Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-12-2007   #1
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Brady Quinn

I want to know why people want him and why people wouldn't want him if he fell. I'd want him. He is very good despite having a bad oline. i think that is what we need. He is an arm like Tom Brady and from what i saw he is mobile enough to move outside the pocket for kubs......and i think kubiak will be able to teach him all he needs to know. let carr start this year and have kubiak teach quinn. the oline will have another year together and then hopefully when quinn starts they wil be ready.
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brady Quinn

For the sake of the fans and the city of Houston, this team needs to keep improving every year from now on. Drafting Quinn would set us back a couple of more years. We just went through 5 years of sub-par play at QB. I dont want to go through another 2-3 to find out if Quinn is our guy. We need to draft guys that will come in and contribute right away. Whats wrong with drafting a QB in the later rounds? kubiak can groom him for a couple of years and then see if he is the guy. The expectations for him wont be as high as a Top 10 QB. If quinn falls, I say trade down...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #3
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
I want to know why people want him and why people wouldn't want him if he fell. I'd want him. He is very good despite having a bad oline. i think that is what we need. He is an arm like Tom Brady and from what i saw he is mobile enough to move outside the pocket for kubs......and i think kubiak will be able to teach him all he needs to know. let carr start this year and have kubiak teach quinn. the oline will have another year together and then hopefully when quinn starts they wil be ready.
First I don't think he is an upgrade. Fix the defense and you can do almost all of it this offseason. That leaves you the next couple of years to focus solely on the O.
Old 02-12-2007   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like two starters out of picks one and two . If their is a QB in the 3rd that the Texans like then maybe .
Old 02-12-2007   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the only thing i have against brady quinn is this...if everything works out the way i think it will in which we trade carr in for peanuts...sign plummer when he's released...why would we draft a QB number one when we still have a whole bunch of whole to fix...if we go into the draft stuck with carr and no other veteran Qb to challenge him then fine...but i'm almost 100% sure we'll end up with plummer some way some how
Old 02-12-2007   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I don't like Quinn because he reminds me of a Harrington/Carr combo, leaning more torwards Harrington. That scares me off. I don't see much Brady in him other than Wiese. His awareness isn't that great either. He arm is average. His mental game isn't all there either. He has decent legs, but Carr is more mobile. He does have a better presence in the pocket than Carr, but I won't justify taking him on that alone.
Old 02-12-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Quinn will be a fine quarterback...given he has a decent o-line. If not, I think he'll have a hard time like Carr did. I think a lot of people give him a lot of undue criticism because he has been the front runner #1 QB for so long and they want to critique him to death...plus the whole pretty boy imagine. Don't get me wrong constructive criticism is needed and a lot of people on here make extremely valid comments- others just say they don't like him because that's becoming the 'popular' thing to say.

With that said, I don't like him.....lol just kidding. I think it would send a horrible message to our fan base for passing on Leinart/Young/Cutler last year to draft this guy....when our defense is no where near complete and our offensive line is just as bad. I would rather us stick to building a stout defense that will have to battle indy...and now tennessee. I think there will be other guys on our list by the time we pick...that we won't pick him.

I'd love if he fell to us and somone would trade with us to get him...looks like miami might like to take him..so a team could jump in front of them. i'd like to stay top 15 though. Then go BPA from Levi, Landry, Nelson, Okoye, Willis, etc whoever is available and depending on what we do in FA.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2007   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will add I think it'd be great for our FO to show interest in him and even bring him in for try outs...to try and throw a little smokescreen. Even if he's picked before us...that means another top player just fell to us that we could probably rather have.
Old 02-13-2007   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I will add I think it'd be great for our FO to show interest in him and even bring him in for try outs...to try and throw a little smokescreen. Even if he's picked before us...that means another top player just fell to us that we could probably rather have.

