Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-13-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron's McClain claims Texans are actively shopping Carr

For the first time, the Texans admitted they have received calls from teams that are interested in acquiring quarterback David Carr.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4550188.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Chron's McClain claims Texans are actively shopping Carr

Thank You.
Old 02-13-2007   #3
real

Quote:
Smith and Kubiak would like to acquire extra draft choices.
Thats why I love 'em.
Old 02-13-2007   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I try to get out AND THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.
Old 02-13-2007   #6
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
For the first time, the Texans admitted they have received calls from teams that are interested in acquiring quarterback David Carr.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4550188.html
Not saying it isn't true but I have a hard time believing that. Why would that info be given to the Texans beat writer? Just a bunch of idle chatter. I'm con_VINCE_d that Carr is here for the duration of his contract until I see other wise.
Old 02-13-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I called Smith earlier this afternoon and offered him two cases of Lonestar light and a 1lb jar of peanuts for Carr.

He wanted almonds, but there was no way I was going to go that high.
Old 02-13-2007   #8
old football fan
Veteran

Gee did Smith say Carr is our starting QB??????[LEFTBut what else could he say.[/left]
old football fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
So we might gain a draft pick from trading Carr...and then we'd ship it back to Denver for Plummer?

I hope Smith & Kubiak are smarter than that.

At this point, I'm all for drafting a QB and then actively shopping Carr during camp, pre-season, and regular season. It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston OR so he can get out of Houston and get a gig somewhere else, and it'll push the drafted QB to develop faster because he knows the job is his as soon as he can get up to speed with the offense, etc.

I see no real "win" with trading David Carr as soon as free agency begins...especially if it is with the intent to acquire Plummer which will cost us a draft pick. Gaining a pick and then losing a pick sounds fairly dumm if you ask me. Shaving a few million off cap space is about the only positive...but is it even THAT much help, especially if Plummer is pricey and he would then incur cap hits on the same level as Carr?

Is anyone else here seeing that Jake Plummer is almost the same as David Carr?

Trade Carr, then package the pick with another pick (our second rounder maybe) to move back into the first round or very early second round to acquire a QB. Therefore, you only lost one pick (in essence) and you perhaps jetted yourself back into the higher levels of talent in the late first or very early second round.

Haven't we historically been awful in the second round? I know that was the Dumb & Dumber era and all, but I say we get us two high picks and then let the magic begin in round three like it did last year. I think the second round is perhaps the most dangerous area of the draft--It's guys that are not round 1 material, but yet MIGHT be better than round 3. And guys who ARE round 2 material (Spencer) end up being available in round 3. It's madness.
Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.
Old 02-13-2007   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure how this statement indicates any sort of trade might be imminent:

First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today.
Kind of an aside...I listened to the podcast of the Mike Sherman interview from last month on 610.

He used those same words when they asked him about Carr.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #12
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
It'll push David to get better (faster) so he can get over the top here in Houston
If having most of the city against him because of his play and knowing that those same people wanted someone else instead of him can't motivate him, nothing will.
Old 02-13-2007   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.
Old 02-13-2007   #14
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today.
That's all I need to hear. Carr is going no where.
Old 02-13-2007   #15
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think Carr will be here next season until we hear otherwise from team officials.

McClain, for right or wrong, is just trying to get fans riled up with the possible hopes of moving the FO into action. But he should know from last year's draft that the Texans brass aren't swayed by the media or the public.
DB, i'm going to start calling you the " MB soothe sayer". I agree with you whole heartedly.
Old 02-13-2007   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

Could just be posturing to make the deal worth as much as possible by indicating multipule teams asking or could be press bluster to settle down the fan base and even could be a plant in the press to generate inquiries. Like I have said before....everything is for sale, if the price is right. If they don't get the right price, I suspect they go into the season with Carr as the QB I doubt they move him without knowing what they are going to do after the move. A deal with say some sort of first day pick or a player and a second day pick....then they might move him, but not unless they are pretty sure they have someone else equal to or better to use. Might be a vet or it might be they plan to grab a high ranked rookie, but I doubt they move him just to move him or cut him for that matter.
The last part of your post is what I am feeling on this issue.

