of whom interviewed for the Cowboys job. The fourth candidate is Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9995077
Old 02-14-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Turner, Singletary, Rivera, Ryan, Zimmer and Mora to talk to Chargers

In a surprise twist, newly hired Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will interview for the vacant San Diego Chargers head coaching post, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the development.

San Diego fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer Monday and contacted the Falcons Tuesday to request permission to speak with Zimmer, who was hired in mid-January to head the defense under new coach Bobby Petrino.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...svc=7&cxcat=21
Old 02-14-2007   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Turner, Singletary, Rivera, Ryan, Zimmer and Mora to talk to Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
In a surprise twist, newly hired Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will interview for the vacant San Diego Chargers head coaching post, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the development.

San Diego fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer Monday and contacted the Falcons Tuesday to request permission to speak with Zimmer, who was hired in mid-January to head the defense under new coach Bobby Petrino.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...svc=7&cxcat=21
Man, it appears to be getting cut throat. Did the Falcons actually give the permission to talk to Zimmer? If they did, why?
Old 02-14-2007   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Did the Falcons actually give the permission to talk to Zimmer? If they did, why?
I don't think the Chargers or Zimmer need permission, if Zimmer is interviewing for a head coaching position.
Old 02-14-2007   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think the Chargers or Zimmer need permission, if Zimmer is interviewing for a head coaching position.
You are correct sir!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #6
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Those this mean Pete Carroll is out of the question?...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #7
Please_Evolve
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Please_Evolve is a Pro BowlerPlease_Evolve is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
Those this mean Pete Carroll is out of the question?...
Everytime his name is brought up i wonder....why in the hell would Pete Carroll want to leave USC?!

It's like a HC gig in the NFL but he gets the players he wants, a perenial title contender, plays in a puffcake conference, and is pretty much the toast of the town in LA.
Old 02-14-2007   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please_Evolve View Post
Everytime his name is brought up i wonder....why in the hell would Pete Carroll want to leave USC?!

It's like a HC gig in the NFL but he gets the players he wants, a perenial title contender, plays in a puffcake conference, and is pretty much the toast of the town in LA.
3 words: Reggie Bush Scandal....
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think the NCAAs are after Carrol, and it won't be long before he's having to deal with sanctions. That being said, he's still getting a fat wad of cash to coach in LA.
Old 02-14-2007   #10
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
I think the NCAAs are after Carrol, and it won't be long before he's having to deal with sanctions. That being said, he's still getting a fat wad of cash to coach in LA.
If he's smart Carrol will stay at USC through any sanctions. I don't believe the alumni would run him off. He has already been a HC in the NFL without much success, and if he is thinking about going back then he should talk to Spurrier and Saban.
Old 02-14-2007   #11
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Back to the original topic....

IMO, the chargers still have a lot of options for a HC. Turner and Mora are the only guys with HC experience, but in todays NFL that doesn't mean anything. It's strange that the experienced HC's are not being mentioned anymore. Sherman, Capers, Green, Mariucci,,,,,,,

The chargers problem is going to be putting a assistant coaching staff together.

What a shame with all the talent they have on that team, and they were one win away from the Super Bowl.
Old 02-14-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Zimmer is more of a product that he had been coaching the 3-4 with the Cowboys. That is why I think Rivera will have trouble with this job, like Dallas. Chargers have the D talent in place and won't adjust.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think the Chargers are grasping at straws here. Though I think all of these guys are HC material. None of them fit what the chargers already do well aside from maybe Turner who has proven he's a better coordinator than HC.

The others all run the 4-3 pretty much except Zimmer.

Quite honestly none of this makes sense to me what the chargers are doing. I guess they felt like they were able to deal with it b/c of the assistants and once they were gone made no sense to keep marty?

I don't know really. I do know they are screwed no matter what. What a waste of a good team.

LT should come back home to Texas and play for US!!!! He can rush for 2500 a year. (I can dream can't I.)
Old 02-14-2007   #14
Texan_Aggie222
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
3 words: Reggie Bush Scandal....
How about Joe McKnight Scandel as well.

As for Zimmer, he coached the 4-3 as well in Dallas, he was DC under Campo as well before Parcells got there. Zimmer was kept from the Dave Campo era and taught how to coach the 3-4 under Parcells.

I think Rex Ryan will get this job. He is well deserving, and can lead this defense to become even better than his Ravens defense. Besides, I think now is the right time to jump ship in Baltimore and find himself a HC job.
Texan_Aggie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #15
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Aggie222 View Post
How about Joe McKnight Scandel as well.

As for Zimmer, he coached the 4-3 as well in Dallas, he was DC under Campo as well before Parcells got there. Zimmer was kept from the Dave Campo era and taught how to coach the 3-4 under Parcells.

I think Rex Ryan will get this job. He is well deserving, and can lead this defense to become even better than his Ravens defense. Besides, I think now is the right time to jump ship in Baltimore and find himself a HC job.
I think Joe McKnight deserves whatever they give him under the table. The NCAA is bunch of *****holes. This kid will further cusion Petey boys millions on his contract for an extension. Get USC millions and millions in revenue.....and his family doesn't even have a home to live in? Pisses me off to no end.

Rex Ryan would be nice if he's going to run the 46. Merriman in that DEFENSE. WOW!
Old 02-15-2007   #16
bluestars87
Rookie

I think our own Mike Singletary is going to get the job. Which sucks, because he's a really good players coach. But I guess it's better than taking Norv Turner from us. So it could be worse.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read