I think if you show interest in him (as a smokescreen) it could backfire because the team that really wants him would then deal with the team in front of us (Vikings I believe) to make sure they get him. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think if you show interest in him (as a smokescreen) it could backfire because the team that really wants him would then deal with the team in front of us (Vikings I believe) to make sure they get him. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Yea I do...it's all pretty tricky. I guess you gotta show a little interest so they are willing to give you something but not enough to where they think it'll be cheaper to go a pick ahead. lol
Old 02-13-2007   #11
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
Brady Quinn would be a good pick at #8. He should sit under Sage for at least the start of the season and Gary should insert him when Brady looks like he's ready. We have to think towards the future. We can't have a WIN NOW attitude.
Old 02-13-2007   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy_Chris View Post
Brady Quinn would be a good pick at #8. He should sit under Sage for at least the start of the season and Gary should insert him when Brady looks like he's ready. We have to think towards the future. We can't have a WIN NOW attitude.
We've been looking toward the future for 5 years & we still havent made the playoffs.

It's about time we instituted a WIN NOW attitiude.

I want to get the best players available in this draft, not the players with the most potential. That's where you find guys like Ryan Leaf.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #13
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We've been looking toward the future for 5 years & we still havent made the playoffs.

I want to get the best players available in this draft, not the players with the most potential. That's where you find guys like Ryan Leaf.
Or Dan Marino
Old 02-13-2007   #14
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I agree with you partly. But, you have to remember that the past 4 years were under Dom Capers and his staff of half-wits. Gary and Rick, in my opinion, need to do this the right way. Yes, we do need to win now...guys like Jake Plummer can do that. On the other hand...3 or 4 years from now it will be time to find another QB. The QB position is where you need a stable guy that's gonna be there for years to come. I don't like the idea of 'pieceing' together a team for the next couple of years. We need to build something in Houston that's going to serve as the foundation for the future of the franchise.

On a side note, Bob McNair recently mentioned the positions he would like to bolster this offseason. Among them were:

Safety (agree...Brown and Earl are NOT starting caliber safeties)
Running Back (disagree...Taylor, Dayne, Lundy)
Defensive Tackle (agree)
Quarterback (Brady Quinn in Round 1 would be great)
Wide Receiver (David Ball in Round 6 would be awesome)
Outside Linebacker (David Harris in Round 3 would be excellent)

What about CB? (Daymeion Hughes, David Irons, Corey Graham)
What about OL? (Josh Beekman, Brandon Frye) *Steinbach is the top free agent guard*

Why does he insist on ignoring the offensive line problem? Can somebody explain this please????
Old 02-13-2007   #15
real

If Quinn Slides we need to use that to our advantage and trade down. I'm pretty sure there would be a team or two that would want to trade up for Quinn.
Old 02-13-2007   #16
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take him....if he wasn't available this year. We have too many other needs to address first.

I did read an article that had some scout saying Quinn could fall to the 4th or 5th round. To me, and IMO, that is ludicrous. Good pocket presence, a sick arm, and mobile when he needs to be.
Old 02-13-2007   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

best quarterback in the draft. will be an excellent player. smart, tough, great leadership, wins games, unbelievable TD/INT ratio, doesn't make bad decisions, sound mechanically, big, strong, good arm, accurate, experience in a difficult pro offense (and GREAT success in that offense), had some big comebacks, got better each year at notre dame...pretty much the prototypical QB prospect and basically a lock to be very good in the NFL.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #18
Navy_Chris
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I would take him....if he wasn't available this year. We have too many other needs to address first.

I did read an article that had some scout saying Quinn could fall to the 4th or 5th round. To me, and IMO, that is ludicrous. Good pocket presence, a sick arm, and mobile when he needs to be.
I think drafting for need is all a personal philosophy, not necessarily the best way to go in the early rounds. For example, Tampa will PROBABLY draft Calvin Johnson. Do they need him??? He definitely won't hurt them...they need a QB, but they're not gonna reach for a guy like Russell or Quinn.

My point is, DON'T draft purely out of what you need the most. I would always prefer to take the best player available, and if the BPA is a guy that would also fill a need for me. ADDED BONUS!!
Old 02-13-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
i read that article too. that scout doesn't know what he's talking about. trying to sell magazines. he compares him to joey harrington. idiocy. they really don't have much in common.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #20
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

No matter who we get at QB they are going to be sitting with the clipboard for at least a year (ideally). I wouldn't be opposed to a Plummer - Sage - Quinn lineup if the coaches thought Quinn could be that guy and he was their BPA. Now if they think they can find someone similar later on then do that, but don't pass on Quinn just because you think it will set us back.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read