Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-12-2007   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2008 QB Draft Class...

I know this is early but I was kind of wanting to look ahead to next year's QB's. It is very very likely Russell will be chosen before us this year, Not very many people would want us to draft Quinn if he fell to us. That leaves us Stanton in the 2nd? Troy Smith, Kevin Kolb...etc. There are pros and cons for all these guys...but with a team like us with so many other needs i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft one this year. i expect to see carr/sage....maybe plummer. for next season

So that brings us to 2008, possibly picking up a QB in the draft. David Carr would have 1 year left on this team if he stays...and they don't give him another 3 year ext. !!! maybe plummer would be here but i'd hope it'd be a short contract.

Brian Brohm- Louisville
Chad Henne- Michigan
Colt Brennan- Hawaii
JohnDavid Booty- USC
Erik Ainge- Tennessee

Those are the top 5 i think. What are the pros/cons for each guy...who do yall really like, would want us to draft.. it's hard to tell where these guys will go w/ next season still having to be played out.

I don't know much about any of them but my fav is Brohm..i'm really impressed with him. I would hope he would fall to us and think he could be a great fit. I see him as the #1 QB...hands down right now. and will probably be picked before us...i hope we don't have that bad of a season next year.

Feel free to talk about other QB's we could draft...thanks..
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 QB Draft Class...

I think the Texans really missed out when Brian Brohm went back to school. If their intention was to draft a QB I think he has the best makeup of this year's class and next year class. There was a good chance Brohm would have been available at 8.

Last edited by Texian; 02-12-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #3
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

Brennan plays for Hawaii-Con
Ainge doesn't play decent under pressure. Needs lots of time. Instead consider Brent Schaeffer (now at Ole Miss) really improved passer, but can scramble. Makes smart plays and does much better without any time to make reads. More mature QB
Old 02-12-2007   #4
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

None of those guys have a "wow" factor. I only like Brohm, but he just cant seem to stay healthy...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat View Post
Instead consider Brent Schaeffer (now at Ole Miss) really improved passer, but can scramble. Makes smart plays and does much better without any time to make reads. More mature QB
If we draft Schaeffer I will instantly lose all respect for this FO...unless he really picks it up this next season. I watched all his games last season..and its been sad. I bought his jersey as a joke and everyone laughs when i wear it....it was on clearance for $14.99. Luckily we got Jeavan Snead...so I hope he picks up the #7 when Shcaefer leaves.
Old 02-12-2007   #6
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

To clarify, I didn't mean to draft him anytime before round 6. But i wouldnt get ainge before then either.
Old 02-12-2007   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm not overly fond of the QB's next year. I think that Ainge and Brohm will battle for top QB next year. Ainge losing Meachem hurts, and Brohm losing Bush and his Coach hurts.

I don't remember if Perilloux is a JR or not, but watch out for this kid.
Old 02-12-2007   #8
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Well, I'm not overly fond of the QB's next year. I think that Ainge and Brohm will battle for top QB next year. Ainge losing Meachem hurts, and Brohm losing Bush and his Coach hurts.

He'll be a RS soph...
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat View Post
To clarify, I didn't mean to draft him anytime before round 6.
Yea I figured you were talking about him way down there. Michael Spurlock is similar to him...I think he got drafted last year by the Cards? he's more of a receiver/returnman not I believe. he was qb for ole miss.

I don't really want us to pick up a quarterback on the 2nd day unless our staff absolutetly loves him. The chances of him making it to even our 3rd string would be so minimal...i'd rather take a chance on oline depth for like a back up or get lucky with a guy that has a better chance to start. Of course qb's in rds 1-3 still aren't sure things by any means...but they're usually much better. And I know tom brady was drafted in like the 6th but let's get serious-that's like winning the lotter.
Old 02-13-2007   #10
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz

colt brennan
pros: strong arm, accurate, can run a little
cons: plays in weaker conference, too skinny (6'3 190lbs.), needs to get up to 205/210 lbs., poise/leadership(very quiet)
Old 02-13-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

A year is a long ways away, but I think I like those guys over the ones the Texans would take this year. In fact, I'd rather we build the team up, give Carr/Plummer a year at helm, and then decide on trading up to get one of these guys.
Old 02-13-2007   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No way Perilloux would enter the draft next year. He hasn't even played at LSU.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #13
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I'm no draft expert but from everything I have read and seen, Brohm does not fit our system at all. He is an immobile pocket passer without the ability to scrmable or throw on the run. That is the antithesis of what we need under center.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #14
real

Honestly so far, none of these QB's really impress me.
Old 02-13-2007   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Although the class doesn't look strong I think if a guy like Chad Henne has a big year he could propel himself to the top of the draft class. From the Texans point of view it will all depend obviously on how well the team does next year. If either Carr or Plummer or whoever does not perform well we may take a look at a guy like John David Booty.
Old 02-13-2007   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Although the class doesn't look strong I think if a guy like Chad Henne has a big year he could propel himself to the top of the draft class. From the Texans point of view it will all depend obviously on how well the team does next year. If either Carr or Plummer or whoever does not perform well we may take a look at a guy like John David Booty.
It would take some incredible numbers for me to want Henne on our team.

I have watched all of Michigan's games for the past two years and he is not very impressive at all.

He has a good strong arm and he is accurate on his deep balls.

But he has absolutely zero touch on his passes. He throws a 2 yd slant with the same velocity that he throws a 20 yd out or a deep post.

He also makes too many mistakes under pressure, and he is constantly under pressure because he holds the ball forever.

No thanks.

Michael Hart. Sure.

Chad Henne. Pass.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Chad Henne. Pass.
I'm with you...

He doesn't impress me much either...
Old 02-13-2007   #18
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
I'm still kinda bitter about the Perilloux situation. He committed to Texas but changed his mind at the last minute to LSU because he wanted to play right away and thought he would sit behind VY at UT. But now look at 'em. He sat all this time when he could have already been a star in burnt orange.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22 View Post
I'm still kinda bitter about the Perilloux situation. He committed to Texas but changed his mind at the last minute to LSU because he wanted to play right away and thought he would sit behind VY at UT. But now look at 'em. He sat all this time when he could have already been a star in burnt orange.
Oh well.

Texas already has a star at QB.

And he's a year younger.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #20
htownfoozball
Veteran

what about booty? does he fit? this class will be loaded on the offensive side of the ball if juniors declare with jackson and manningham at WR, a bunch of RB's, 3 or 4 true left tackles...it should be a much deeper draft than this year.
htownfoozball is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read