It's easy, as a fan, to get caught up in the emotional aspects of David Carr. But as a GM, you cannot look at it through the "Well, we just need to get rid of Carr no matter what" glasses. It is business, BIG BUSINESS, to the GMs and to the owner of NFL teams.

I will be disappointed if the FO compromises and gets rid of DC "just to move on" as some are wishing.

I, too, want something dynamic to happen...and I want it NOW. If the FO is not careful; however, it can cause the same problem at QB all over again. Was it then "worth it" to just have the same issues all over again?

Jake's name is being mentioned wayyyyyyyyyyy too much in all the various NFL rumor mills. IF our team is as interested in Plummer as it is being suggested recently, then I am afraid that we'll make the move to rid the team of Carr only to have Plummer come in and not be the better "option" that he's being touted as.

I think we can ride DC fairly deep into the regular season and then try to move him before the mid-season trade deadline. I would think we could even move him during camp so he can catch on with another team who isn't liking what they have at QB.

IMO, a DC trade is not best (for us) if it's at the beginning of free agency in March. Let teams sit there with the QBs they have, let them see how sparse the QB free agency market is, and THEN they'll look for DC as the draft gets nearer and they see that they can get a veteran upgrade at QB--and he IS an upgrade over Grossman and a few others btw--instead of wasting a pick on a QB that might not pan out.

Call me crazy, but I think Plummer becomes a Bear and Carr becomes a Viking or a Bucaneer by the time this is all over with. Vikes are reportedly interested in DC--Brad Johnson is not happy in Minnesota, and the rookie they have is pretty rough around the edges from what I have seen of him late in the 2006 season.

Tampa Bay is a place where I think there is still a cloud of mystery over who is going to be starting (is Simms healthy enough?) and who will be backing the starter up (Is the other guy even capable of being a backup there?). David's a beach guy, and Tampa would possibly be the best fit for him all the way around IMO.

I think the most likely scenario is that Johnson retires OR he goes to Tampa Bay where he re-unites with Gruden. DC then goes to Vikings. Or, DC goes to Tampa Bay. It seems like a fairly logical place for those guys, IMO.

Again, I hope hope hope that the Plummer speculation will never fully materialize into an actual transaction when it's all said and done. It doesn't feel like a good fit at all.
Old 02-13-2007   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

“First, let me say that David is our starting quarterback,” general manager Rick Smith said today. “I’ve fielded some calls about some of our players, including a couple of inquiries asking whether David might be available.

This is the same team, granted, under new management, that let Sharper, Foreman and Glenn go with absolutely NO compensation. Never say Never.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #18
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice to hear from Carr. This time last season, there were plenty of articles on him and the new coach, etc............
Haven't heard a peep out of him since the last game.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Honestly all of the things that you talk about in your post don't mean much to me anymore....

At some point you have to cut your loses and move on the best you can...and it's that time...

It may not be the ideal or perfect situation, but I honestly believe if they go into the the season with Carr as the QB it will hurt our franchise more in the long run, than any cap space we waste getting rid of him. The whole Carr thing has become a plague, and it consumes so much time and energy. I think if Carr is traded then we will finally be able to move on as a franchise, and try to form a new identity. I hope they move him as soon as they can.
Amen!!I've been saying this for awhile now. It has gone beyond the "can Carr play" phase. We have an owner who has questioned our QB play...finally. We have fans that debate until they are blue in the face. It has gone too far. If people think "competition" is going to make this better, they are completely folling themselves. The only thing another variable brings into this is the chance for even more people to choose sides. Carr fans will think he isn't getting a fair shake if he doesn't start and will make excuses or Carr will get booed and people will be calling for the backup. All it does is sets us back another year. For the sake of everyone involved they should cut the losses and move on with the hopes that both parties come out ahead and with a new perspective. Smith said this same thing weeks ago after it came out that Carr would be shipped. At this point it seems like he is trying to hike up the value. Ad this to the fact that Carr isn't deaf and dumb and he sees what McNair said. Let's move forward.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #20
real

Well I guess I'm alone in my thoughts because I really do not think David will be here next year...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read